appointment

WBYeats

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:23 pm
situation:

In the street, on my way to my destination to see my friend, a person comes up and asks me to do a survey; what should I say to refuse?:

??Sorry, I have an appointment to see my friend.??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 753 • Replies: 13
Topic Closed
No top replies

Pearlylustre

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:27 pm
@WBYeats,
It would be more natural for me to say 'I have to meet a friend' though I'd probably just say 'Sorry, I don't have time.'
WBYeats

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:09 am
@Pearlylustre,
Thank you~

Do you think it's impossible to have 'appointments' with friends, and appointments must be formal?
WBYeats

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 11:07 am
Thank you~
0 Replies

Lady Lingiton

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 01:46 am
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
In the street, on my way to my destination to see my friend, a person comes up and asks me to do a survey; what should I say to refuse?:

??Sorry, I have an appointment to see my friend.??

I'd love to. But ...

(they smile , exeunt)

0 Replies

Linkat

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:52 am
@WBYeats,
No, thank you.

No need to say why - a simple no, thank you is all.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
Thank you~
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:13 am
One of them street survey people stopped me once and asked me if I'd like to come into a room above a pub where they had their computers, so I went out of curiosity.
About a dozen people were there who they'd pulled off the street and we had to sit at the computers pressing keys for about 20 minutes as questions kept coming up on screen like "Do you eat chocolate products", "Which ones?", "Rate this list of 10 products in order of preference" etc etc.
It was a complete and impossible shambles so I just kept pressing random keys and giving nonsensical jokey replies.
At the end of it we were thanked and given a pen and pencil set as a reward, ha ha!
0 Replies

contrex

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:44 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:
Do you think it's impossible to have 'appointments' with friends

Yes, since about 1850 approximately. You really must try to find some more modern reading matter.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:17 am
Thank you~
0 Replies

WBYeats

Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:44 am
If someone, you parents say, asks you what you're going to do this evening, and you have to meet you friends, which is pre-arranged, what would you say?:

?I've arranged to see my friends.?

Other ways?
JTT

Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
@WBYeats,
I'm goin' out with ... .

I'm meeting ... .

Me and ... are (doing STH).
0 Replies

contrex

Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:06 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

If someone, you parents say, asks you what you're going to do this evening, and you have to meet you friends, which is pre-arranged, what would you say?:

?I've arranged to see my friends.?

Other ways?

You could say that, or you might say "I'm going to see my friends", or name them e.g. "I'm going to see John, Mary and Peter". In informal speech native speakers usually do not say more than is needed, and it is understood that the meeting of friends was 'arranged'.
WBYeats

Fri 20 Jun, 2014 12:30 am
@contrex,
Thank you~
0 Replies