Babies as wedding accessories?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
Reply to self, proud of you for not working in bridle trail drag, but there are mental connections to that, maybe for some reading.

A good friend is a dressage person, so I pick up re words. The interface is that I'm a word person; neither much of a hiker nor horse rider. But the train and trail words can get to people re putting a baby on it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Not sure - but I read it in USA today after hearing about it on the radio this morning. Now granted it says allegedly. So maybe the baby wasn't tied but free-floating. The mom's quote is well-secured.

she may be a well intentioned mom - but she is plain old dumb as bricks.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:17 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks, I'll look there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:22 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
you wouldn't fall over in shock thinking the child was being abused

Don't say I claimed she abused the child - I said she was stupid.

It is stupid. some decisions and choices are stupid - and she isn't moving the child a few inches on a blanket - she is moving an infant yards on the train of a dress for no reason.

Stupid.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:35 pm
@Linkat,
ok, sorry, you didn't say abusive.

but this leads to the question....if she wasn't being abusive, or neglecting the child, and the child was in no danger.....why is she stupid? and if she is stupid, what does that matter if the child wasn't hurt, and wasn't going to be?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:42 pm
@Linkat,
An infant of one month is fragile at the best of times.

What if someone just jerks the bridal train, even meaning to do that helpfully? There goes the neck..

I'm getting more anti.

I still think it is just stupidity in action.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:45 pm
@ossobuco,
To other matters, why is no one cashing in on making baby hats - horse race hats (ascot, etc.) with babies as flowers?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm awaiting Vera Wang's take on all this. (Haven't followed her company lately, but assuming it is still active.)
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 01:52 pm
@chai2,
I didn't claim that the child was safe either...the opposite in fact, but that doesn't mean she was abusive. Plenty of idiots do things or allow children to do things where they can be harmed but it is not considered abusive.

How is she stupid - well you can be non-abusive, not neglectful and still be stupid.

Some examples that are non-abusive, not neglectful but stupid:

Feeding a child lots of candy - stupid
Letting a child run around screaming their bloody head off - stupid
Letting a baby be alone in a room (even for a second) with a dog - stupid
Turning around to grab something while a baby is on itschanging table for just a second - stupid
Running to grab the phone for just a second while a toddler is in the tub - stupid
Dragging a newborn that has a weak neck down a long aisle - stupid.

All of these things are not likely to result in a child or baby being harmed, but there is potential for real harm to occur. And no reason to do so. Stupid is when a reasonable person would not such a thing.

Reasonable people have the sense that they keep their child away from harm and danger when it makes sense to do so. Parents are in charge and should have the God given common sense to put their child's safety over their own selfish wants and needs.

I don't think she meant to be selfish, or hurtful to her child. I think she is ignorant and unfornuately God did not provide her with the good common sense as a parent she should have - maybe she is right though that Jesus was watching out for her child. That poor child is going to need Jesus to help watch out for her as her mom seems to have something lacking.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually somewhere I read it said it wasn't actually a Vera Wang dress but a take off of one. Maybe Vera is already trying to distance her products from such people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 02:15 pm
Off to follow googly trains.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 02:39 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

What if someone just jerks the bridal train, even meaning to do that helpfully? There goes the neck..

I'm getting more anti.

Exactly Osso!

What happens if the bride trips on almost anything in her path as she's trudging down the aisle in high heel shoes (VERY LIKELY that's what she's wearing)?
roger

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 02:42 pm
Great idea, really. Wedding accessories are things you put into a photo album, and maybe look at on anniversaries.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 05:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

I'm getting more anti.

Exactly Osso!

What happens if the bride trips on almost anything in her path as she's trudging down the aisle in high heel shoes (VERY LIKELY that's what she's wearing)?

WTH's in her path, she's walking down the aisle with nothing in front of her.

Yeah, I'm contantly hearing of brides falling flat on their faces while taking that final walk of freedom.

The ER's are full of them.

Wait. Somebody in the congregation of people want to stop the wedding. That person had a one night stand with the groom, and she's called him twice now, once trying to reach him threw a mutual friend. The bride has just not had time to deal with it, what with stapling the baby with one of those drywall staplers, to her dress.

This other person chucks a bunch of marbles, banana peels and an oil slick directly in front of the bride, and the rest is history.

That baby is done for.

That baby in fact, has recently been pushed violently through a vagina, and was so traumatized it immediatley fell asleep afterwards.

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 05:55 pm
@Linkat,
I guess all Stupid people need to be sterilized.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:00 pm
@chai2,
eh? I am not slamming the mother and linkat has said she isn't either.. We are talking about this.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:14 pm
You know what I think is neglectful and Stupid.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VIF5Fd99UgU/TVjHEtuTumI/AAAAAAAAEIo/LAkHmf1PiZI/s1600/bike-trailer.jpg

I see people wheeling down the road with similar contraptions like this all the time. Not just side streets either.

No one complains about this though. Personally my heart as been in my throat a few times when I see how low these kids are, with cars (that the parent has no control over) whizzing past.

I've seen parents with a baby in a stroller who have walked up to a red light and are waiting to cross.
Unfortunately they fail to realize the stroller extends a few feet in front of them. I have seen strollers practically in the stream of traffic, while the parent is talking on their cell phone, or just staring off. Sometimes they have one or 2 other kids with them, holding onto the hem of her shirt.

No complaints from anyone there though.

Those jogging strollers? Oh yeah, they've been tested. No way will one tip over while running through the park with other people jostling, kids running around, dogs bouncing around. Those things look like deathtraps to me. You can really see you baby too when it's in that thing, so you know it's head and neck isn't bouncing around Rolling Eyes Oh wait, that's ok, the baby's strapped in. WHAT? It's Strapped IN?!

Meanwhile, a baby sleeping on top of a wedding train belongs to a stupid woman, who was not using the baby as an accessory, but as part of their day and the joining of 2 people.
Someone call CPS.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:21 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I've seen parents with a baby in a stroller who have walked up to a red light and are waiting to cross.
Unfortunately they fail to realize the stroller extends a few feet in front of them. I have seen strollers practically in the stream of traffic, while the parent is talking on their cell phone, or just staring off. Sometimes they have one or 2 other kids with them, holding onto the hem of her shirt.

No complaints from anyone there though.

it was the first pet peeve I ever posted online sometime around 1996 - before regular cellphone ownership days - now it makes me even crazier
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:28 pm
@chai2,
Women trip on just about anything when wearing high heels. Jennifer Lawrence tripped walking up to the stage and she was wearing a dress as long as your typical gown but without the very long train.

Just this afternoon, a lady walking by Grand Central Station literally had her heel stuck in a sidewalk curb contraction joint line. Her shoe came off of her feet. If for some weird reason you are going to assume that every church is built perfectly. Every rug laid down is secured perfectly. That every wedding is performed in a perfectly safe church (with no structural defects or wear and tear) then I'm not sure how to convince you of any possible accidents that could occur.

BTW: Jennifer Lawrence tripped twice at the Oscars. Maybe she was a little drunk/buzzed. What makes you think our bride in said scenario wasn't drunk or in perfect health or simply a klutz who never wears high heels?

http://i57.tinypic.com/1y0sg7.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/rc9de1.jpg

Jennifer Lawrence is younger then the bride in question. I bet she's also a thousand times better shape then the bride in question. In both scenarios, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was in her path. I suspect that management of theater are far more responsible for making sure the path and the carpet and the floor is far safer and cleaner then some nobody home town church with a very limited maintenance budget.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:32 pm
@chai2,
PS: The Mythbusters already proven that you really can't slip on a banana peel. That infamous concept of slapstick history was busted as not actually possible in the real world.