Does "his proposed research succeeding" mean "his proposed research that follows"?

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:12 am
Does "his proposed research succeeding" mean "his proposed research that follows"?

Context:

the spontaneous arising of something equivalent to DNA, really was a quite staggeringly improbable event. Suppose it was so improbable as to occur on only one in a billion planets. A grant-giving body would laugh at any chemist who admitted that the chance of his proposed research succeeding was only one in a hundred. But here we are talking about odds of one in a billion. And yet . . . even with such absurdly long odds, life will still have arisen on a billion planets - of which Earth, of course, is one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 342 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 11:00 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
"his proposed research that follows"?
No Ori, "proposed" means it's only in his head, in this case probably won't follow

I'm impressed by your relentless determination to learn our complex language. Without revealing anything critical to your ID, I wonder if you'd tell us something about yourself
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:23 pm
@dalehileman,
I meant what is the meaning of the word "succeeding" there.
You see now and then I failed to catch the nuances of English. So the time still doesn't come for me to introduce myself.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 10:42 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I meant what is the meaning of the word "succeeding" there.
You see now and then I failed to catch the nuances of English. So the time still doesn't come for me to introduce myself.

Succeeding in the sense of, "to accomplish something desired or intended" (second definition, American Heritage Dictionary).
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:29 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
So the time still doesn't come for me to introduce myself
Ori we won't hold you accountable

Or at least I won't
0 Replies