They are at it again

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:52 pm
fortunately america has a conscience
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:01 pm
Justify... To treat as if righteous and just; to pardon; to exculpate; to absolve.

Nothing done by others absolves the acts committed on those in US custody.

By international law, who may be held responsible for these acts? The following quote is from the Dean of International Law at Harvard...
Quote:
HAROLD HONGJU KOH: Well, the U.S. and its allies, the Coalition Provisional Authority, are functioning as an occupying power and they have obligations under the Geneva Conventions. But I wouldn't get carried away with how complicated this is going to be. There are two big points that can't be ignored. One is that war crimes law changed after World War II, so you can't simply point fingers and get away with it. Before Nuremberg, people who committed the crimes, actually physically did the acts, would say "I was just following orders," and people who ordered them would say "we didn't know what was going on." What Nuremberg made clear was everybody is responsible -- the people who did it and the people who ordered it. And so you can't simply point the finger at someone else and escape liability.

The second point is that whatever we know about Private Jeremy Sivits, he is not the person who created the culture of condoning these kind of acts which made this possible. None of the American soldiers in the picture seem to be afraid or to be embarrassed about what they were doing. They were clearly operating in an environment in which what they were doing was not just permitted but actually encouraged, and that means that somebody higher up created that environment. And those are the people who we really need to know who they were, what kinds of orders were given which made our ordinary foot soldier so contemptuous of the basic human rights of these detainees.
LINK

As to the charge that posters here demonstrate some lack of balance by not yelling about Iraqi instances of similar or worse behaviors...that's a false comparison because the acts we commit are not exculpated or lessened by the acts of others.

And it is fallacious argument because we are not talking here with Iraqi insurgents or foreign terrorists whom we might convince that they ought to behave differently or take the instigators to task.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:41 pm
Ultimately it does not matter what the Iraqi's do. The whole moral basis for our invasion (and it turned out there was no other basis) was that we did not do such things as torture prisoners and we were removing an evil monster who did. It turns out we then used this monster's prison to imprison Iraqi's and do the same thing. Not has ferociously as he did perhaps but most Iraqi's are unlikely to appreciate the nuances. In doing so we have destroyed that last rational we had for invading Iraq, the moral hight ground we claimed that in invading Iraq we were bringing civilization to a benighted country. It is obvious now that we were not and it is time we turned the mess we have created over to someone more responsible. Like the UN.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:23 am
No one wants to believe that their children, or the little kid who grew up down the street, and certainly not those Army soldiers from the base on the outskirts of town, whyIjustsawfourofthemattheDairyQueen,theylooksoyoung -- that someone "so nice" is capable of such horror.

Well, this is what war does to people.

From Reuters:

Quote:
CBS to Air U.S. Soldier's Video Diary of Iraq Abuse

WASHINGTON - An American soldier's video diary showing her disdain for Iraqi detainees who died in her charge is to be broadcast by a U.S. network on Wednesday, May 12, in a further escalation of the prisoner abuse scandal that has shaken the Bush administration and provoked world outrage.

CBS, which two weeks ago broadcast the first pictures of Iraqi prisoners being abused in Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad, said on Tuesday its "60 Minutes II" program would show video footage depicting conditions there and at another U.S.-run prison in southern Iraq called Camp Bucca.

CBS said the home video did not show scenes of abuse but included comments by the soldier, whose name was not revealed to protect her identity, that make clear her dislike for the camp and the prisoners under her control.

"I hate it here," she said on the tape. "I want to come home. I want to be a civilian again. We actually shot two prisoners today. One got shot in the chest for swinging a pole against our people on the feed team. One got shot in the arm. We don't know if the one we shot in the chest is dead yet."

In her video, the soldier described the hazards of Camp Bucca. "This is a sand viper," she said. "One bite will kill you in six hours. We've already had two prisoners die of it, but who cares? That's two less for me to worry about." The soldier also said about three prisoners broke out of the camp every week, but they did not try to escape when she was on duty.

"It's 'cause they are scared of me," she said. "I actually got in trouble the other day because I was throwing rocks at them."

More at this link.

This is just one reason why when you decide to attack another country, you'd better not have fabricated the rationales for doing so.

Even the soldiers who aren't maimed or killed are damaged.

Who said this wasn't like Vietnam? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:51 am
Quote:
It is obvious now that we were not and it is time we turned the mess we have created over to someone more responsible. Like the UN.

Would this be the same UN that most likely skimmed billions of dollars off the "Food for Oil" program that was supposed to help the Iraqi people?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:02 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
It is obvious now that we were not and it is time we turned the mess we have created over to someone more responsible. Like the UN.

Would this be the same UN that most likely skimmed billions of dollars off the "Food for Oil" program that was supposed to help the Iraqi people?

Ridiculous rejoinder. If true, how many individuals were involved? The false implication you make is that such would be systemic. If not, your argument is meaningless, other than as generalized and uncareful smear.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:59 am
blatham writes
Quote:
Ridiculous rejoinder. If true, how many individuals were involved? The false implication you make is that such would be systemic. If not, your argument is meaningless, other than as generalized and uncareful smear.

That's funny. I feel exactly the same way about your consistent attempts to blame the Abu Ghraib mess on George Bush.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:14 am
Foxfyre wrote:
blatham writes
Quote:

That's funny. I feel exactly the same way about your consistent attempts to blame the Abu Ghraib mess on George Bush.

To quote Taguba, the problem is "systemic".

But you'll be searching a long time to find a post of mine where I blamed Bush for this (other than as the President who began this action against Iraq). I have placed blame on Rumsfeld, and given the reasons why that's a credible position, not least of which was a quote from a PBS discussion by the Dean of International Law at Harvard...which has a clear implication for Bush too, but I didn't even make that explicit.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june04/trial_5-10.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:21 am
Given that the US never had any honourable intentions towards Iraq, given that the US can do what it will because no power on earth can stop it, and given that international law, the ICC and Geneva Conventions are just so much garbage as far as the US is concerned, WHY is anyone surprised that the US tortures people to extract useful information in a guerilla war?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:27 am
with all due respect to many nice and smart Americans I don't think anyone in the world outside of USA is actually surprised.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:36 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
with all due respect to many nice and smart Americans I don't think anyone in the world outside of USA is actually surprised.

sigh...I'm afraid that is true, though it applies as well to many inside the US.

Perhaps a Stoic view is in order...the tough stuff can help us grow.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:36 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Given that the US never had any honourable intentions towards Iraq, given that the US can do what it will because no power on earth can stop it, and given that international law, the ICC and Geneva Conventions are just so much garbage as far as the US is concerned, WHY is anyone surprised that the US tortures people to extract useful information in a guerilla war?

None of those are "given".
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:40 am
While I have no idea how many bases the US plans to build in Iraq, I do know that we plan to build the biggest embassy we have anywhere in the world. That's the current plan.

I find that curious. Why the biggest? Couldn't it just be one of the biggest, if that's considered so important. But no, the biggest. Is this something the Iraqis will appreciate?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:43 am
Why the biggest embassy/ The only one who needs a big embassy is a proconsul.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:45 am
Well I would like to think the USUK did have honourable intentions towards Iraq. In fact I was in two minds until quite recently in that I thought if we can build the new democratic Iraq etc etc then all the horrors we have been through might justify it.

But now i think I was conned over that just like wmd.

In fact all the "givens" I talked about are based on US actual behaviour, whereas you dispute these assumptions based on US fine words.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:46 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Is this something the Iraqis will appreciate?

Oh, san doute, mon vieux ami, how could they not? It will be right up there with Freedom, Democracy, reliable electric service, clean water and sewage/wastre removal services as the things for which they love us most.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:47 am
Dart

The US is building a network of 14 military bases throughout Iraq, mainly to guard the oil infrastructure.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:50 am
D'artagnan wrote:
While I have no idea how many bases the US plans to build in Iraq, I do know that we plan to build the biggest embassy we have anywhere in the world. That's the current plan.

I find that curious. Why the biggest? Couldn't it just be one of the biggest, if that's considered so important. But no, the biggest. Is this something the Iraqis will appreciate?

IIRC, the building will be the biggest and is already built. They are planning to use one of Saddams palaces as an Embassy because it is well fortified and fits the needs of the US embassy staff.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:50 am
You forgot, Set, to mention the internet, FOX News and Christian missionaries.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:55 am
Seems to me that having the biggest embassy in Iraq will be a bit like having all those US troops in Saudi Arabia until recently. I recall that was one of the issues that got Bin Laden all wound up.

I know, I know, we shouldn't let the likes of Bin Laden determine US policy, but wouldn't it make a little sense to be respectful of the local customs?
0 Replies