What and how do you know when your work is offensive?

Vivien

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:35 pm
well done ray, I agree with everyone that you can't sacrifice your principles

I too paint for myself and then select appropriate galleries - one gallery wasn't interested in my abstract pieces at first - just saying there was no market locally - but they now show them alongside the more representational works. All are equally valid to me. other galleries won't consider digital pieces and yet to me it is an important and valid creative element in my work, with as much work going into it as a painting.

no nudity is strange when you consider how many years paintings of nudes have been around.

Having said that, i wondered if they were permissible on A2K as i did a life drawing class for the first time in ages recently. I didn't post the drawing in case it wasn't permitted. Does anyone know?
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 04:17 pm
Thank you!

Well, the organization gets their founds from the government, so, is not the organization but the actual presidential administration who doesn't want nudity. They made a big fuss about it but you can't really see much.

I don't know if the piece was accepted or not yet but I loaded also some pictures and nothing is up yet, so, I won't know till tomorrow.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 10:51 pm
Another congratulations from me, Ray. And I'll bet it's just the beginning.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:26 am
Thank you JLN, I really hope so.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:41 pm
Here is the one of the painting that was not so welcome in that show:

Fragarden
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:22 pm
Do you know why Ray, what was the objection?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:08 pm
Whatever their reason, I think it's super.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:55 am
Joanne - they said, because of the naked male figure in the top right corner - facing forward - i could not have that one on the show, there is another one - a black male, naked barely covering himself. Last year they had a Photography show, somebody had a photo of two guys facing each other, one holding the other by the waist and forehead against forehead and few other photos similar to that one, they almost shut down the whole show. So, basically, I think they're just plain ignorants.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:17 am
Congratulations on getting into the show, Ray,
and to hell with rejection!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 10:56 am
Thank you Shepaints!

And here is the latest on that show:

I had only 4 pieces but only 3 were for sale.
The opening was on Friday, May 21, within 15 mins of the opening I sold all 3 pieces. I came out of the show feeling way more than happy about everything I had accomplished and I still really happy!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:22 am
CONGRATULATIONS, Ray. That's super, and as I suggested probably only the beginning.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:29 am
Absolutely excellent, Ray.....keep going and keep
selling!

To answer the question, you know your work
is offensive when it really irks , annoys and provokes its audience!!!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:59 am
Thank you both!

This was a very nice - unexpected experience. The last thing I had dream was to sale all in the first day, it has never happen before to me.

I will keep going for as long as I can and selling for as long as there are buyers. Twisted Evil

Thank you Shepaints - that makes a lot of sense!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 12:09 pm
well done!

... and with a proven track record the gallery will want to show your work again
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 12:40 pm
Thanks Vivien - I look forward to that one - Twisted Evil - as I don't know how my work is going to be like next year but hopefully better!
0 Replies