What and how do you know when your work is offensive?

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:52 pm
Unless of course, your life would be in danger because of it.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:03 pm
I don't think so, is more of a conservative statement that they are trying to make than anything else.
I possessed no secrets to try to revel them posting clues on my paintings as Da Vinci and if I did, I'll be taking a more direct approach, I like to go straight to the point. Twisted Evil

However, I might have a hard time getting my work anywhere else (maybe).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:04 pm
If and when I ever had an opportunity to exhibit my work I would not alter any thing to suit the sponser be it government or private.

http://www.heroism.org/class/1980/maplethorpe.htm

Lucky for me the Walter's in Baltimore offered up the exhibit after the NEA backed out at the behest of Jesse Helms.

Maplethorpe's work is wonderful - yes there are some nudes but so what. He is a photo aritist and does great work.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:28 pm
My mother once told me "There is nothing wrong with art but with the person who is trying to make sense of it, people is free to think and see anything, and they do think and see everything always influenced by their state of mind at the time and the way they were raised."

With the progress of time I have come to see it, there is nothing wrong with the paintings, movies, books or anything that is art - the problem comes when people make their won interpretation of things and take them as good and valid.
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:24 am
I believe if you kowtow to the aesthetic and moral values of others you will compromise your integrity as an artist. How people react to your work is their problem. As artists in the public domain we have to suffer the slings and arrows of rejection. Curators have many different ways of saying NO and some of them are not entirely honest. Personally I'd be thrilled to bits if someone thought my work to be dangerous or subversive, however I would probably take no notice of them simply because it isn't.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 10:33 am
Good point Louish!

People have called me many different things but I still painting in the same way.

I paint for myself, not for anyone. My work is a part of my feelings and my life. This is the medium I use to express my anger, frustrations, disappointments, happiness, and regrets (if any), disorientation, and depression within others. I have notice that many people have the misconception that we do things to satisfy their ego and curiosity, as if we owe them anything.

I do know and agree with you Louish, however they perceive my work, is their problem not mine!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:33 am
It IS nice, isn't it, Ray to get support from fellow artists. Integrity of expression does not necessarily mean that our work is good, but it does mean that it's authentic. And if it's not authentic, it's nothing. Keep in up. And please support us in our on-going efforts at artistic independence.
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:04 pm
Rayvatrap and JL Nobody,

Here! Here! What else do we create for? You have to be mentally ill to take up painting or the arts generally as a career option, there may or may not be a living to made out of it. There's something much more fundamental, primal even, going on; people need to tell their stories- what they see, what they do. It's journey, a very personal one, and if you make a living out of it - maybe god loves you.

I make half of my daily bread out of my work and I'm very grateful. I'm also a lucky bugger too.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:55 pm
JL - I do support the efforts of artistic independence, we are all struggling with our own independence and we have to support each other. Specially since we owe to each other our knowledge and courage to go on with our work.

Louish - It will be crazy to try to live from painting only, it is true. I don't live from it but I live for it. Every chance I have I invest in my work. Plus, we all are lucky to have our skills! Laughing
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:00 pm
Rayvatrap - Absolutely right. I hope I wasn't coming on too strong. The rest of my living comes from management/strategic planning consultancy.
Your sentiments are good. And you're right we are lucky. I'd put a smiley face here but I don't know how to activate them.
Re: JLN - I think your right about the 'meritocracy' and its values, they aren't applicable to the artists journey. It's about the individual and their soul. How many people confronted by genius give up?
Miles Davis more or less killed off lead trumpeters in modern jazz. He was a genius no doubt. But who cares - aspiring trumpeters I guess ?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:26 pm
How can an artist create art by holding back?

I have seen all types of art and loved some, hated some, could care less about some, was offended occasionally, and brought to tears with pure pleasure now and again.

Isn't this the whole point of art - to invoke an emotion in someone who views it? It would be pretty boring if only one type of art were allowed to be viewed. Like life itself, I am interested in a wide variety and I don't have to love it all. Tto see comparisons and ranges is to invoke an appreciation I otherwise would not have.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:49 pm
Louish - no you were not coming up to strong at all, I do understand where you are coming from and know what you mean. I'm just really happy I get to talk about this things with people that can understand me. It is hard when you have to talk about things like this with people that don't really understand or see art the way we do.

I'm lucky to have a really sportif mother and brother, who are also artists, and all they do is encourage me to keep on going and help me to develope ideas, because the rest of my family - I'm ashamed to say it - have no taste for art.

Heeven - you are so right - people can either love it, hate it or just feel nothing for it.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 07:15 am
Today is the day when I will find out weather my work will be accepted on this collective exhibition or not. Either way, I have already made of my mind and I wont even offer other options. At the moment, I'm taking part of a larger collective exhibition and they don't seen to have any problem with my work, so, if they don't like it, I will be able to set all my attention to the larger exhibition.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:43 am
Good for you Rayvatrap stay true to your soul.
0 Replies

Louish

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:00 pm
Good luck Rayvatrap.

If you stay true to the qualities you hold most dear you'll be OK. If they don't like it, tough.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 02:09 pm
Rayvatrap, I wish you good luck as well. I suspect that in wishing you good luck we are doing so for ourselves as well. I, for one, identify with you in this matter.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:19 pm
Dear Rayvatrap,

Sometimes being rejected from an exhibition we really want to be accepted into is a compliment in itself!

....if that makes any sense!

sp
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:26 pm
Thank you very much everybody!

I just got back and all my work was accepted, they gave me a bit of a hard time but I got, also, support from the rest of artist. It was so unexpected that still can believe it.

One battle to our favor in NYC!!!

I have added one of the paintings that is to be in the exhibition.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:30 pm
Shepaints - it will make sense depending from were you look at it, and from my point of view, it does make sense, thank you!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 10:28 am
Congratualtions Ray on the acceptance of your work and on getting the support of your peers.

sp your are so cool - rejection can be a triumph, I love that point of view.
0 Replies