What and how do you know when your work is offensive?

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:05 pm
How will you determine if your artistic work is or will be offensive to the public or God, do you take this in account when you start a new piece? What position do you take if any of your work comes across as disturbing and offensive after is too late to pull it back into the shadows? Do you take in account the church, the public or anybody in particular? What sort of standard should we have, if any?

Will any of you step down from an exhibition if you had to modify your technique, change you line of work, just to satisfy a politician or the actual government administration or will you just go with the flow:?:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,517 • Replies: 54
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:18 pm
I would have to say that if you don't let out your entire soul into your art, you are holding yourself back creatively, and becoming a puppet of society, rather than a true artist.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:37 pm
So Cavfancier - you do not pay attention to society when it comes to your work?

I am really curious on the the topic.

I'll be taking part on another show in and I was just told non of my work should have nudity of any kind, nothing that could be interpreted as a sexual act or offensive to the government, to which I will probably respond with a "no Thank you, but no".

Most of my work has nudity or something that could be taken as a sexual act or more of a sensual act, plus, I think nudity is the most original expression of beauty.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:44 pm
Well, I am not a visual artist, I am a private chef, an art in itself. I find myself forced to comply with societal dictates and trends, and of course, what my clients want. However, my spirit tells me that educating your clientele to new experiences, new sensations, is a necessary part of my job. If I didn't challenge people, even if it's in a small way, I would just be doing work, and that would kill me. As for god, well, that doesn't come up much in my field.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:53 pm
Great reply, Cav. And it applies perfectly to the visual arts as well. Rav, who are your clients? Sounds like a fundamentalist church.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:08 pm
Agree!

Also, is a way to make things a bit more interesting in life. I paint as a way of expressing my most darkest feelings, so, in my case, there will be always somebody that will be offended with one of my pieces. Still, I always find somebody that likes my work and find it most interesting, for that, I'm grateful! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:10 pm
Hey, Rayvatrap, if you have some photos of your work, upload them to the A2K gallery. I'm sure we would all want a look.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:11 pm
JLN - Actually, is the a not for profit organization supported by the government!
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:15 pm
There are 3 photos of my work already on the gallery, under original art - 2nd page.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:20 pm
I will look them up. Wink
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:53 pm
Cool!

These are not the reason for all the noise but it will give you an idea of the line of work! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Ray I could not find them can you give us a link?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:04 pm
I found them in the gallery, page 2 of original art, Joanne. Nice work.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:12 pm
Thank you Cav!

Here is the link:

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=2
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:13 pm
here is a more exclusive link Laughing

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=13344
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:19 pm
Why do you think I could not find them? Do you have a private gallery?
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:25 pm
no, I don't!

They are in the second page under original art.

Laughing

Joanne - what is your opinion on the topic?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:15 pm
Fear no art that is my eternal opinion. You art is different in that you show lots of style and you know eyeballs out of their sockets are a little scary to some. But I try to follow the good advice of one of my many mentors here at A2k, shepaints, I like surprises and I like different.

So that means I like it and think that you are very creative. The colors are especially good for me.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:26 pm
Joanne - Thank you very much!

Now, will any of you step down from an exhibition if you had to modify your technique, change you line of work, just to satisfy a politician or the actual government administration or will you just go with the flow:?:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:50 pm
Rayvatrap wrote:
Joanne - Thank you very much!

Now, will any of you step down from an exhibition if you had to modify your technique, change you line of work, just to satisfy a politician or the actual government administration or will you just go with the flow:?:

Hell no...
0 Replies