Reparations To American Blacks... Yes/No?

BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Prized for the strength in their back muscles, systematically taught that they are intellectually about par with the mule, disallowed education, beaten and/or lynched at the whim of the "masters" when they were slaves and as much of the same as they could manage during reconstruction, into the mid 20th Century - No other ethic groups were treated like this, in this country.

Come on look up the history of the Chinese and the Japanese on the West coast of the US for examples of mistreatment that is little better if any to Blacks..

wmwcjr

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 07:47 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Peter said:
Quote:

(Acts 10:34, 35) . . . For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

BTW, Fabulini; that included the Ethiopian eunuch converted and baptized by Philip.

Neo, you're casting your pearls before swine.
giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most blacks I know who used to agree with afirmative action have reconsidered. I believe the attitude presently is they want achievement based on merit...not a hand out. I think the time is past for afirmative action. While it may have been a useful tool upon inception it is merely a political tool now and often misapplied.
wmwcjr

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
The record is clear: If political conservatives had had their way from the 1940s through the 1970s, we would still have Jim Crow today.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:05 pm
@giujohn,
That's black people you know. I will wager you know a small fraction of them, at most.
giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
And you make this asssumption based on.....
neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:37 pm
@wmwcjr,
neologist wrote:
Peter said:
Quote:

(Acts 10:34, 35) . . . For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

BTW, Fabulini; that included the Ethiopian eunuch converted and baptized by Philip.
wmwcjr wrote:
Neo, you're casting your pearls before swine.
Oh, drat! Now Romeo will add another to his list of charges against me.
Neologist said Swinehund!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:42 pm
@giujohn,
And you have discussed the matter, personally, with how many black persons?
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes indeed middle class and upper middle class and beyond blacks children should get special treatments and put ahead of poor and working class whites by the government due to their skin color and history that are many generations in the past.

Programs can be tailor to aid the poor and working class that would end up benefiting blacks to a far larger extend then other racial groups as long as they are not doing as well as as those other groups, without a bit of reverse racism by the government needed.

Racism Edgarblythe is no more pretty if the victims are whites instead of blacks.
giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I went back to college in the 90s studying Political Science and Sociology. I would hazard a guess that in the last 20 years the number easily approaches a hundred
neologist

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:50 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Come on look up the history of the Chinese and the Japanese on the West coast of the US for examples of mistreatment that is little better if any to Blacks..
You are, or course, partly right. Our dear forbears were wickedly cruel to any having non white skin color. American treatment of Indians, Chinese, and Japanese is a national embarrassment. Still, those groups were not kidnapped from their ancestral homes, bought and sold as cattle, and deprived of their family ties.

Shame motivated equalization tactics have not seemed to work. I have no solution to offer other than a restructure of the American psyche. And, as I said before, I have no idea how that might be accomplished.
giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:57 pm
@BillRM,
What?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:04 pm
@giujohn,
College people and not the ones back home?
edit
or perhaps the state you are in
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:05 pm
@giujohn,
I keep that guy on ignore.
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:15 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Still, those groups were not kidnapped from their ancestral homes, bought and sold as cattle, and deprived of their family ties.

Oh? The Chinese railroad workers was not allowed to bring in their wives and families with them, Indians tribes was move from one end of this nation to the other by force,Japaneses was not allowed to own properties in CA and instead needed to play games like 99 years rent agreements.

An of course the force movement of Japanese population from the West Coast into camps in the 1940s.

Quote:
Our dear forbears were wickedly cruel to any having non white skin color

Next our ancestors was not outstanding in the poor treatments of others, see the treatments of non-Japanese peoples during .WW2 by the Japanese or how Korean guest workers are being treated to this very day in Japan.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:16 pm
I believe that institutional racism no longer exists to any large degree in the U.S.
Perjudice will always exist...it is the nature of mankind to gravitate torward people of simular attributes.
Where it becomes a problem is when a certain race polarizes and resists assimiltion into society as a whole. In it's stuggle for identity after the civil rights movement of the 60s the U.S. black population chose poarization more so than assimiltion.
I believe this attitude was fostered by liberal politicians and their social engineeering which allowed for the destruction of the nuclear family in the black community taking away the strong male infuence that all teenage males need for proper social developement. This system became self-perpetuating through the 70s and into subsequent generations.
giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
I went to collge near home...in upstate N.Y. and still live here.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh...ok good advice
BillRM

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:30 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
h...ok good advice

Damn good advice for anyone who does not wish to need to defense his or her logic
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 09:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
It’s true that the black experience in America is very different and much harsher than that of any other group of immigrants. Arguments can be made that the experience of Chinese immigrants was quite harsh, and it certainly was, but it was still not on par with what blacks experienced.

Still, there remains a responsibility of individuals and groups themselves to overcome obstacles if they are to ever thrive. All the assistance in the world will not provide them with the position that is rightfully theirs, if they cannot or will not accept this responsibility. Truthfully, a very great many African-Americans have individually done just that and their accomplishments are admirable in light of what they have to overcome, but it does not appear that it has become a hallmark of African-American culture. There are many reasons for this and none have to with an inherent inferiority. Much is the sheer weight of their history in America and its deleterious effects, but some cause can be laid at the feet of programs intended to level the playing field.

It is a harsh truth that people, organizations and nations cannot be relied upon to right all wrongs that have been inflicted on some, and the energy that is devoted to righting wrongs is seldom, if ever, equal to the energy spent on inflicting them. Assistance should be given, but it can't be counted upon but those in need of it.

I agree that it is at best facile to compare the black experience in America with that of various groups of immigrants and argue that the latter's achievements in obtaining an equal footing in this country are directly comparable to the efforts of African-Americans, but such comparisons are, in part, an indication of the limits of people's endurance in trying to solve long standing problems. We can empathize with a person's plight and make reasonable efforts to compensate for the damage done to them, but we still should encourage them to take the prime responsibility for changing their situation. Not because of any airy notion of rugged individualism but because it is absolutely necessary, and no matter who holds high office or what promises are deserved or made, no one will care more about their lives then they themselves.

I don't at all agree that America is regressing in terms of its perception and attitude toward African-Americas. Obviously bigotry remains, but I see no reason to believe that this particular mindset (regardless of the target) will ever be eliminated, and if that is anyone's criterion for considering the problem solved, it never will be.

There are, however, legitimate questions regarding the efficacy of the programs that are intended to compensate for the deeply rooted hardships imposed on a group of people. Raising these questions is not a sign of back-sliding or racism. For example, whether or not school choice is truly a means to improve the education of disadvantaged children, it is not unreasonable to assert that it is, and it certainly is not a sign of racism masquerading as a solution. The comment by Chief Justice Roberts that “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race, is to stop discriminating on the basis of race,” may or may not be cogent to all, but it is of no possible benefit to achieving an effective solution to classify it as covert racism as a number of people engaged in the public debate of this issue have charged..

Most solutions require the expenditure of money, but spending money is not in and of itself a solution. If it's not spent on effective solutions it's money wasted. I still think that money spent on "reparations" would, in the end, solve nothing and could cause new problems.