Help, help,help,I need to improve my oral English

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 11:06 pm
I have been worried about my oral English since I came to the college, because there are many occasions where I need to speak English in public. However, my oral English is poor, and I spare no effort to improve my oral English. But I need
some advice now,hoping someone can help me. I would appreciate it very much if someone can help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,443 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 11:57 pm
@abby2014,
I am in the process of learning 'rapid French', trying to get my speed up so I can keep pace with the locals when I move there next year.
Someone pointed me towards 'earworm' CD's, which I now play pretty much continuously in the car and at home.
It has a background beat (rarely intrusive) which in a strange way helps me learn the phrase as if it was part of a song....over and over again, spoken by a male (english) and female (french) couple who are simply bouncing the phrase back and forth, dissecting it in the process.

So far it's working very well. Maybe you can google it and find out if they do a 'rapid english' course based on your mother tongue. They also do audio downloads, but I just happen to be from the CD generation.

Good luck.
Robert Clinton

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 12:13 am
@abby2014,
1. Hello abby,
It is very important to know the basics of the English language as nowadays To use the latest technology and proper use of the internet to get quality information we must have Written as well as oral English communication skill. This is the steps that help you to improve your Oral English communication skills:

1. Most important: Surround yourself with English speakers, so that you listen and learn in a better way.
2. Read children's magazines and books, English newspaper, novels with simple English languages.
3. Listen English music and local English FM/radio, watch English movies and channels
4. Make a list of 10 root words, prefixes, and suffixes and make sentences from these words to use in daily life.
5. Try to speak in English with your friends and forget about what others think.
6. No buddy is perfect, so don’t be afraid to make mistakes
7. Use "correcting" websites from the internet
8. Get Free English language-learning PDF from internet.
9. Record yourself and try to improve mistakes.
10. Spoken English games and Exercises.
All the best
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 12:37 am
@Robert Clinton,
Robert Clinton, you are either a bot or you think that you know more than you actually do, regarding the English language.

Your written English is poor, which leads me to believe that English is not your first language.

Please be careful about how you advise someone regarding spoken and written English, as already this morning, on another thread, you have got something completely wrong.
alexsimon

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 01:31 am
@abby2014,
You need to think in english. If you keep on thinking in your vernacular and try to translate it into englisg then you can never improve your spoken English.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:30 am
@Lordyaswas,
spam bot...call and response
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 02:23 am
@abby2014,

Visit the BBC website and order yourself some recorded or educational material. There's a lot available.
Or just listen to some of the output online or on the airwaves.
Programmes like "From Our Own Correspondent, "The Moral Maze", or even "The Archers" for everyday speech.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I am in the process of learning 'rapid French', trying to get my speed up so I can keep pace with the locals when I move there next year.

This sort of thing can help; so can watching TV and films in the target language, but the only way to make bigger steps in my opinion is to live there (it's called 'immersion') for at least 6 months to 1 year. One issue problem I have found in getting to the chatting stage is that the locals, especially the younger ones, all want to try out their English on me. I think you will find that living there and making a deliberate effort trying to conduct as much as possible of your daily life in French will do a lot. Makes shopping fun too.

0 Replies

brandonsays

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:24 pm
@abby2014,
I would think that letting English native speakers know about your desire to improve would be helpful. Many are reluctant to correct the speech of others out of fear of offending them. Make it clear that you need their help, and are not offended when corrected. After all, how would you otherwise know what needs work?

Best wishes in your endeavor. Your written English is beautiful, btw.
0 Replies