Rush Limbaugh Crossed The Line. Again.

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 06:40 pm
While most Americans were disturbed - even enraged - to some degree over the Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal, I suspect there is one sizeable chunk of the nation, Rush Limbaugh Land (population around 21 million), where the most enraging aspect of the scandal was that Americans cared.

I submit the following quotes as proof of this. From Rush Limbaugh's website, here

"This is not as serious as everybody is making it out to be. My gosh, we're all wringing our hands here. We act like, 'Okay let's just die,' you know? 'Let's just give up. What can we do to make these people feel better? Let's just pull out of there, and let's just go. Let's just become a neutral country. Let's just do that.' I mean, it's ridiculous. It's outrageous what's happening here, and it's not -- and it's not because I'm out of touch; it's because I am in touch, folks, that I can understand. This is a pure, media-generated story. I'm not saying it didn't happen; I'm [not] saying the pictures aren't there, but this is being given more life than the Waco invasion got. This is being given more life than almost -- it's almost become an Oklahoma City-type thing. One more Bush sound bite, and the president continued explaining how real democracy works here."

More insanity below:

"This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation, and we're going to ruin people's lives over it, and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You [ever] heard of need to blow some steam off?"

Comparing torture to the initiating rituals of a college fraternity?

According to Major General Taguba, whose published the most authoritative report on the prisoner abuse thus far, the methods utilized included:

Quote:
Breaking chemical lights and pouring the phosphoric liquid on detainees; pouring cold water on naked detainees; beating detainees with a broom handle and a chair; threatening male detainees with rape; allowing a military police guard to stitch the wound of a detainee who was injured after being slammed against the wall in his cell; sodomizing a detainee with a chemical light and perhaps a broom stick, and using military working dogs to frighten and intimidate detainees with threats of attack, and in one instance actually biting a detainee.

Doesn't sound like any frat I've ever heard of....

To Rush, this is essentially geo-political spilled milk:

"I don't understand what we're so worried about. These are the people that are trying to kill us. What do we care what is the most humiliating thing in the world for them? There's also this business of them all wearing hoods and how that's also very humiliating. You can see more guys wearing hoods at a [Sen.] Robert Byrd birthday party 40 years ago than we've seen in these prisoner photos."

Nevermind the fact that - and, again, I'm referring to general Taguba's report - 60% of the civilian inmates had already been deemed "no threat to society," which should have allowed them to be released.

He tops it off, a little later on, by adding:

"Folks, somebody asked you what you think about this prisoner thing just tell them the truth and I guarantee you the more people you will tell the truth will say yeah, I agree with you, than you know....They have to act outraged and surprised because that's what they think is expected of them."

....what scares me most is that I have a sneaking suspicion that his final comments might be a tad closer to the mark than they should be.

Homies, every once in a while, something is said so remarkably retarded that I don't feel the need to rant. This is once such instance. Instead, I will merely post his words, and let his self-evident moral and intellectual bankruptcy speak for itself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,529 • Replies: 44
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:34 pm
He must need either more drugs or less drugs. It is really hard to figure out where he comes up with this garbage.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:44 pm
I don't know. I had a friend on the rugby team in college, and he told me they used to crown a "rugby queen" at parties. Once she was slobbering drunk, they would all circle around and piss all over her.

I could see how people wouldn't think this stuff was so bad, when we do similar crap to ourselves just for fun.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:48 pm
Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:58 pm
IronLionZion:

Don't forget a small handful right here on able2know (they will go unmentioned -- not worth the energy to type their names) who seem to think the behavior at Abu Ghraib is A-OK.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 09:45 pm
If I was relying on John Ashcroft and friends to keep me out of Walla Walla - I might try and send a bit of positive spin their way too.

The man's a criminal for f@ck's sake. If he wasn't a male, white and stinkin' rich he'd be in the same cell as Tommy Chong (selling bongs and pipes) or Courtney Love (illegal possession of prescription painkillers).
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:22 pm
You really think there are people here who would agree with him? If so, I would love to hear it.

I can understand some of the treatment, in order to get information out of them that might save some of our troops lives, such as:

Hoods (creates confusion, etc)
Isolation
Sound (playing certain kinds of music, or sounds repeatedly)
Restraints (to a certain degree)

But what just can't be justified in my eyes are all those other things:
Pouring chemicals from broken lights on them
Beating with sticks
Making them wear womens clothing
Allowing females troops to tease them while naked (b/c of the whole culture thing)
The "human pyramids" (what the hell was THAT about?)
Dog attacks (from what I understand, the dogs weren't just used to scare them, but one actually bit an inmates leg)
And that's just to name a few.

Bottom line:
Only allow us to do to them what we would reasonably allow others to do to our POW's. Yeah, they might do bad things to our troops, but we have to hold ourselves to a certain standard. Particularly when we are holding captive quite a few who wind up being no threat to our troops at all.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:55 pm
Why all this furor about Limbaugh? No one with an ounce of brains listens to him. You only encourage the idiots by bringing him up. He is to me a non-entity.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:14 am
JustanObserver I never listen and have only tired to watch him twice. Both experiences were very odd. He made no sense to me.

Welcome to A2k BTW.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:24 am
Well I can proudly say I have never heard of Rush Limbaugh. (Is is some sort of skin disease?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:26 am
No, Boss, its a mental condition . . .
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:26 am
Yes and it is big and fat and ugly and on drugs. You have not missed a thing. There is no there there.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:43 am
Quote:
its a mental condition . . .

oh I see thanks... like a rush of blood to the limbaugh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:48 am
Yes . . . exacerbated by drug abuse and self-promotion . . .
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:49 am
"Why all this furor about Limbaugh? No one with an ounce of brains listens to him." mporter

If we believe the numbers in the media, Limbaugh still reaches 20 million Americans on his radio program.

Not a vast number, but a sizeable audience. However, of late, Limbaugh's been given to making comments that are so off-the-wall, you have to question not only his sobriety, but his intelligence and mental state.

He characterized the Iraqi prisoner abuse as "MP's just blowing off steam," recently. Hitler would've been well served by the like of Rush Limbaugh.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:53 am
A lot of intelligent people listen to Rush. Intellect is not a barrier to stupidity in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:23 am
Steve, for a little perspective on Rush's place in the hearts of liberal America, here's a little joke which circulated a few years ago:

What's the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hidenberg?

Well, one is a fat Nazi gasbag.

The other is just a dirigible.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:35 am
I think more liberals listen to Limbuagh, so they can complain about him, than conservatives do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:41 am
I am proud to say that the clown has never soiled the speakers of any radio to which i have listened.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:18 am
getting quite intrigued about this Lush Rambo fella.

Must see if I can track him down on the net...on second thoughts, think I'll have a beer. Its after 6pm here.
0 Replies