5-HTP revisited

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 11:48 am
This med, which I've found very helpful, is apparently still pretty controversial. For instance its claimed that less than 200 mg three times a day is ineffective. Yet I've found the 100-mg tab to provide relief

Incidentally it takes about an hour; then the effect lasts several hours. It's claimed to be a timed-release good for the entire day but I doubt it

https://www.google.ca/#q=habitual+use+of+5-htp

Mine doesn't include C and B6 but I do take vits separately

Wonder if anyone hereabout has tried it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 12:18 pm
@dalehileman,
Sorry guys, that link s/b

'https://www.google.com/#q=habitual+use+of+5-htp

Incidentally wondering if habit-forming it loses its effectiveness
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 12:55 pm
I had been taking 5-HTP to support the Zolft I take due to the fact my body is impaired with "holding on to" the serotonin.

I definately felt a difference, and it also was increasing my lean body mass. I was definately starting to lose weight.

Unfortunately, it gave me intestinal problems. It seems my body was doing the best it could as far as absorbing serotonin, and the extra serotonin the 5-HTP was helping contain gave me issues.

My nutritionist suggested stopping it for a few days, then starting again to see what would happen. Same results.

He changed me to tryptophan. It's fine, but I sure wish I could take the 5-HTP.

It's awesome stuff.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:37 pm
@chai2,
Thanks Chai for your pertinent response, a rarity hereabout. Let's hear more such reports
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 12:20 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
It's awesome stuff.
Indeed it is. Incidentally Chai though it's supposed to be 12-hr time-release, I'm wondering just how long you found its positive effect to last
0 Replies