Why now? It's a campaign year.

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:32 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
As long as the left keep hammering away trying to misdirect the debate on Abu Ghraib, I think the rest of us have to keep the debate focused where it should be.

Utter bullshit.

The rest of you go on thinking Bush is going to be President in six months.

That's folly you deserve to be distracted about Cool .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:33 pm
No comparison? Hmmm - well, there is no proof Bush knew - while I think we are quite right to believe that Hussein did - and approved and ordered.

Beyond that, re the treatment, well, the US guards hadn't had a lot of real time to get going, yet.

Seem to have been doing a pretty good job of following following in Hussein's footsteps, 'til the pictures came out.

Humans be humans.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:30 pm
Quote:
The lack of outrage from the left re the unbelievable atrocities committed by terrorists both in Iraq and elsewhere is completely mystifying.

Careful thought would demystify.

Here, I'll yell out really loud...

"Iraqi insurgents!! Terrorists in Iraq!! We abhor any and all acts of cruelty and torture and killing which you commit. These are moral wrongs. Please stop. We are truly and sincerely OUTRAGED!! Please bring all those responsible to justice."

Ok, so now that is done. Things ought to go better now. If we don't see a change, perhaps I could repeat this announcement (and sincere opinion) daily.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:07 am
I just put this link on another thread, but you guys would want it too, I think.

From PBS newshour last evening, an interview with Zimbardo and others...it's really quite exceptional.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june04/prisoners_5-11.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:48 am
Thanks for the link, blaham!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:31 am
Foxfyre wrote:
If you needed information to protect the lives of the U.S. military and contractors and Iraqi citizens, and threats of pain and death were ineffective, how would you get it?

I just posted a post in my "Americans tortured .." thread that addresses your post too, so I'll copy it here:

--------------

Sofia, tentatively, suggested the consideration that sometimes, a degree of torture may be necessary to save lives:

Sofia wrote:
We know isolation, food restrictions, nudity, cold blasts of water...happen when an army is desperate to get information about impending attacks... If you know, or strongly suspect, a detainee has information that can save innocent life--how far do you go to get that information? I think its a pertinent question.

What happened at Abu Ghraib may not fall into this basic conversation--but the application of some questioning techniques, which may be called torture...juxtaposed with the information considered vital to saving people-- considered with upholding Human Rights is a paradoxical mess.

The line of argument has been proposed much more forcefully in other posts: what happened at Abu G. was terrible, but you shouldn't forget we're desperate to get information from terrorists that could save lives. McG quoted an article on it:

McGentrix wrote:
U.S. officials hate to talk about it openly, but a primary function of places like Baghram and Abu Ghurayb is interrogation. The lives of American soldiers can depend on secrets spilled there.

Now, from the start I've asked here - were these inmates that were being abused confirmed terrorists or mere suspects? And were they (suspected) Al-Qaeda terrorists or Iraqi insurgents?

By now, we know that many of those at Abu G. were indeed mere suspects, sometimes brought in on the vaguest notion of possible involvement at that. But back then (and perhaps still), people rather just skipped the question, as if it didn't matter whether it was a known Al-Qaeda terrorist we were holding there or some guy caught throwing stones and apprehended because, you know, you never know what else he mighta done -- hey, it's about "saving lives"!

Foxfyre went pretty far:

Foxfyre wrote:
I personally don't care if those who target innocents and are committed to kill anybody and everybody who doesn't conform to their beliefs are comfortable or not.

In Fox's world, everybody at Abu G. was "committed to kill anybody and everybody who doesn't conform to their beliefs" - the worst kind of fundamentalist terrorist, say. Unclear what that is based on. But why is it practical for him to assume so? Because it allows for rationalising what happened as the kind of unavoidable collateral damage when one is, as Fox put it, "in charge of some of Saddam's toughest soldiers who have information you need to bring the war to a speedy end and restore peace and progress toward a free and democratic Iraq".

Note that the inmates have now even morphed into "Saddam's toughest soldiers" - by mere assertion of such. And that the assumption is that the war in Iraq could be brought to "a speedy end" - peace, progress, freedom and democracy all included - if only we could get those prisoners at Abu G. to talk.

Anyway. This from the NYT last week:

New York Times wrote:
The questioning of hundreds of Iraqi prisoners last fall in the newly established interrogation center at Abu Ghraib prison yielded very little valuable intelligence, according to civilian and military officials.

The interrogation center was set up in September to obtain better information about an insurgency in Iraq that was killing American soldiers almost every day by last fall. The insurgency was better organized and more vigorous than the United States had expected, prompting concern among generals and Pentagon officials who were unhappy with the flow of intelligence to combat units and to higher headquarters.

But civilian and military intelligence officials, as well as top commanders with access to intelligence reports, now say they learned little about the insurgency from questioning inmates at the prison. Most of the prisoners held in the special cellblock that became the setting for the worst abuses at Abu Ghraib apparently were not linked to the insurgency, they said.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
When this story broke, my 21 year old daughter phoned me, worried that I would have become deeply upset from the news of what had gone on at Abu Ghraib. As it happened, I was just about to call her for the same reason.

The revelations of what had gone on, the building evidence that it was systemic, the attempts to obscure and obstruct proper investigation by Rumsfeld on down, the growing clues that suggested complicity up to Rumsfeld, the morally pathetic lack of responsibility by Bush for the events and the circumstances which created them...and the attempts by folks here, as noted in nimh's post, to flee the ugly realities of what this all said about the administration is a daily source of depression and deep anger for me.

Rant over.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 10:38 am
As far as I'm concerned, there's only two ways to look at this:

Either 1) the president knew what was happening in the prisons all along;

OR

2) the president, Rummy, et al should be fired for showing incompetence at picking their staff.

There's no two ways about it. Either they knew, and tried to keep it under wraps, or they didn't know, and are completely at the mercy of their staff, who apparently keeps all sorts of really important material away from senior staffers and the president. One is morally reprehensible, the other is grossly incompetent.

The way the Admin paints events these days, it's almost as if the government is run completely by junior staffers and lower-level military planners. Does the phrase 'the buck stops here' mean anything?

I haven't seen ANYONE blaming the soldiers in this case.... except for the administration, funnily enough. I think they show exactly how much they care for the average soldier; they praise and offer the world to them when it is politically viable, and hang them out to dry when it isn't.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And, according to some accounts, those prisoners in the portion of Abu Ghraib where the photos were taken included the worst of Iraq's worst including those guys that carried out those [Saddam-era] tortures.

That does not excuse or condone in any way the behavior of U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib.

Nor is it actually true.

Newsweek reviewed the case files of 26 abused prisoners and found that half were common criminals, not terrorists.

The hooded prisoner in the infamous "Statue of Liberty" picture was arrested for being a car thief, not an insurgent ...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:46 am
nimh wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
And, according to some accounts, those prisoners in the portion of Abu Ghraib where the photos were taken included the worst of Iraq's worst including those guys that carried out those [Saddam-era] tortures.

That does not excuse or condone in any way the behavior of U.S. guards at Abu Ghraib.

Nor is it actually true.

Newsweek reviewed the case files of 26 abused prisoners and found that half were common criminals, not terrorists.

The hooded prisoner in the infamous "Statue of Liberty" picture was arrested for being a car thief, not an insurgent ...

I think the bottom line is that the atmosphere at the prison was such that people felt that they could abuse anyone in any way and get away with it because they were given permission or orders might be the more correct word to "apply pressure" to the prisoners.

I don't agree with it to start with, even if it is to get information,-abuse and torture is wrong. However, the responsible thing would have been to carry out such things in a more controlled way (with specific intructions and who deserved such treatment and who is qualified to carry out such treatments...) so as to not create an environment such as what happened at the prison we are talking about. (forgot how to spell it) That is where the Bush administration and the top pentagon on down failed even if one accepted those kinds of techniques as acceptable methods to get information. Which, again, I don't. (felt it couldn't hurt to repeat it again)
0 Replies