Why now? It's a campaign year.

greenumbrella

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:50 am
Truth told, we're seeing, not hearing, examples of torture of wrongly arrested Iraqi civilians who lined the cement cells in the Abu Ghraib jail facility previously run by Saddam. Photos and video clips are accepted as evidence in courts of law around the globe -- there is no question the abuses took place. Just this morning came yet another nugget: unconfirmed reports on SkyTV said a 12 year old Iraqi girl was arrested and taken to the Abu Ghraib jail by American soldiers where she was repeatedly raped.

Call me old fashioned but it is all very simple, really. We either occupy the civilised world or we don't. And our actions tell the world which side of the issue we inhabit.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:57 am
Quote:
foxfrye,

These men refuse to cooperate in any way and are prepared to undergo extreme pain and death as necessary to earn their virgins in heaven.

It could be that they refuse to give in to their tormentors.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am fed up with you as well. From hence forth I join with seneta and will not respond to any and all topics you post. In the end, I suspect I will have to go elsewhere or nowhere, but so be it.

I don't believe I have ever been so disillusioned with human nature in my life. We are either honorable or not and it don't matter what anyone does. It reminds me of when my kids were little and one of them got in trouble, they would point out something that other did as though that justified what they did wrong.

Like Jesus said:

jn 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?
jn 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
jn 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:58 am
And those who are on record as opposing the current administration and anything it stands for will believe anything said that puts it in a worse light. It doesn't matter whether it's confirmed or not; they just keep driveling it out there as 'proof' of how wicked anything associated with the administration is. It doesn't matter that the process is in place to determine what the truth under it all is.

I refer to my original post on this thread. The Red Cross has been reporting human rights abuses related to the U.S. and the military for decade. Where was the outrage before now?

And I refer to the question. You're in charge of interrogating prisoners of war who have information that can prevent the deaths of U.S. and coalition troops, contractors, and Iraqi civilians. Fear of pain or death is ineffective. The only thing they fear is public humiliation. How do you do it?

That is the question that will be asked of those brought to trial in this matter. I wonder why those who want the current administration brought down over this issue can't or won't answer that question?
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:18 am
I see at least one Bush supporter has been reduced to plaintive whining and frustration over the worsening scandal engulfing her president. I am forced to recall the American ice skating queen (her name escapes me) who, after being struck by her rival, cried "why, why, why why?" The need by a few to infuse politics into clear-cut case of human rights violations is rubbish and simply unfathomable to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:21 am
fozfyre, I am currently listening to the Senate hearing and it is being reported (by the DOD) that what occured was a VIOLATION of rules and proceedures of the US Military, a VIOLATION of Internation Law and a VIOLATION of the Geneva Convention all of which renders your question meaningless.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:44 am
I'm listening too. And I'm hearing that Geneva Convention rules and therefore presumably international law is presumably applied differently in the case of terrorists than it is applied re POWs. I think my question remains pertinent however.

If you needed information to protect the lives of the U.S. military and contractors and Iraqi citizens, and threats of pain and death were ineffective, how would you get it?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:46 am
Fox, I know we normally agree on a lot of things, but I gotta tell ya we are parting ways on this just a tad. You ask how we should get the info if regular means of interragating does not work. Well, the answer is simple. We just don't get the info. Let me ask the same question to you in a different matter. Let's say Iraqi forces hold US prisoners of war, and they refuse to divulge info to needed for Iraq to shorten the war and lessen the loss of Iraqi life. Would you give them a pass on using the same means on our soldiers as we have been accused of using on theirs? I doubt it.

That said, I still think this problem cannot be blamed on the admin as a whole, but only on those who knew of the abuses and did nothing about them. Now that may prove to go as high as Rummy and Bush, or it may prove to go only as high as some officers on the site in Iraq. But that is for an investigation into the abuses to find out. And yes, I hope those responsible pay a heavy price for what they have done.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:57 am
You don't get information from innocent people who are arrested "by mistake."
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:00 am
greenumbrella wrote:
I see at least one Bush supporter has been reduced to plaintive whining and frustration over the worsening scandal engulfing her president. I am forced to recall the American ice skating queen (her name escapes me) who, after being struck by her rival, cried "why, why, why why?" The need by a few to infuse politics into clear-cut case of human rights violations is rubbish and simply unfathomable to me.

smug and difficult.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:14 am
Coastalrat, I agree entirely. If they won't talk, you don't get it.

Now I'm hearing the command testifying before the Senate Armed Forces Committee saying that no orders were given to the seven accused guards to do what they did at Abu Ghraib. The order may have been given to 'soften them up', but so far it has not been spelled out what that meant.

The rush to judgment to convict Secretary Rumsfield and/or President Bush on this matter is so premature that I can't see why it isn't obvious to everybody. Those wanting heads on platters would have been the very first to have said so had this happened when 'their guy' was in office.

Meanwhile we no doubt have terrorists dancing in the streets that they finally found America's achilles heel. All they have to do is generate sympathy for some Iraqi POWs and they can bring down a government. And it is already coming out that injuries are being faked and reports of abuses manufactured to hasten that process.

It should be clear to everybody that I consider the treatment of POWs as shown in those photos at Abu Ghraib to be unconscionable and indefensible. But to suggest that those who committed the acts themselves should not be charged is just over the top.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:34 am
unfortunately, it's not clear at all.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:

The rush to judgment to convict Secretary Rumsfield and/or President Bush on this matter is so premature that I can't see why it isn't obvious to everybody.

Not at all.

If Saddam Hussein is 'responsible' for atrocities occuring when he was in power in Iraq, how can Bush and Rumsfeld and the generals NOT be held responsible for atocities being committed under their control?

Do we hold Saddam responsible for acts of terror committed by his generals and their underlings?

Of course we do.

"Just following orders" for the underlings, incidentally, is no more of an excuse than when it was used at Nuremburg fifty years ago.

Please try to keep in mind that one of the 27 rationales used by the administration to start the war was that 'Saddam was a brutal thug who tortured his people'.

Why don't you attempt to explain how Bush can escape war crimes charges for what has happened under the US occupation of Iraq?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:45 am
PDiddie wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

The rush to judgment to convict Secretary Rumsfield and/or President Bush on this matter is so premature that I can't see why it isn't obvious to everybody.

Not at all.

If Saddam Hussein is 'responsible' for atrocities occuring when he was in power in Iraq, how can Bush and Rumsfeld and the generals NOT be held responsible for atocities being committed under their control?

Do we hold Saddam responsible for acts of terror committed by his generals and their underlings?

Of course we do.

"Just following orders" for the underlings, incidentally, is no more of an excuse than when it was used at Nuremburg fifty years ago.

Please try to keep in mind that one of the 27 rationales used by the administration to start the war was that 'Saddam was a brutal thug who tortured his people'.

Why don't you attempt to explain how Bush can escape war crimes charges for what has happened under the US occupation of Iraq?

The distinction here that you fail to make is that Saddam was accused of ordering the tortures/deaths of those thousands (maybe millions) of people. Last I checked, you or anyone else would have a difficult time trying to make the case that Bush ordered the torture of Iraqi prisoners. I know that might be a difficult concept for those who wish to vilify Bush, but it is an important aspect to this whole ugly mess.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:59 am
CoastalRat wrote:
The distinction here that you fail to make is that Saddam was accused of ordering the tortures/deaths of those thousands (maybe millions) of people. Last I checked, you or anyone else would have a difficult time trying to make the case that Bush ordered the torture of Iraqi prisoners.

This is a pathetically weak counter, Coastal.

Do you think you could prove your contention, that Saddam personally ordered the tortures?

I believe you will have a difficult (to impossible) time trying to do so.

And this contention of yours misses the point anyway, which is why this maelstrom is occurring in the first place.

People who wage war are always responsible -- always -- for the conduct of the soldiers they send into battle.

No excuses.

The distinction you fail to make is that these circumstances are precisely the same, and your inability to see that is because your eyes are scaled with the partisan rancor of the Republicans and their lackeys in the conservative media.

Get ahold of yourself, man.

Why would anyone dare try to offer the apologies for war criminals?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:16 am
Are you prepared to say that Saddam knew nothing of what was going on in his own country? That he had no idea that scores of his citizens were being tortured right under his very nose? If that is the case, then I have news for you. I will line up with anyone in trying to get him absolved of the accusations.

And I will also stand in line to have Bush held accountable if you or anyone can prove he ordered the military to torture prisoners.

If we follow your reasoning, then why did we not hold Johnson (or Kennedy or Nixon for that matter) responsible for all the terrible things done by our military (as admitted to by Mr. Kerry) during Vietnam? Because they were not responsible. They did not order soldiers to carry out these atrocities. Likewise, we cannot sit here and call Bush or anyone else a war criminal without some proof of at least complicity.

Convict the soldiers responsible. Convict any superior officer who ordered or had knowlege that the abuse was going on. Heck, convict Bush if he falls under that category. But I don't think he does.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:25 am
I think history has and will record a cloud of witnesses testifying to what Saddam Hussein ordered and condoned and in fact supervised. To suggest that anybody in the current U.S. administration either ordered or condoned the atrocities of Saddam's regime or is a war criminal suggests no interest at getting at the truth of the matter. Those suggesting that no doubt have not been listening to the Senate hearing this morning.

Meanwhile we have men and women in harms way in Iraq.

Quote:
War within a war
May 11, 2004

The American Civil War was not about conditions in Andersonville prison and the war in Iraq is not about conditions in Abu Ghraib prison. Terrible things happened in both military prisons but that was a small part of both these wars.

When our troops are putting their lives on the line for this country, thousands of miles away, surely it is not too much to ask of the rest of us back home to act like adults and put things in perspective -- even during an election year. That includes the media. Sometimes the fourth estate seems more like a fifth column.

The story of what happened at Abu Ghraib prison was told by the American military authorities months ago. This was not some cover-up that the media exposed. What the media did, irresponsibly, was send inflammatory photographs around the world.

In an age when some in the media are gross enough to release photographs of Princess Diana's dying moments, perhaps it is too much to expect forbearance about releasing photos that can only help our enemies around the world.

CNN had the forbearance to withhold information about far worse things that were done during the Saddam Hussein regime, for fear of having their Baghdad office closed down. But apparently that was more important than the war in Iraq.

Some say the camera doesn't lie but it can grossly mislead. If these same photos were released at some future time, after those responsible had been court-martialed and punished, that would present a very different picture and the military authorities would be freer to pinpoint blame.

But a court martial is a trial, and that places severe restrictions on what military authorities can say because they have to be responsible adults, even if journalists are not. If a colonel is conducting a court martial and the generals over him are publicly denouncing those on trial, will that be considered a fair trial whose verdicts will stand up on appeal?

Could the photos not wait until the whole story was in, so that they could be seen as what they are -- pictures of things that were not tolerated by America, even though worse things are tolerated and even celebrated in some Middle East countries that are having a field day condemning the United States and whipping up calls for revenge?

It is bad enough that we have to hear about the civilian trials of Scott Peterson, Kobe Bryant and Michael Jackson all around the clock, before all the evidence is in and verdicts reached. But at least this cheap sensationalism does not jeopardize our troops or our country.

The feeding frenzy over prison conditions in Iraq is just the latest in a long series of irresponsible media outbursts. The first sandstorm that forced allied troops to pause on the road to Baghdad brought out media cries of "quagmire." Missing items from an Iraqi museum while the war was raging provoked an international orgy of indignation against the United States -- and nothing like an apology when the items were later found, in the hands of Iraqis.

The current urban warfare in Iraq, bad as it is, does not compare with the disaster created by the last big German counterattack in the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. Yet nobody called that a quagmire or a sign that we were losing the war -- and in fact the Germans surrendered less than 6 months later.

It is hard to think of a war in which we did not confront terrible setbacks at some point, beginning with the American military defeats in the war for independence, the British setting fire to the White House during the War of 1812, numerous bloody disasters during the Civil War, and Pearl Harbor in World War II.

No one in World War II demanded that President Roosevelt present them with a timetable for the end of the war, much less for when our military occupation would end in Europe. Nor did anyone demand to know how much the war would cost in dollars and cents.

But the maturity to think beyond the moment has apparently become far more scarce today than it was in the days of the greatest generation. Will future historians call us the childish generation?

How much today's childishness will cost this country in the long run only the future will tell -- and it may tell in blood. -- Thomas Sowell
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:31 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Likewise, we cannot sit here and call Bush or anyone else a war criminal without some proof of at least complicity.

Did Hitler order the tortures and killings of the Jews?

Perhaps directly, perhaps obtusely; history is certain on its judgment.

Did LBJ know atrocities were being committed? Most certainly. The evidence lies in the archives of his Presidential library at the campus of the University of Texas, which I have visited, studied and researched a numbe of times.

Did Saddam know? Certainly. Did he order them?

I don't know. Can you prove he did?

And again, this is tangential.

There's evidence Bush was presented with knowledge of atrocities at Abu Ghraib as early as February of this year. Did he move to stop them?

What did Rumsfeld do?

We know what Lt. General Myers did; he called Dan Rather and asked him not to run the 60 Minutes II report, which broke the photographs and tales of torture.

The lessons of these circumstances are always clear.

Bush, Rumsfeld, et al will have to account for their actions or lack thereof in the face of the evidence that they knew what was going on and did nothing.

Stop embarrassing yourself by insisting they are innocent.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:48 am
All testimony to date indicates the abuses were relatively short term and had stopped months before the photos broke in the news.

Seems to me that benefit of the doubt should be given to the administration on this one.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:54 am
Whoa foxfrye!

Is anyone supposed to be surprised by your stance? There are no crimes so severe that you wouldn't seek to apologize for Bush and Cheney.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:02 am
PDiddie wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Likewise, we cannot sit here and call Bush or anyone else a war criminal without some proof of at least complicity.

Did Hitler order the tortures and killings of the Jews?

Perhaps directly, perhaps obtusely; history is certain on its judgment.

Did LBJ know atrocities were being committed? Most certainly. The evidence lies in the archives of his Presidential library at the campus of the University of Texas, which I have visited, studied and researched a numbe of times.

Did Saddam know? Certainly. Did he order them?

I don't know. Can you prove he did?

And again, this is tangential.

There's evidence Bush was presented with knowledge of atrocities at Abu Ghraib as early as February of this year. Did he move to stop them?

What did Rumsfeld do?

We know what Lt. General Myers did; he called Dan Rather and asked him not to run the 60 Minutes II report, which broke the photographs and tales of torture.

The lessons of these circumstances are always clear.

Bush, Rumsfeld, et al will have to account for their actions or lack thereof in the face of the evidence that they knew what was going on and did nothing.

Stop embarrassing yourself by insisting they are innocent.

If memory serves me correctly, not only did Saddam order the torture of some prisoners, he oversaw and participated as well. His 2 little hell spawned children participated regularly.

It sickens me that someone would even remotely consider comparing Bush to Hussein when speaking about the treatment of prisoners. There is absolutely NO comparison and I think you know that.
0 Replies