printing

WBYeats

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 11:06 am
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2344/2344-h/2344-h.htm

-The parcel was directed, then, by a man--the printing is distinctly masculine--of limited education and unacquainted with the town of Croydon. So far, so good! The box is a yellow, half-pound honeydew box, with nothing distinctive save two thumb marks at the left bottom corner. It is filled with rough salt of the quality used for preserving hides and other of the coarser commercial purposes.
==============
1. Do you think PRINTING here means write? I thought so at the beginning, but another story http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2345/2345-h/2345-h.htm gives something intriguing:

-"Prints it?"

"Yes, sir; prints it in pencil. Just the word, nothing more. Here's the one I brought to show you--soap. Here's another--match. This is one he left the first morning--daily gazette. I leave that paper with his breakfast every morning."

"Dear me, Watson," said Homes, staring with great curiosity at the slips of foolscap which the landlady had handed to him, "this is certainly a little unusual. Seclusion I can understand; but why print? Printing is a clumsy process. Why not write? What would it suggest, Watson?"

which shows print and write are different things, but dictionaries tell me nothing in this direction.

2. For the red sentence, I can't even figure out what OTHER refers to. What are those purposes inscrutably referred to as COARSE?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 476 • Replies: 2
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 01:08 pm
@WBYeats,
To 'print' with a pen or pencil means to make each letter separately (like the letters in printed books). Young children do this before they have learned to do 'joined up' writing, and so do adults who cannot write well. Sometimes people are asked to do this when they complete forms, because the result is usually more legible.

'Other of the coarser commercial purposes' means 'other commercial processes which are, like tanning, of a dirty, rough and unappealing nature'.

WBYeats

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 01:27 am
@contrex,
Thank you~

um...do you mean WRITE necessarily mean scribbling?
0 Replies