History of Intellectual Property in English Countries

Caldus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:00 pm
Could someone elaborate on this subject? I do not know too much in this field and I need to be able to know the history pretty well for my exam. This is what I know (or may be wrong) so far:

English copyright law can be traced back to the days when the printing press was invented. People realized that others could easily steal the content. English patent law can be traced back to the 1500's when the King gave manufacturers and traders "Letters Patent" which were open letters marked with the King's seal. The ideas from manufacturers and traders were protected for 20 years. The original term for a copyright law in the US was 14 years with a renewable term for 14 years. Today, it is 70 years after the author's death. The patent system today in English-speaking countries is similar except that the US Patent Office now performs a formal review of the patents and determine whether they are "feasible." Trademarks today can be in the public domain if they are not "protected" by the author. Otherwise, trademarks last forever.

I need some more information. I also need to make sure that my interpretations here are accurate. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 900 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:06 pm
You might be interested in:
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/std/resources/copyright/history.htm

and/or:

http://arl.cni.org/info/frn/copy/timeline.html
0 Replies

Caldus

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:29 pm
I read both of those already. I just need someone to make sure that what I wrote above is accurate. I don't want to lose points because of inaccurate factual information. Thanks.
0 Replies