Your First Car

Rae

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:07 pm
Since dlk and I have been joking around about pitting her rocket-ship Tiburon against my wee-little Saturn, it's brought back memories of my first car.

A '76 Pontiac Gran LeMans. Cream colored, all white leather interior and heaps of power under the hood. Got my one and only ticket in that car ~ for pulling out of the left turn lane with oncoming traffic bearing down.....the first of those cars being an unmarked cop. I got off with a warning..... :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,636 • Replies: 66
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:13 pm
76 Camaro...blue with white interior, air shocks, big tires, nice rims, finagled stereo that makes me laugh now...fit I think 12 people in it once..and a dog...and all their skates...and took it through Satans Kingdom..with guys in a Jeep following close behind..thinking I was a woman and couldnt manage it....ha! showed them!
GRAND memories actually.
And, my actual first car was a 69 Chrysler Imperial 4- door...my dad had a thing about making sure I was in a tank...however, it was stolen before I got to drive it more than to the mechanics..so, I dont think it counts.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:19 pm
'48 Packard convertable-yellow paid $75 in 1961
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:21 pm
Wow...the first car I remember is a Packard...and I think my parent probably paid just as much...late 60's..was black though.
All I remember is the dash was HUGE...so were the seats..but, my legs were short then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:22 pm
I loved my first car. Since there was no one to let me practice to get my license, I bought a 48 Chevvy for $100. It was a two door, with a visor over the windshield. All original. It had been kept on a farm and rarely brought into town. Everything on it worked like new, except the wiper control. I spent considerable time getting that to work. I could cruise it floorboarded at 70 mph on the freeway. Only reason I got rid of it, when I moved to San Francisco it had too hard a time making the steeper hills. Also there were no parking places.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:26 pm
When I was a baby, my parents drove a black VW Bug. I loved that car. The next one I remember is a bright red Maverick.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:38 pm
My all time favorite car: My step-father had a 1928 DODGE VICTORY 6. It was green with black fenders. Big high running boards. The back doors opened opposite to the way they do now. I used to love to be sitting in the grass when it rolled into the yard. From that vantage point I could marvel at what a wonderful machine it was as the wood spoked wheels slowed and appeared to be turning backwards until it stopped. We had a large family that easily fit in there. It was great for the drive in movies. My brother and I would sit on the fenders.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:40 pm
Wow! Great memories folks! Keep'em comin!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 09:42 pm
My parents had an MG ... red convertible that I simply adored after that big old Packard...they kept that for along while till I actually needed a real seat of my own...then it was an Opal...station wagon though.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 01:31 am
Mine was a 1978 T-Bird white with maroon interior. The car was beautiful and only 2 years old. My dad gave it to me when I got my license. I had some great times in that car. I'm shocked that to this day I've never had a speeding ticket, lol. My favorite car though was my 1986 camaro also white with maroon intrerior. That was was so cool.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:10 am
79 camaro rs. t-top and tricked out. my friends that had to sit in the back came out of the car with hearing problems. jenson tri-axial speakers (top of the line at that time) with power booster and equalizer.

rae, before i forget. fsu! fsu! fsu! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 07:03 am
<thanks pueo. really. honest. you're a pal.>
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 09:34 am
It was a canary yellow 1976 Chevy - ack, I can't recall the model, but it was similar to a Ford Pinto in size though fortunately not in gas tank placement.

It had been my folks' car; they gave it to me when I went to Law School, as it was a commuter school.

It finally died a noble death in a parking lot in 1987, with over 100k miles on it and after being rear-ended 2 or 3 times (not in the same day).

PS My brain's working again, or at least it is in this area. It was a Vega.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 02:42 pm
The very first car I owned myself was that Red Maverick! It was a kewl car, at least I thought so, and I got quite a few tickets in it.

My next favorite car was a little convertible triumph, adorable! Loved it!
Champagne color, black top!
0 Replies

dlk33

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:28 pm
Wow, am I slow finding this question which of course interests me.
Alright Rae, believe it or not my first car was also a Pontiac Lemans. I think it was a '67, and it was blue. I didn't have it very long because my mother made me sell it, because she decided she couldn't afford the insurance payments. I wish I had known that before she let me get the car.
I actually consider my first "real" car to be a Dodge Polara. I don't remember what year it was, but it was beige, a two door, and huge and ugly! I got rid of that car for a short while and owned a '67 Cougar XR7 until I blew up the engine, then I ended up with that Dodge again, since it hadn't been sold yet.
Hey Rae, I bet my Lemans could have beat your Lemans! Razz
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:56 pm
http://people.smu.edu/acambre/nova/novahidgon65/novahigdon65.jpg

My first car, 1962 Chevy Nova II
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:04 pm
It was a 1956 Buick Special. In fact, when I found this pic on the net, I was so excited. The colors are exactly the same as mine.
Notice the whitewalls.

The car originally belonged to my parents. They gave it to me in about 1960-61. I had no idea how to take care of a car, and neither did my first husband. That car was in the shop more times............

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDjAswV7RuCE2q4o0jCcQ52!VpDl6Se6F9dJ5CtIdUbM5PYNcWlD3nu74QE7WOvXyCsn9x54KBglujNUgNz8hl2beXUggOiPXp5WDmPDqE/buick.jpg?dc=4675403793406044150
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:06 pm
Me too when I found my exact match. Brings back lots of good memories doesn't it Phoenix. Love the white walls did you keep them snowy white. My mother had a powder blue Buick Speical I will never forget the sound when she changed gears.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 01:15 am
My first car was a '53 Mercury Station Wagon. My Dad gave it to me the year before I could legally drive. The drive train and running gear were in boxes and crates, well worn and ready to be rebuilt. The deal was I could drive it once I put it together. Dad, a wise man in some ways, never considered the social opportunities a station wagon opened to a teenager. I took my driver's test in that car, and later met many tests of a different nature in the back that car. It was quite a learning experience.

timber
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 01:47 am
timber, you bad, bad, boy! Laughing
0 Replies