Help Grammar!!! Gerund complex sentence

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 07:10 am
Hello,

I have a grammatical question:

in the sentence "Speaking for the 1st time instead of the US president, before what is Mother's Day in the US on Sunday, she said the couple were" outraged and heartbroken" over the abduction of more than 300 girls from a School in Chibok on 14 April", if you had to analyse it grammatically, how would you go about it?

I've started by saying it's 2 main popositions "speaking for the 1st time instead of the US president" and "she said...on 14 April", that the first one is a gerund sentence where speaking is of the V-ing form and allows the relation between that and the other proposition to work as a nominal group subject (sorry if that's not the proper term, English is not my first language)... and that the sentence is a complex one in gerund form. But that's it, and I'm not quite sure what else I should say or how to go about the analysis...

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

shannen
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 321 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 11:08 am
@shannen713,
After a lifetime in the field of journ here in the US, Shan, I'm impressed by not only the depth of scholarship but the determination of so many ESL. Despite my experience I know hardly any of those technical terms. However, for anyone interested in pursuing exactitude, it is incidentally Michelle speaking for her spouse as reported by The Guardian

https://www.google.ca/#q=Speaking+for+the+1st+time+instead+of+the+US+president

…., while I'm not quite sure either, what else I should say or how to go about the analysis...
McTag

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:49 pm
@dalehileman,
Bookmark. I don't feel able to analyse this rambling sentence usefully, but I'm pretty sure the reference to gerund is wrong.
And " it's" shouldn't have that apostrophe.
0 Replies