Why do feminists believe that accused rapists should not be afforded due process?

Dtrmnst

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 11:19 pm
How can anyone be a feminist when women/girls are relatively non existent in stem fields. In other words, women are good at talking, but they dont build anything, which is what men do for them. Ill have an ounce of respect for feminists when the amount of women in engineering gets to 5 percent.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 11:26 pm
@Dtrmnst,
You poor soul, I hate to see what happens when you finally get updated stats.
Dtrmnst

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 02:37 am
@glitterbag,
O really? Care to provide those stats mrs talkischeap?
Stroll through any physics or math textbook and you will find 1 women mentioned for every 500 men mentioned.
Of course you wouldnt know that because you majored in womens studies, a major that has only one purpose; to boost peoples egos.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:14 am
@Dtrmnst,
Feminists are not opposed to due process. You are just too stupid to think on your own, Mr. Doggy doo for brains.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:23 am
@Dtrmnst,
No, I didn't major in women's studies, dim bulb, they didn't exist when I was in school. Scroll thru math books looking for men or women??? Have you even taken advanced math, and I mean something other than long division??? You are not worth my time, if the women in your family were so incredibly stupid, illiterate and devoid of intelligence, why would I waste my time on you, Mr. Dipshit. Go complain to your men's rights group about how bitchy women are. That's where you belong, with your whining bitch boy buddies. Boo Hoo, ladies are so mean. Grow a pair, get an education, and for Christs sake, contribute like you think real men contribute. Good luck
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:27 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Feminists are not opposed to due process. You are just too stupid to think on your own, Mr. Doggy doo for brains.
Really, so who is it then who is calling for those who claim to be victims to not be subjected to cross examination in a courtroom? The result would certainly not be due process as imagined by those who wrote the Constitution.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, I don't know what you're smoking, but I think you should stop. Not sure you have the brain cells to spare.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:34 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Yeah, I don't know what your smoking, but I think you should stop. Not sure you have the brain cells to spare.

People have the internet, they can check for themselves. You have failed to appreciate that this is no longer 1960.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 01:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, that's true. And you have failed to appreciate that women can check the internet as well, since it's 2014. Shouldn't you be asleep you can get the grits ready for tomorrow's breakfast crowd.
0 Replies

MoralityAboveAll

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 08:33 pm
@Question2,
I think this thread has started to go a bit off-topic (I am NOT a mod and have NO special authority here).

Here's my two cents:

Obviously NOT all feminists are against due process for people accused of rape; but some are. I won't speculate as to how many.

It is completely unacceptable for people accused of rape (or any other crime) to be denied due process.

However, rape is a very sensitive spot — particularly for women. Rapists do a lot of harm to their victims. There are also untold consequences of an unintended pregnancy resulting from rape, and all the pain that reminder of what happened gives the victim; as well as untold familial fallout.

This makes rape a serious crime; and naturally it is feared.

I believe it is because of this pain, and the potential for it to repeat, that people are so hard on accused rapists. Injustice creates injustice.

A possible solution to this problem would be to give all accused rapists polygraphs, and sodium-pentothal and ask them if they did it, where they were at the time, and other unrelated baseline questions.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 08:43 pm
I'm so glad I missed this thread.

Feminism is made of many women, of whom most are for due process.

What's the word for Making Conjecture into Truth? Whatever it is, thus the title.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 08:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am constantly reading that "rape kits" often sit unexamined for years, in many cities.

I've read that, too. Wtf. Cops are treating rape as if it were of low priority? Handing out parking tickets is more important, I suppose? If they don't have enough forensic experts to do (what should be regarded as) the high-priority work, then someone is guilty of poor management.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 09:00 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Cops are treating rape as if it were of low priority

Rape kits are not processed because of many reasons, all having to do with concluding that the 750-1000 spent to do so would be wasted money. THe number one reason is that the alleged victim has already said that they dont want to support the "justice" systems involvement in the matter. #2 is that the cops already think they know who had sex with the alleged victim, so the rape kit results would had nothing to the case.

GOvernment has a obligation to spend our money wisely. Testing all rape kits because the feminists want to built the biggest DNA database that they can is not a good reason for spending this much money.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 09:10 pm
@MoralityAboveAll,
Quote:
It is completely unacceptable for people accused of rape (or any other crime) to be denied due process.

A possible solution to this problem would be to give all accused rapists polygraphs, and sodium-pentothal and ask them if they did it, where they were at the time, and other unrelated baseline questions.

I hope the humor in this was intentional.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 10:02 pm
@Question2,
Who says "feminists" are against due process?

I am a feminist and I have worked with rape. I believe in due process as does everyone else am aware of in the field and all the feminists I know.

My anecdotal evidence trumps yours.

Next dumb question which assumes a moot conclusion in the way it is framed?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:04 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I am a feminist and I have worked with rape. I believe in due process as does everyone else am aware of in the field and all the feminists I know.

You are glossing over the real issues here Dlowan.

There are prominent cases where male students accused of rape have been expelled from school (which is a pretty harsh punishment) without the ability to defend themselves.

There is a debate about whether this is appropriate or not. There are many feminist voices saying that alleged victims should be believed without serious questions and that they should not have to face the person they are accusing.

In my opinion, in many cases the pendulum has swung too far. Students accused of rape are having their rights to due process trampled.

To say that "all the feminists you know" believe in due process is a little hollow.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:38 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Who says "feminists" are against due process?

My anecdotal evidence trumps yours.

Next dumb question which assumes a moot conclusion in the way it is framed?

100% in agreement on all points
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 09:50 am
@ehBeth,
A question for Beth and Dlowan. You are both claiming that feminists are in favor of due process... I would like to see evidence that this is true. Are there any feminists who address this issue (i.e. due process for students accused of rape).

It seems to me that what happens is that anyone who raises these issues is either ignored, or attacked by feminists.

These are real issues (and very relevant to these threads).

I would love to see someone say "I am a feminist. These male students who are getting expelled from colleges after being accused of rape do have a point and do deserve due process".

I am not asking people to stop addressing the problem of rape on campus. All I am asking is for feminists who can take a balanced view of a complex issue.

I don't see many feminists doing this. Do you have some examples?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:03 am
@maxdancona,
Here you go Max

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/02/feminists-criticizing-campus-sex-assault-rules.html

I commended at the time about my shock at Amanda Hess at Slate being uncomfortable with the lack of due process.

However, this abuse of men has been driven by the femininsts and their partners the federal government, and we need to be very clear about that. I think it will be rolled back but not because of the minority opion coming from the feminist camp, it will be rolled by the courts, and expensive settlements to abused men.

For the record I have a huge problem with modern feminism, but I know that there are some good people who call themselves feminists.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2015 08:46 pm
@maxdancona,
The important word is 'accused', Robert Jewel's life was ruined because of hasty rush to judgement after the bombing at the Summer Olympics. It wasn't him, ultimately he was cleared. His accusers were all members of law enforcement.
My feeling is he was denied due process. Can you tell me how many law enforcement agents clamored and spoke up in defense of Jewel?

It's a big mistake to believe that all women who identify as feminists are of one mind set. Just like every other group of humanity, some of these women are zealots, some aren't very bright, some have an ax to grind, these women do not represent all other women. They just get attention because they spout outrageous nonsense. Since there is no Queen of the women dictating what we can think and say, the rest of women tend to be independent and not married to a ridiculous idea like 'ignoring due process'.

I don't have a list of all women and their position on every social or legal issue, so I can't give you an example that will satisfy you. But if you check the forum, I'll venture that I, ehBeth, Osso certainly believe in due process.

If you want the opinions of more prominent women, such as Senators or Congress, you will have to ask them. I'm not included in any organized working group that hands out unconstitutional talking points that all women must obey and believe. That's the best I can do.