Is it possible that I'm pregnant?

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 03:12 pm
This is controversial for me to think that I am because my husband had a vasectomy back in November. But at the same time I have always been quite attuned to my body and any sudden changes it goes through. First of all he never went back to his urologist to get tested for remaining sperm in his semen, so if the vasectomy didn't take, we wouldn't know. And my last period, if you can even call it that, came a few days sooner than expected and was definitely lighter and shorter than an average menstrual cycle for me. (Implantation bleeding?) And I've been having some of the key early pregnancy symptoms that started about a week after my "period." Nausea almost daily, very tired with little energy, certain smells make me nauseous, my breasts are swollen and quite tender to the touch, mood swings, and I've been having lower back pain. I know its still too early to take a home pregnancy test, but I was just wondering if maybe there's someone who experienced the same thing (a vasectomy that didn't take) and happened to be pregnant. I know the chances are rare, but I can't explain what else would be going on with my body, and I've been pregnant twice before so I know what pregnancy symptoms feel like. Any advice or ideas what else could be causing a hiccup in my menstrual cycle and giving me these symptoms would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 15
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 03:41 pm
@BeckyH1987,
BeckyH1987 wrote:
Any advice

1. Get a pregnancy test from a pharmacy. 2. See your doctor.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 08:36 pm
@BeckyH1987,
It could be possible. Vasectomies aren't absolutely effective, especially several months following the procedure. Your husband should get checked by his urologist, but even if there is no further mishaps, you could have conceived with your husband.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 08:43 pm
@BeckyH1987,
1. go to the doctor

2. tell your husband to get his *** to the doctor for a post-surgical follow-up

3. no glove, no love until everybody's results are in
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 10:31 pm
@BeckyH1987,
Becky, did you find out yet?
BeckyH1987

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Not yet, I'm waiting till the day after my next period is due to test, which will be next Sunday the 25th. I will post an update once I find out though.
0 Replies

BeckyH1987

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 02:58 pm
@BeckyH1987,
You know I've been researching online about failed vasectomies and women who ended up pregnant because of it, and I have to say that I'm shocked by how common this actually is. Still no signs of AF but still five days till its actually due. Already bought the pregnancy test, First Response since it has such a high success rate of accuracy, and I also bought a New Choice/Dollar Tree brand to compare results. If I am pregnant though, we are definitely looking into a more effective form of b/c. I love my kids, but I wasn't planning on anymore, hence the vasectomy. As nice as it would be to have another, maybe even the son I've always wanted, I just don't think we can afford it financially.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:03 pm
When I got snipped the doc was very clear to not assume I was clear till I came back for the test. I bet your hubby was told the same.
0 Replies

BeckyH1987

Reply Tue 20 May, 2014 10:53 am
@BeckyH1987,
Okay, so here's another possible sign that I'm pregnant that I experienced with my first pregnancy. I had light cramping for like 10 mins on Sunday, but no period. Nothing yesterday that I noticed, but experiencing the same thing again today. Either my period is gonna be a few days early, or I'm pregnant.
0 Replies

BeckyH1987

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 08:29 pm
@BeckyH1987,
So I'm updating like I said I would once I found out, and I'm not pregnant, my AF arrived today. Not sure what was going on with me, but things seem to be back in order now. Anyway, I'd just like to thank everyone for reading my post and responding to it, and yes my husband is going back to his doctor to get checked. Hopefully everything clears there as well.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 09:02 pm
@BeckyH1987,
Well congrats, even though all babies will become people you can't live without, I'm happy your family planning worked as expected. Many years ago, a friend of mine became pregnant after her husbands vasectomy was performed. It happens, check with you GYN, sometimes our bodies play havoc with our innards, it's not fair, but it happens. Im older than dirt, but my ovaries can still make my life a living hell.
chai2

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 10:17 pm
@BeckyH1987,
BeckyH1987 wrote:

So I'm updating like I said I would once I found out, and I'm not pregnant, my AF arrived today. Not sure what was going on with me, but things seem to be back in order now. Anyway, I'd just like to thank everyone for reading my post and responding to it, and yes my husband is going back to his doctor to get checked. Hopefully everything clears there as well.

I'm really glad you're not pregnant.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 21 May, 2014 10:18 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

even though all babies will become people you can't live without

wowsers, that's not true.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 02:30 am
@chai2,
Well, chai, you have a point. There are many miserable €%#€¥£%$&@ assholes walking around who were once some bodies' baby. At least the OP doesn't have to worry about that now. There are a few who post here who I assume had a mother, it's unsettling to think one of those creeps could be related to me. I think you're right, sometimes it's a roll of the dice.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:40 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Well, chai, you have a point. There are many miserable €%#€¥£%$&@ assholes walking around who were once some bodies' baby.

There's also many very happy people walking around who were once somebodies baby, but are not someone for whom the parents couldn't live without.

Not trying to start an argument glitter, but a lot of people from unhappy beginnings go ahead and have great lives

A lot of miserable SOB's may have had very loving parents.

In the case of the former, people can realize that they can get off the bus at any stop they want, and change direction.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 09:06 am
@chai2,
I suppose my wording was clumsy, obviously you continue to live if one of your children were to die. I suppose my remark was more about me, if I were to lose one of my children, granddaughter, nephews or niece it would take a chunk out of my being. I've lost children thru miscarriage, and I was actually surprised how hollow I felt inside. Human beings manage to move forward after a loss, some suffer incredible gut wrenching loss if a child is murdered....but you have to keep going. My older cousin Jim's adult son was stabbed to death in his backyard, Jim unplugged his phone for 3 months because he just couldn't talk about it.

I'm just happy that the OP's situation worked out the way she hoped it would.
0 Replies