so + excellent

Hela

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 01:51 pm
Dear teachers,

I know that "excellent" is an ungradable adjective but I don't know if the following sentences are correct.

a) Your performance was so excellent that I've set you as my role model.
b) This worker is so excellent that he deserves to get promoted.

Thank you for your help.
Hela

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 440 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 02:02 pm
@Hela,
Yes. There are different levels of excellence. Had you said "so perfect" there would be a logical problem, as something is either perfect or not.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 03:47 pm
@Hela,

Yes, the sentences are correct.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 May, 2014 05:06 pm
@Hela,
They are correct, because it's based on a personal opinion.
McTag

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 01:07 am
@cicerone imposter,

Okay, but I was only commenting on the grammar.
I was commenting solely on the grammar.
Excellent is an adjective like any other.
No mystery.
okbye.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 03:03 am
The main or traditional meaning of 'excellent' is the best, either among a group or of a kind, or overall. It comes at the end of a range. Adjectives that are at the ends of ranges are not gradable, whereas the ones in between are.

Consider:

Freezing - cold - cool - warm - hot - boiling
Excellent, good, average, poor, bad, terrible

The adjectives in between the ends of the ranges can be modified with adverbs of degree such as 'very', but the ones at the ends cannot. Thus a careful native speaker would be uncomfortable about using 'very excellent'. There is a secondary meaning of 'excellent', which is 'very good', and again, the 'very' would be redundant.
Hela

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 03:10 am
Thank you all very much for your answers.
0 Replies

Hela

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 03:15 am
@contrex,
Hello contrex,

Thank you for your explanation. But what about "so excellent that..." ? It seems that the construction is possible and grammatical, isn't it? It would be nice if you could tell me why.

All the best
contrex

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 03:27 am
@Hela,
Hela wrote:

Hello contrex,

Thank you for your explanation. But what about "so excellent that..." ? It seems that the construction is possible and grammatical, isn't it? It would be nice if you could tell me why.

All the best

You could say 'his work was so excellent that he was immediately promoted' but because the word has two meanings, 'best' and 'very good', a tension is created. The best I can do is to say that 'grammar' is not everything, that successful use of language is more than treating words like Lego blocks. If you mean 'so excellent that' to mean 'so widely considered to be the best' then personally I feel it would be better to say it in that way, because a native speaker would possibly perceive the awkwardness of grading a superlative. If you mean 'so very good' then say that.

Hela

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 04:06 am
@contrex,
Thank you very much, Contrex. That helped.

Best regards
0 Replies