Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
The phrase, "I do not know if gods exist or not" is a complex modal claim that can be modeled through epistemic logic. It is not a tautology. The proposition, "Gods exist or not" is a tautology.

But the real problem is not one of tautology, it is one of concept formation. What are the proper referents of gods? are they found in percepts or higher order concepts? Are they mere fantasy? If the latter, then we should be igtheists, which, if I am not mistaken, no one has considered as a plausible position. Atheism and theism? Pfft. Both take too much for granted. Think about the concepts employed, and then come back.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:16 am
@ossobuco,
I'm taking some time off posting.

My italian is pretty horrible too. I learnt it watching Johnny Stecchino 293 times...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:19 am
@farmerman,
Ah! Litterbag is good; I might steal that. Found "Aunt Baggy" but it's not half as good.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 05:33 am
The tag "psuedo intellect" is gone! How is that possible?

I was taking this one as a badge of honor!... will re-tag at once.

JLNobody

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 08:16 am
@Olivier5,
What do you mean by "intellectual"?
Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:14 am
@JLNobody,
Don't know. It may have to do with internet psuedos...
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:18 am
@Olivier5,
don't step on my blue psuedo shoes
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 09:27 am
@ehBeth,
official thread earworm

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 11:00 am
@ehBeth,
Sorry but I find your shoes a bit psuedo-rific.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 11:17 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

The phrase, "I do not know if gods exist or not" is a complex modal claim that can be modeled through epistemic logic. It is not a tautology. The proposition, "Gods exist or not" is a tautology.

Thank you, Ding, but understand that I have NEVER said that "I do not know if gods exist or not" is a tautology.

I have said "Whatever IS...IS"...is a tautology.

Quote:
But the real problem is not one of tautology, it is one of concept formation. What are the proper referents of gods? are they found in percepts or higher order concepts? Are they mere fantasy? If the latter, then we should be igtheists, which, if I am not mistaken, no one has considered as a plausible position. Atheism and theism? Pfft. Both take too much for granted. Think about the concepts employed, and then come back.

Hope this helps. Very Happy
[/quote]

The question of the existence of gods is not one that truly is what I am dealing with. It is a tangent to what I am actually discussing...almost every time.

I am dealing with the question of "what is going on here...if anything?"

I am dealing with the question of "What is the true nature of the REALITY of existence (if there is existence; is truth; is nature; and is REALITY.).

I do not know the answer to that question.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 11:23 am
@Olivier5,
what's in a name or a word?

0 Replies