wmwcjr

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 05:50 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
http://cur.cursors-4u.net/smilies/images1/smi12-2.gif

Long time, no post.

Meanwhile, back to the thread, . . .

http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/i_know_you_are_pee_wee_herman.gif

Mr. Green
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 05:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Let me say it again: You are a toy for me...and I enjoy playing with it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AInogGP_ZHM/T_pmGaNZvOI/AAAAAAAABcU/fVIMyFz5PDM/s1600/men+and+boys.png

I just love these fight threads! Twisted Evil I look forward to this topic every day! Cool Razz

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/word/more-drama-plz-smiley-emoticon.png
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:08 pm
@wmwcjr,
Good to know it has value to some folks outside of those doing the to and fro.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:20 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I have long liked Glitter and I am a major fan of Olivier. He is better than sliced bread, historically good. Don't make me pick one, but I frown re people who want to shut down Olivier, I might have to immolate myself on bacon.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:27 pm
Most of you horrified by olivier have not followed the many many posts that precipitated his post.

Nor have you read for a dozen years of Frank's posts (oh, hi, Frank) or just one or two years.

Mostly they are enjoying the exchange, and taunts are part of it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's definitely working for me - I greatly appreciate Olivier's wit and humour and patience.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you, someone who agrees with me, I've been feeling all all alone.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I try to avoid threads posting in threads where FA and GB post since I'm not as patient as Olivier and am too often tempted to react. I've been trying to tamp down that reactiveness - doesn't do anyone any good.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:51 pm
@ehBeth,
I get you, says Ms. Reactiva.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 06:58 pm
Ladies, I feel humbled, much obliged, and blessed by your kind words. Embarrassed
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 07:15 pm
@Olivier5,
Smiles, sometimes agreement happens.

You know I like you being here.
Keep on keeping on.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 09:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Ladies, I feel humbled, much obliged, and blessed by your kind words. Embarrassed

Well, I have a great deal of respect for the women who sing your praises. It's too bad this sorry excuse for a topic is the only thing I have ever read that you started. If Osso says you're interesting, I have to respect that, I just wish I had read something where you were able to shine. I can only assume that this was a misadventure on your part. I did go back to the beginning to see what I must have missed. At least 7 different members asked for clarification on your observation, but I didn't see anyone have their question answered in a civil manner. Maybe I don't have an ear for what makes you charming, but I didn't post until page 7 and that was only to lament the path this thing was taking.

I will say that the first response I got from you was reasonable, you even admitted you felt a pang of guilt and was only doing this because you were bored. OK, that's fair, but very quickly it switched to GB is siding with Frank, you refashioned my comments as if insulted you, I'm a crack poodle, I'm hysterical and a few other unflattering attributes. I begged off but you couldn't let it go. You goaded relentlessly, mischaracterized my intent in your quest to engage Frank.

As for Ollies supporters, I think if these remarks were made to other posters, you might fail to see the charm factor he possesses. I regret never getting to see what you see in Ollie, apparently he's gifted. But after re-reading all of this, I'm still amazed at how this progressed. Those of you who are happy Frank's getting blasted might want to reread it as well. I know Frank can be an infuriating pain in the ass, Frank knows that as well, but this is one rope-a-dope he didn't start.

Words cannot adequately express the disappointment and sadness I feel when I see all of the people I have enjoyed and admired on A2K , going after others in such an unseemly fashion. I don't know, and I shouldn't care why people are happy that such ugly things are being said, I'm just very, very disappointed.

I can't say strongly enough how much I regret expressing my opinion re. this insult thread. I also hope that my unexpressed opinion of what has happened proves to be wrong. This is probably the most disappointed I have ever been with some members of A2k . I'm also relieved I haven't read what others have read that apparently allows members to wholeheartedly endorse the meanspirited ugly things I have seen on this thread.

That's about that, if the rest of you think it's good to gang up on Frank for whatever he did in the past, Mazel Tov, enjoy. I have said everything I care to say.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:27 pm
You don't get it because you only show up once in a while, so you don't get the history.

Frank and Olivier (not Oliver) understand each other, in their ways, and have understood the thread (or soI take it).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 02:30 am
Life is good. In fact...life is great. I enjoy damn near every minute of it right now...and I hope everyone else does also.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/715vwvP5ZEL._SL500_AA300_.png
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 09:53 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Well, I have a great deal of respect for the women who sing your praises.

So do I, and they also sing your praise…

Quote:
I did go back to the beginning to see what I must have missed. At least 7 different members asked for clarification on your observation, but I didn't see anyone have their question answered in a civil manner.

That is incorrect. I could not understand what bobsal was saying, but I provided all the clarifications I could, in a civil manner to Joe from Chicago, who had cogent respectful questions that I tried to answer to the best of my ability.

BTW, Joe and neologist were entirely right: my original statement was too narrow and poorly phrased. It wrongly excluded logic from the sources of knowledge, something I corrected later on in the thread, and the word “observe” is apparently not used colloquially in English to describe introspection. I could rephrase my original statement as:

Since I define knowledge as based on a combination of logic and facts (with each elements being necessary but not sufficient by itself), and since gods are by definition neither bound by facts (they can hide in the netherworld) nor reason (they can allegedly follow very odd logic or no logic at all), it follows that gods cannot really be known. So the phrase that Frank wrote on A2K about 10 million times – I don’t know if gods exist or not -- is a truism, a tautology: it is true by virtue of how the terms of the sentence are defined. And tautologies, while true, don’t need to be repeated 10 million times.

That sums up my beef with Frank. The same argument can be made with the half-dozen other platitudes he constantly offers as great wisdom on philosophy threads. The reason I find his mindless repetitions of platitudes objectionable, is not only that it clutters threads and kills them in the egg, but also that it’s meant as an insult: it is used to imply that other posters are too stupid to understand a platitude; they just don’t get it, you see? So they need to hear it again and again…

Quote:
I will say that the first response I got from you was reasonable, you even admitted you felt a pang of guilt and was only doing this because you were bored. OK, that's fair, but very quickly it switched to GB is siding with Frank, you refashioned my comments as if insulted you, I'm a crack poodle, I'm hysterical and a few other unflattering attributes.

Your beef with the thread in principle was a good point. The thread title is a harmless prank, but it was indeed in poor taste and I regret it. I shouldn’t have mentioned Frank’s name in it. If you had kept your criticism at that, you would have won the exchange. Your early punches were solid. But you went into allegations and then later insults which made you look increasingly foolish and out of control.

You forgot rule number 1 in battle threads: never lose your cool. It remains a game, so never take yourself too seriously or you gona look like an out-of-control freak who can’t take pressure, has a problem with free speech, needs to take his medication, to get over himself, etc. Whatever the stakes and the issue at hand, a cool dude will always win over a drama queen. It’s a game that requires self-control, just like real-life debates do.

I was pretty pissed-off at you too at some point and drafted a few shrill messages myself, then scraped them. The worse internet pirate has got to go by some rule, and I can’t trash a woman... Too vulgar, even for me, so I pulled my punches. That’s what saved me this time around.

Quote:
I begged off but you couldn't let it go.

Did you, really? I thought you were kidding. The message you qualified as an “olive branch” was full of scorn. After that and the 2 posts before it -- and all the ones before where you “called BS on me” and “asked for a show of hands” -- how could I possibly conclude that you genuinely wanted to mend fences???
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 12:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Well, I have a great deal of respect for the women who sing your praises.

So do I, and they also sing your praise…

Quote:
I did go back to the beginning to see what I must have missed. At least 7 different members asked for clarification on your observation, but I didn't see anyone have their question answered in a civil manner.

That is incorrect. I could not understand what bobsal was saying, but I provided all the clarifications I could, in a civil manner to Joe from Chicago, who had cogent respectful questions that I tried to answer to the best of my ability.

BTW, Joe and neologist were entirely right: my original statement was too narrow and poorly phrased. It wrongly excluded logic from the sources of knowledge, something I corrected later on in the thread, and the word “observe” is apparently not used colloquially in English to describe introspection. I could rephrase my original statement as:

Since I define knowledge as based on a combination of logic and facts (with each elements being necessary but not sufficient by itself), and since gods are by definition neither bound by facts (they can hide in the netherworld) nor reason (they can allegedly follow very odd logic or no logic at all), it follows that gods cannot really be known. So the phrase that Frank wrote on A2K about 10 million times – I don’t know if gods exist or not -- is a truism, a tautology: it is true by virtue of how the terms of the sentence are defined. And tautologies, while true, don’t need to be repeated 10 million times.

That sums up my beef with Frank.
The same argument can be made with the half-dozen other platitudes he constantly offers as great wisdom on philosophy threads. The reason I find his mindless repetitions of platitudes objectionable, is not only that it clutters threads and kills them in the egg, but also that it’s meant as an insult: it is used to imply that other posters are too stupid to understand a platitude; they just don’t get it, you see? So they need to hear it again and again…

Quote:
I will say that the first response I got from you was reasonable, you even admitted you felt a pang of guilt and was only doing this because you were bored. OK, that's fair, but very quickly it switched to GB is siding with Frank, you refashioned my comments as if insulted you, I'm a crack poodle, I'm hysterical and a few other unflattering attributes.

Your beef with the thread in principle was a good point. The thread title is a harmless prank, but it was indeed in poor taste and I regret it. I shouldn’t have mentioned Frank’s name in it. If you had kept your criticism at that, you would have won the exchange. Your early punches were solid. But you went into allegations and then later insults which made you look increasingly foolish and out of control.

You forgot rule number 1 in battle threads: never lose your cool. It remains a game, so never take yourself too seriously or you gona look like an out-of-control freak who can’t take pressure, has a problem with free speech, needs to take his medication, to get over himself, etc. Whatever the stakes and the issue at hand, a cool dude will always win over a drama queen. It’s a game that requires self-control, just like real-life debates do.

I was pretty pissed-off at you too at some point and drafted a few shrill messages myself, then scraped them. The worse internet pirate has got to go by some rule, and I can’t trash a woman... Too vulgar, even for me, so I pulled my punches. That’s what saved me this time around.

Quote:
I begged off but you couldn't let it go.

Did you, really? I thought you were kidding. The message you qualified as an “olive branch” was full of scorn. After that and the 2 posts before it -- and all the ones before where you “called BS on me” and “asked for a show of hands” -- how could I possibly conclude that you genuinely wanted to mend fences???

I have not written anything on A2K 10 million times...and for someone who supposedly has only been here one year...I doubt you have read anything on A2K that totals 10 million times. Hyperbole is for lazy debaters, Olivier.

So...the sum total of your beef with me is that I have offered a tautology for consideration...and because of that you had to call me, among other things, a liar, ill-informed, stupid, ignorant, boring, and unworthy of respect or reply.

That is sick, Olivier. That is sick!

But by all means, let's continue.

I have called you, among other things, intelligent, interesting, and at times informative. I'll stick with that.

On a couple of occasions I have offered, with respect, to stop the nonsense...and to repair whatever difficulties existed between us.

You slapped away that hand I offered.

Yet these people come on to say how I have been rude, immature and demeaning...while you, apparently, are of much more mature conduct.

Ya can't make this stuff up. It wouldn't sell. People would say, "Nah...nobody will ever buy that. In fact, nobody would ever even try to sell it."

But they actually gave it a shot...they tried to sell it.

Gazooks, I love this place. If this stuff doesn't tickle you...you just have no sense of humor at all. Wink

I love this place!

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 08:38 pm
C'mon, who called glitter glitterbitch? I can see her take, she didn't have the philosophy arguers' background, threads, years of talk about knowing, and saw gross awfulnus (awfulness?) in the frank attack.

She can be emotional and I probably like her in part for that. I am guessing
Olivier (where are you?) understands now.

edit-

me, I don't care about the word 'know'. I also don't care about the words 'duality' or 'non duality'. Don't get me going on meta.
But I follow this stuff since one of these days I might learn something.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I call her litterbag and shes ok wit dat.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 09:28 pm
I think Olivier types in americanese quite well.

You should see my italian, and I took seven quarters of classes in the nineties.

Funny scenes, as italians would ask me directions (my clothes, the black suit, my old age), and be surprised by my (smarts) and (ignorance), but in either case, horrid italian.

We have an a2k history as he knows my favorite hotel in Rome. When I first went there, it was a Fodor's one star. Garden in the blurb attracted me.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 09:31 pm
I think we need an a2k gathering in Rome, that would fix stuff.

I can't do it myself, but can just picture it.

Think of the arguments!!
0 Replies