tracheostomy and ventilator in ICU help

cvaughn

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 11:22 pm
My 58 year old father had a seizure and is in ICU in a medically induced coma. He is on a ventilator and getting a tracheostomy monday morning. HE has been sedated and on ventilator and feeding tube for 9 days now. The dr mentioned they may put him in a rehab facility after he leaves the ICU. Is that normal protocol? Please help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 739 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 07:05 am
@cvaughn,
I wish I knew, and I'm sorry your family is going through this. You'll do considerably better at sites that are devoted to just medical care or nursing, such as WebMD, to get a more accurate response. Of course no one who's at all competent and cognizant of medical ethics will provide medical advice over the Internet, but they might be willing to answer the question you're posing re normal procedures.

I'd also advise getting a second opinion - in person - if you are concerned.
0 Replies

inthewoods

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 06:01 pm
@cvaughn,
Sorry about your dad.

If you are asking if moving a patient from the ICU to rehab is common? Sure. There is a lot more going on here to just focus on that part. The best strategy is just keep good communication with his DRs, nurses, etc.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 06:56 pm
@cvaughn,
I happen to work in a hospital as a discharge planner and this is typical. Depending whether the patients vitals are stable (not mention insurance coverage) if a patient is stable enough for transfer to a rehab facility this would occur but I would need to know more. Sounds like he is going to a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility).
0 Replies