Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:12 pm
My favorite singers are always women. They come in all sizes shapes and types of voice, and i love 'em all.

Sarah Brightman is the greatest English soprano of her times. She is also, to operatic singers, what the Beatles were to pop bands. She's broken the mold, she's opened new opportunities for them. She has been the first great operatic "crossover" artist.

In Puccini's opera Madama Butterfly, the geisha sings the capstone aria, Un bel di, a tragic song as she thinks that "one fine day," her lover, an American naval officer who has abandoned her, will return. Sarah takes the literal translation of the aria's title, "It's a beautiful day," and adds middle eastern musical influences to create a brand new song:

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:24 pm
Hayley Westenra, a young New Zealand soprano, grew up in the new world that Sarah Brightman created for women who would have been destined for the operatic stage in earlier times. When she was six, a visiting music teacher told her parents she was pitch perfect. At age 12, she was busking on the streets of Christchurch with her sister Sophie, and her father invested a good deal of his life's savings in having a professional quality CD of their singing produced. Hayley and Sophie gave away more than a few of the CDs, but it paid off. When she was 13, her father was able to negotiate a recording contract for her, and she became popular in New Zealand, and was also able to pay for singing lessons (really, it's not as though she really needed them). Then she signed with Decca Records, and produced an album which became an international success--Pure. It is the fastest selling classical debut album in UK history, selling almost 20,000 copies in the first week. It also entered the pop charts in the UK at number eight. No less a figure than Enio Moriconi has asserted that Hayley is pitch perfect, and he made an exception to his life long refusal to arrange for singers in order to do an album with her.

Her she sings the Joni Mitchell classic, "Both Sides Now" . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:27 pm
Not all great female singers are the operatic type. This country girl from Virginia had a brief career as a a star, and a tragic end.

0 Replies

chai2

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:28 pm
Firstr voice is beautiful, but I always preferred deeper voices, like Patsys.

Not to sidetrack, but while searching for alto's (which I had always suspected I was) I found this interesting video that tests your range.

Sure enough, I'm an alto.
My tope note was D4, my low F3 (an alto's range is D5 to F3)

Take the test, it's pretty interesting. The chart stars at 1:22

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:41 pm
Janelle MonĂ¡e moved from her Kansas City home to attend the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, in New York. Her interests took her into the realm of R & B and Soul, and she is a performer, a producer and a brilliant concept artist. Her is her 2010 hit "Tightrope" . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:45 pm
@chai2,
And some singers defy categorization, such as this country girl from Texas. You posted this song on another thread, and i've always loved it.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:49 pm
I love Judy Collins. In Farewell to Tarwathie, she employs the sounds of real whales while she sings
Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 03:50 pm
Here's another New Zealand soprano, Kiri Te Kanawa, singing a Maori love ballad, written a century ago on the eve of the First World War.

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:05 pm
This woman was the darling of the French nation throughout her career, and her singing was about her life, and lives of all women. Piaf is argot, and means "sparrow." La vie en rose could be reasonably translated into English as seeing the world through rose colored glasses. It was her "signature" song.

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:07 pm
I gotta go do some other things, but i'll be back.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:20 pm
Here's the ultimate ballad of teen age angst:

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
From Judy Collins' generation, another great folk singer . . .

0 Replies

jespah

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:41 pm
I've always loved Annie Haslam.

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:46 pm
I like it when the wimmins get involved in more serious music, too . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:48 pm
@jespah,
Cool, i don't believe i had ever heard her before.
jespah

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:53 pm
@Setanta,
For the life of me, I have no idea why they didn't take off and become really big. I love Renaissance.

Here's Robyn Adele Anderson with Postmodern Jukebox. She's a lot more recent but the sound is old timey (and it's a rap, to boot).
Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:55 pm
Continuing the theme of serious female vocalists . . .

0 Replies

chai2

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:58 pm
Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 04:58 pm
@jespah,
I've seen her vids on youtube for some other songs--kewl . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 10 May, 2014 05:03 pm
@chai2,
Cool . . . that's the kind of voice you like, it take it.