jespah

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 04:20 pm
Yay, this topic was revived!
oralloy

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 08:41 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Yay, this topic was revived!
There was a cool guitar solo (and shocking backstory behind it) that I meant to post in the guitar solo thread, but I never got around to doing it.

Now and then I still think about hunting it down and posting it. Maybe one day I will do so.

I've also always meant to post some '80s metal in the '80s music thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 08:48 pm
Kylie Minogue began her career in television in her home country of Australia in 1979. She was not successful initially, because producers and directors would yell at her and she would cry on the set. But she got a role in the big hit soap in Oz, and then got the leverage to start a singing career, which had long been her goal. This was a number one hit in the UK and she was off and running after that. The second video, a cover song, is my favorite, which is why I posted it elsewhere at this site.

0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 08:50 pm
Setanta

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 08:52 pm
Jessalonika, is that PMJ?
glitterbag

Wed 13 Jun, 2018 11:04 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POWsFzSFLCE[/youtube]

OMG I remember when this was released by Little Eva.....big big hit in Baltimore Maryland when all the little girls would get home from school in enough time to see the Buddy Dean show (something like Dick Clarks but it came on every weekday) and dance along practicing the new boffo dances. I looked up Little Eva's version and it was shown on Shindig (the backup-dancers will make you cry with shame) but I also relearned it was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin....Holy Moley, a blast from the past.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 14 Jun, 2018 01:05 am
Mariska Veres was the lead singer of the Dutch psychedelic rock group Shocking Blue which had a hit with this song in 1968--it hit no. 1 on the Billboard Hot One Hundred in 1969.

0 Replies

jespah

Thu 14 Jun, 2018 06:44 am
@Setanta,
It's actually not! It's the first thing RAA released on her own.

Here's something else:

Featuring guest stars Hanson, Rebecca Black, Kenny G, Corey Feldman, and Debbie Gibson.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 08:17 am
Yesterday I found a great vinyl from the 70s at the flea market, a double LP by Jane Birkin... The first song was, of course:

There's also a cover of Love For Sale on it: I didn't know Birkin ever did something so jazzy:

0 Replies

najmelliw

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:03 am
Went through the entire thread. Loved a lot, didn't like a few, and couldn't listen to a lot as well (apparently, youtube cut a lot of em due to copyright, or perhaps it's country related).

I didn't find a single mention of this amazing lady though. So I reckon I could be the first to mention this singy girl?

najmelliw

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:04 am
Another song I always remember fondly.

0 Replies

najmelliw

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:08 am
I always wonder about the name of this outfit when I listen to the song: is it a feminist stab at a very derogatory way to talk about women at large, or did the name come about in a more positive manner?

I love this song though... it's very unique.

ehBeth

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:12 am
@najmelliw,
PJs awesome. big fan here.

__

one of my current favs

Iskwe'

0 Replies

najmelliw

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Amy Lee sings this song on the 2003 album of the group Evanescence.

Actually, you linked to this song by evanescence twice in this thread Set. And you mentioned two other songs by them as well (and I love all three, but this one (My Immortal) Especially.

Too bad I didn't see any others in that style of music, since I really like it. Well, perhaps I'll link to one of my own? A dutch symphonic metal band, with a dedicated fanbase. Hope you like it. I do Smile

ehBeth

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:37 am
Tanya and Buffy

0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 10:44 am
@najmelliw,
drats - "uploader has not made this video available for your country"

will see if I can find a copy we can view here
Setanta

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:39 am
@najmelliw,
Breeders is the common term of contempt which female homosexuals use for heterosexuals.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:45 am
I kept wanting to post this for GB--and I kept forgetting. Now I've remembered, so here's the original by Little Eva:

0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 11:50 am
This Burt Bacharach and Hal David hit was recorded in 1967 by Dusty Springfield (when I was in high school, it was "cool" to refer to her as Dirty Rifle):

0 Replies

najmelliw

Mon 18 Jun, 2018 12:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, that's a shame. Here's a live recording from the German Rock Am Ring.

Hope this one does work!

PS. I liked that Iskwe song!

EDIT: Incidentally, Within Temptation did something interesting to celebrate their 15 year anniversary in 2013, by releasing a new cover every week for a total of 15 weeks, mostly covers of then relatively current hits such as Grenade by Bruno Mars, Don't you worry child by Swedish Greyhound mafia, but also a classic like behind blue eyes. IT's called the Q-Music Sessions, named for the radio station that released these tracks. If you like this style of music,you might want to listen to them.
0 Replies