Soldier: "I Was Told to 'Make it Hell.'"

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:11 am
THE dazzling smile of the US soldier and warm embrace with the Iraqi child presented the image of a liberated Iraq that the US administration wanted the world to see.

But the truth behind the happy image is that the soldier it shows, Sabrina Harman, has been charged in connection with the photographs of appalling cruelty towards Iraqi prisoners that have shocked the world.

Harman, who faces a possible court-martial, claimed it was her job to "make it hell" for Iraqi prisoners so they would talk. She claimed in an army report that she had to keep detainees awake, among them a hooded prisoner seen in a photograph, who was placed on a box with wires attached to his fingers, toes and genitals. She is also accused of telling him that if he fell off the box he would be electrocuted.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=530112004
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,802 • Replies: 27
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:13 am
how can she lie that much - and we can all clearly see in Tarantulas post that in famous iraqi bloggers know that it's all media hype and maybe, MAYBE; one or two prisoners were tortured and that only with irritation spray
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:15 am
Re: Soldier: "I Was Told to 'Make it Hell.'"
greenumbrella wrote:
.....who was placed on a box with wires attached to his fingers, toes and genitals. She is also accused of telling him that if he fell off the box he would be electrocuted.

Addition to Ali's blog:

- So, doctor, tell me if they had electricity in prison? (I asked him that because it was well known that during Saddam prisoners had electricity only twice in 3 years)

- Sure they had, they had plenty of electricity all the time

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:48 am
I am afraid I missed the charges that the atrocities committed at Iraqi prison was just so much media hype. I suppose the photos are the result of clever computer graphics too.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:55 am
Re: Soldier: "I Was Told to 'Make it Hell.'"
MyOwnUsername wrote:
greenumbrella wrote:
.....who was placed on a box with wires attached to his fingers, toes and genitals. She is also accused of telling him that if he fell off the box he would be electrocuted.

Addition to Ali's blog:

- So, doctor, tell me if they had electricity in prison? (I asked him that because it was well known that during Saddam prisoners had electricity only twice in 3 years)

- Sure they had, they had plenty of electricity all the time

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

But in the photograph, the wires aren't attached to anything.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:06 am
yeeeeaaaaahhhh......and you can even see plug-in that is not pluged in anything......

oh geee

Green - it was my free interpretation of Famous Ali's new posts.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:10 am
Yeah but with that hood on his head the prisoner couldn't see that..........
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:49 am
of course he could - it was hood with big holes, I told you it was just for a play
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:09 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
it's all media hype and maybe, MAYBE; one or two prisoners were tortured and that only with irritation spray

of course he could - it was hood with big holes, I told you it was just for a play

Dude, are you SERIOUS? See, this is the type of thing that just astounds me about people. Whether you like Bush or not, support the war or not, you have to realize that things like this are most likely going to happen.

Fine, I don't like it, but thats how it is. Its a human nature thing (put someone in charge of the enemy in an insufficiently supervised environment without proper training, etc). But when people like "username" bury their heads in the sand so deep that they actually make claims like the above, that just amazes me. Is he the only one that feels this way? or are there others who support this view?

Maybe its just me, but when I read comments like that (from either the left or the right), I'm just left speechless... then depressed that people who say stuff like that probably can and will vote. Ay yi yi.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:44 pm
Hey, welcome to A2K, Justan -- you're obviously not one of the chat room imbiciles that unfortunately represents the average American.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:40 pm
Thousands of miles away, and still people seem to KNOW what went on (and maybe is still going on) in the Abu Graib prison. MyOwnUsername, you said to me in a post that I can't know whether some allegations are true or not true (although I did have evidence and I showed that to you, but that are only details now). And now you are making the same mistake!
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:50 pm
Justan, welcome to A2K but I must admit that I am not sure what is the point of your post.

Even with you being newbie it's hard, very very hard to believe that you haven't noticed irony in my posts (irony that is related to some other posts and topics, and what people that read those too are well aware of)
I suppose that is the correct assumption.

Of course, because I am completely amazed that someone really thinks that someone (not me, anyone) think that all these photos are actually scenes of play proud american soldiers are making with iraqi prisoners (happy to be in american prisons) there is another possibility - that you are die-hard Bush supporter and your problem is that I am ironic about claims of similar to you.

If there are still some misunderstandings - it was irony. And it was related to other posts from approx. same time - specifically "Abu Gharib, other parts of the picture (Iraqi blog)"

So, now we are both amazed - and I wonder if I'll be amazed even more if I found out that you knew it was irony and that was your real problem - of someone making fun with your beloved president. I hope that's not the case.

Same goes to Rick as well respectfully.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:32 pm
actually it's even more confusing with you Rick, cause you know my opinion about current US govt. pretty well
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:51 pm
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:40 pm
As the Iraqi prisoner fracas builds and grows into an international scandal, how much longer until Bushco announces a new terrorist alert to divert and distract attention from his administration?

Remember the morning he and Cheney were to speak to the 9/11 Committee, a hysterical alert that shopping centers on the Westside of Los Angeles were the latest terrorist targets.

These phoney alerts always happen conveniently and like clockwork when the heat is on this administration's feet.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:24 pm
MyOwnUsername wrote:
Even with you being newbie it's hard, very very hard to believe that you haven't noticed irony in my posts (irony that is related to some other posts and topics, and what people that read those too are well aware of)
I suppose that is the correct assumption.

You nailed it... I've not read any of your previous posts and thought you were totally serious with your comments...which just floored me (I actually registered here just because I was so stunned at the comment I had to respond to it)!

It was a misunderstanding, and I'm glad you weren't serious. Then again, there are plenty of people who DO agree with the literal statement of your ironic comment, which is where my real astonishment lies.

In any case, thanks for clearing that up, and I officially retract my previous post Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:31 pm
The picture of Sabrina Harman hugging the Iraqi child was on the front page of my newspaper this morning. A pretty, smiling girl, who looked little older than a child, herself. Alongside this photograph was the shot of her with Charles Garner & the prisoners at Abu Ghraib. My thoughts: What a shocking loss of innocence! War seems to corrupt all who participate, in either a willing or unwilling way. Why are we still trying to resolve conflicts & problems in such a primitive way at the beginning of the 21st century? Why don't we ever learn?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 10:09 pm
Do any of you believe that these soilders performed these deeds on thier own. They claim they were ordered to do this and I believe them. The CIA printed a handbok for southamerican conseratives on how to break peoples spirit. What was going on in Iraq is straight from the CIA hand book.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:50 pm
I agree, Rabel. I wonder if the response from the Bush administration will be to ban cameras in the prisons. I hear people saying that the major problem is that the pictures were taken and not that the abuse occurred.
It looks like the court-martials will go on against the enlisted soldiers before the investigation is complete.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:11 am
Yeah Justan, unfortunately you are right. When I think about it, it seems hard not to understand, but on the other hand it's really sad that my irony is not that much different then some of really serious posts here. I mean, when you think deeply about it, this "Abu Gharib......" post sounds as much ironic as my posts, only problem is that Tarantulas was not ironic.

And, as of voting, I must say that I am from Croatia so I will not vote anyway Smile And I am glad because of that - considering some other topics about election in USA I would also have huge problems with choosing to vote for what I believe (Nader) or to vote against worst. But, actually, I have nothing to be glad, on every croatian election I face same choice.
0 Replies