got his Blue

WBYeats

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 04:55 am
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/108/108-h/108-h.htm
(adventure of three students)
I will tell you, then, in a few words the character of the three men who inhabit these rooms. The lower of the three is Gilchrist, a fine scholar and athlete, plays in the Rugby team and the cricket team for the college, and got his Blue for the hurdles and the long jump.
====================
Does it mean he is good at hurdles and long jump?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 433 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 05:40 am
Yes, it means that. Very likely, it refers to a blue ribbon, which is the first place award for field events, such as running, the high jump, the broad jump, etc. However, that is an American custom, and you might need to wait until and Englishman shows up to give you a correct response.
McTag

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 08:20 am
@Setanta,

No Englishmen here yet, but I can confirm that to "get a blue" from your university college means you are selected to represent your college in your event, sport, etc. Rowing blue, soccer, rugby, athletics etc.

I think it was originally a blue cap or something, but the colour represents success. Probably a special necktie too.
McTag

Reply Thu 8 May, 2014 11:56 am
@McTag,

There's a lot about this in Wikipedia.

An excerpt:

"The first sporting contest between the universities of Oxford and Cambridge was held on 4 June 1827, when a two-day cricket match at Lord's, organized by Charles Wordsworth, nephew of William, resulted in a draw. There is no record of any university "colours" being worn during the game.[1][2]

At the first Boat Race in 1829, the Oxford crew was dominated by students of Christ Church, whose college colours were dark blue. They wore white shirts with dark blue stripes, while Cambridge wore white with a pink or scarlet sash. At the second race, in 1836, a light blue ribbon was attached to the front of the Cambridge boat, probably as it was the colour of Eton. These colours — light blue for Cambridge, and dark blue for Oxford — became the official colours of the two boat clubs, and through the rivalry of the Boat Race, the colours became inextricably linked with the universities and contests between the two."
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 01:55 am
Thank you~
0 Replies