Stable and breaking

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:02 pm
(1) What does stable mean below?

America votes 2004: In-depth coverage of the primaries through the election from CNN's unmatched stable of political reporters and pundits.

I guess the "stable" means "a flock of horses".Smile

(2) Does "breaking" below mean "newest"? But such a definition can not be found in dictionaries.

Breaking national and international news

(3) Does JAG mean Judge advocate general?

"Some of the lessons learned (during the gulf war) were about how important it was to have JAG officers at the facilities," Buyer said, referring to military legal advisers.

If so, I feel the usage of JAG officers seems not proper. It should be JAG or JAGs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 721 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Eos

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:20 pm
1) Yes, except it's not a 'flock' of horses. It's a 'herd' of horses, but if you're using the term 'stable' (the building where horses are kept), you'll just say a stable of horses.

2) Yes; news 'breaks' - that is, news becomes available. We also say things like "I'll break the news to her" (ie, I'll tell her the news - though in this usage, the news is usually going to be bad news. 'Breaking news', as on the television, is not necessarily good or bad).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:55 pm
Hi Eos,

A herd of horses is a very proper usage no doubt. But I've seen this pretty fine usage: a flock of sheep. And AHD tells us:
Flock: A group of animals that live, travel, or feed together.
So I'm afraid the usage of "a flock of horses" works.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:03 am
Good morning, O. I hope all is well with you.

Those who speak English like to make it complicated, haven't you noticed?
So, when we speak of different groups of things, we like to use different words to indicate a group; for horses, it's a herd, for sheep, it's a flock.
Here's more:
a pod of whales
a school of tuna
a flock of seagulls
a gaggle of geese
a flight of pigeons (they can be a flock too Rolling Eyes ).

All these words mean some kind of group, but they can't be used interchangeably without looking and sounding odd.

Using the word 'stable' for reporters implies CNN has a group of workers ready to report, it implies steadiness. Sports reporters like to refer to a stable of relief pitchers for a baseball team, there's a sense of a group able to do a job that's standing by. If the writer had used 'flock of reporters, or gaggle of pundits, the meaning would have been completely different, more indicating of a group of unorganized people capable of little more than making noise.

(Hey, maybe they should have used flock and gaggle for CNN. :wink: :wink: :wink: )

Joe

PS: There's an old joke that goes:

Man: Hey, there's a flock of horses!
Woman: Herd.
Man: Herd of what?
Woman: Herd of horses.
Man: Yes, I've heard of horses! Hell, I just saw a flock of them!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:42 am
Very Happy Thanks for the joke, Joe. Razz And thanks for the explanation.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:45 am
Happy to help.

J
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:47 am
Oristar, I thought that given your post, you might be interested in this list, although it might drive you crazy, as English is crazy indeed:

http://www.sutv.zaq.ne.jp/thomas/animal.html
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:02 am
And, I might add, some on those lists are jokes.

J
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:07 am
Yes Joe, thanks for driving me mad.
Okay just come to the point, I'd learn one usage each time as clicking that link.

================================
A Murder of Crows 

The usage, eh, I don't see "you" murdered the crows, "you' murdered the English language maybe.
It is a joke. Right?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 09:22 pm
Nope, that's not one of the jokes... I don't know why it's called that, but "a murder of crows" has been English for a long time...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:16 pm
Okay, what definition does the word murder here have?
I guess your answer is:

"Simple, a murder of crows = a flock of crows!"
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 11:47 pm
O; the meaning of 'stable' in your example is even more complicated; a stable is where horses are normally kept, but in horse breeding circles the owners and enthusiasts refer to the Windfield Farms (for example) 'stable', and in this context it refers to the group of horses owned by that particular owner.

In the same manner a newspapers 'stable' of reporters would be the group of journalists working for that paper.

and as for the 'murder' of crows, i suspect (not validated) that this comes from the ancient view of crows as being harbingers of evil!
0 Replies