if ever there was

WBYeats

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 02:32 am

"Yes, sir, he is dead."

"But how? An accident?"

"Murder, if ever there was one upon earth."
========================

Does the last sentence serve the function of emphasizing the astonishment at there being a murder, without concrete meaning?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 462 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 02:48 am
The last sentence expresses the speaker's belief that the death was a murder and not an accident. The phrase "if ever there was one upon earth" serves the function of emphasising that the speaker's belief is a very strong one, amounting to a conviction.

similar constructions:

That was a lie, if ever I heard one!
That was a good joke, if ever I heard one!
If ever a good woman trod the Earth, she was one.

This type of language is only found in old works of fiction, and is somewhat archaic, to say the least.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 03:05 am
Seems to me the conditional subjective ought to come into play. Really not sure, but sounds to me as though it should read, "...if ever there were..."
contrex

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 03:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Seems to me the conditional subjective ought to come into play. Really not sure, but sounds to me as though it should read, "...if ever there were..."

Hmmm... you've got me thinking now. Don't you think maybe the speaker is saying if there had ever been (definitely, not hypothetically) a murder committed on earth, this was one? I am not 100% sure though. This is not high literature (one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, "The Adventure Of Wisteria Lodge", published in 1908).

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 05:13 am
I think that an important point may be that the material quoted is dialogue spoken by a fictional character, who is under no obligation to speak "correctly".
void123

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 07:31 am
@contrex,
http://youtu.be/QrtydD2u1N0
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:58 am
@contrex,
Thank you~
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Really not sure, but sounds to me as though it should read, "...if ever there were..."
Technically yes, Frank; tho collo uses "was"
0 Replies