Do government agencies need to be armed?

Advocate

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 11:56 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The BLM, DoE, IRS, Post Office, TSA, DoC, DHHS, USDA, BIA are all armed agancies that really have no reason to be, in my opinion.

The FBI is supposed to be the Federal cops. They have been, and should be armed. They should also be the agency called when other agencies need to have an armed response. That way, only the FBI, who train with weapons and have the training and experience to use them. They are trained in tactics and investigations etc...

Other then the FBI, these agencies should be using local police when they need to or perhaps even state police. We have enough police forces on the local, state and federal forces that every dept or agency in the govt does not need it's own strike forces. It's getting way out of hand.

My 2 cents.

As you know, the arming of the general public is way out of hand. Thus, why should government employees be the only ones who are not allowed to be armed.

For instance, a few years ago, a friend was a revenue officer (tax collector) for the IRS. He went to a rural home to meet with a delinquent taxpayer. The taxpayer came out of house with a rifle and began shooting at my friend, who was hiding behind a tree. My friend, who had no weapon, thought his life would soon end. However, the taxpayer then turned the gun onto himself.

Thus, should the public be allowed to arm itself, and to shoot when feeling threatened, but not allow government employees to bear arms? This seems to me to be unfair and unduly dangerous to the government employee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 11:58 am
I don't believe the original FBI started with armed agents. It evolved that way. FDA - I would disarm them.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 12:04 pm
I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the second amendment. The supreme court has certainly given it an expansive meaning. Moreover, the amendment certainly doesn't say anything about excluding government employees from bearing arms.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:00 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the second amendment. The supreme court has certainly given it an expansive meaning. Moreover, the amendment certainly doesn't say anything about excluding government employees from bearing arms.

This and other similar comments are evidence of a very disturbing acceptance of the government having primary status over the citizenry.

There is a huge difference between individuals working for the government arming themselves as private citizens and the government arming its agents in the most mundane of beaurocracies. There is a huge difference between arming members of the FBI and employees of the EPA.

You folks bemoan that your fellow citizens have guns but are all A-OK with every government employee packing.

Truly incredible.

You're all longing to be Eloi
coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,

Quote:
You're all longing to be Eloi

I liked the first movie the best. But you are right about the prevailing attitude.

It is mass-emasculation.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:48 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Quote:
While the U.S. Department of Education's notice of intent to buy 27 brand-new Model 870 police-grade 12-gauge shotguns may conjure up visions of jack-booted federal thugs marching down the halls of your local grade school, the Department's need for the guns is valid.

The shotguns, intended to supplement the Department of Education's "existing shotgun inventory, certified armor and combat training and protocol," will be used by the Department's Office of Inspector General (OIG).

As the law enforcement arm of the Department of Education, the OIG investigates cases of fraud, theft and other illegal uses of federal education funds. Since their job requires potentially dangerous duties including serving warrants and making felony arrests, Education Department OIG agents are require to carry firearms.

An annual list of cases investigated by Education Department OIG agents over the last 10 years reveals many cases of fraud involving the theft of from $100,000 to $600,000 in federal funds.

source

The Dept od Ed does not need guns. How about one single Office of Inspector General. Then, when they need to serve warrants or felony arrests (seriously? WTF would they be making arrests for?) they can utilize the local police. I know some believe the locals to be just like Barney Fife, but for the most part they are more likely then not able to make arrests and serve warrants. I stand by my belief they do not need guns or any kind of armed security force.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:48 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'm confused...

you want all of the citizens to be allowed to carry guns (including assault rifles), but no one in the government to.

does that seem odd to anyone else?

Don't be a douchebag. I said nothing of the sort you ******* idiot.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

We all know that the TSA and the Secret Service shouldn't be armed. Surprised How dare the TSA try and provide security in order to protect the US from another 9/11 event?!

How dare the secret service try and protect the president from assassination? Or try and enforce the law against violent currency counterfeiters? Of course, Republicans have the right to assassinate President Obama then allow the Secret Service to be armed only when Republicans have their president in the office.
Rolling Eyes

Yeah, another idiot. Do you guys even bother to read or just post whatever gibberish that comes to mind? Did you see the Secret Service in any list of mine? Why would the Secret Service not be armed? Dumbass.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:52 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

The DoE has a department that is responsible for the safe transport of nuclear materials including nuclear weapons. Sure, it would be a great idea to make sure they weren't armed.

DoE in my reference was the Dept of Education, not energy.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 10:54 pm
@McGentrix,
having a rough day?

why don't you just go kick the dog...

you have little room to be tossing around "idiot".

I will leave you and coldsore to discuss it...
coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 11:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:

Let me fix that for you. You meant to say that you trust the government implicitly. And that any questioning of motive is unnecessary. Oh, and also you can't contribute much more than you already have.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 11:33 pm
@coldjoint,
I meant just what I said.

go **** yourself...
coldjoint

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 10:58 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I meant just what I said.

http://www.acidpulse.us/images/smilies/bs22.gif
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 11:25 am
@McGentrix,
They need to make arrest for fraud and improper use of federal funds just like the quote in which you replied said. You can stand by any statement you wish, it don't make it legitimate.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 11:46 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Do you guys even bother to read or just post whatever gibberish that comes to mind?

The latter of course. It is a very prevalent and very annoying habit for many members of all ideological bents.

And what is particularly annoying is how they think they are oh so clever in calling you out on something you never wrote.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 12:32 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

They need to make arrest for fraud and improper use of federal funds just like the quote in which you replied said. You can stand by any statement you wish, it don't make it legitimate.

No, the Dept of Education does not need to arrest anyone. If they suspect fraud, then hand over the evidence to the Federal Police Dept. Better known as the FBI. Let them handle it.

This is why the Federal Govt is so bloated. constant duplication of jobs across depts. It's govt bloat at it's finest and it is out of hand.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 12:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

having a rough day?

why don't you just go kick the dog...

you have little room to be tossing around "idiot".

Possibly a bad day but come on, every word you wrote has nothing even close to what the thread is about or what I have said in it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 12:46 pm
@McGentrix,
You are tilting at windmills.

These devout Statists (although they will never acknowledge this is what they are) will continue to line up like lemmings and jump off the cliff telling you why The Government needs to arm all of its agents.

One out of a thousand may eventually wake up and say "Yeah, why do employees of the EPA, the Department of Education, the BLM, etc need to be armed?" None of them will be found in this forum.

They are happy with Big Brother, he comforts them.

Unless of course a Republican is at the helm and then they will all be right there with you .
McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 01:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Unless of course a Republican is at the helm and then they will all be right there with you .

Sad, but true.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 01:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
These devout Statists (although they will never acknowledge this is what they are) will continue to line up like lemmings and jump off the cliff telling you why The Government needs to arm all of its agents.

Can you show where anyone, on this thread or anywhere else, has said that the Government needs to arm all of its agents?

You two are silly.