Can i get unemplyment if I quit my job?

dawny

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 12:15 pm
I quit my job after getting hurt at work a inury that should of been prevented. I sprained my lower back muscle pretty bad. My job is very physical I am a veterinary technician. The doctor gave me a note that if i couldnt be seated and no lifting over ten pounds then i would need to stay out of work until i healed. My boss made me come in, i was never able to sit and i constantly lifted way over ten pounds. I was never allowed to leave early for PT or for my follow up appoiments. After a month and a half my knee started swelling up. I went to the ER after five days of the pain they said it was probably from over compensating for my back and i needed a orthopedic doctor right away.again my boss made me come in and i couldnt ever get off for the doctors so i quit. Unemployment denied my claim so i appealed it. Do anyone know if you can win that due to i kept getting hurt and my boss did not care for my health. We were short staffed i asked repeately for help for months before my injury
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 12:28 pm
@dawny,
Not sure where you are located -- but you cannot get unemployment if you quit.

However, it would seem that you should be covered for some compensation for being injured at work - you could contact your state's labor department. Being in a vet's office -- it is likely with such a small business they do not have insurance for this, however, some states may have a special trust fund for workers' injured working for a business that does not have workers' compensation insurance. You may be able to file a claim and/sue your employer.

I would contact labor department in your state any way - as it seems depending on the laws in your state -- you should have not been forced to go to work.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 12:42 pm
@dawny,
The laws for collecting Unemployment insurance vary from state to state. However, if you were injured on the job you should be contacting them and asking if there are any exceptions you fall under. At the same time, I would be pushing for Workers' Compensation - you might need to hire a lawyer to get it all straightened out.
Ragman

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 12:48 pm
@dawny,
This seems a bit odd. You posted this same question a short while ago. http://able2know.org/topic/238923-1#post-5616173
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:01 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

The laws for collecting Unemployment insurance vary from state to state.

As well as country to country.

To the OP: just get an attorney or consult an employment attorney from a nonprofit foundation if money is an issue.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 04:26 pm
@Ragman,
Was just going to look for that. He/she never did answer any of our questions that might have helped advise her. Bet the same thing happens this time.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 11:17 am
@dawny,
i recommend getting fired
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 12:25 pm
@void123,
void123 wrote:

i recommend getting fired

In New York state, getting fired means one thing. You will not be collecting unemployment. The only way one can collect unemployment in New York state is to be laid off.
roger

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
In New Mexico, you can as long as you weren't fired for insubordination or safety violation. The theory seems to be that the employer had ample opportunity to investigate job qualifications and character before hiring.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
wtf is the diff?
then do that.. laid off
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:14 pm
@void123,
You can't just voluntarily get laid off. Good luck with that. That requires an employer who has a modicum of compassion.

You do realize that the employer will be paying half of the unemployment insurance and why would they do so if they don't have to do so at all?

What's the difference? Plant closes down. Lays off all of its workers. That's not the same thing legally as an employer who fires an employee for misconduct, conflict, incompetence, or general inability to do their respective job.
void123

Reply Thu 1 May, 2014 07:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
i did it its called minipulation
0 Replies