Voting Nader In the Upcoming Election Is Immoral and Naive

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:25 am
revel wrote:
Someone asked a very important question, does anyone know what nader stands for that is so different than kerry? Or is he just someone different than Kerry? What kind of government does he believe in and what would change under him that would not change with Kerry. Has he said that he would pull all our troops out of Iraq immediately?

Yes. Nader stands for progressive views. Kerry doesn't. Here are the top issues on my list.

- The Israel-Palestine crisis. Nader supports a peaceful just resolution. Kerry supports targeted killings.
- The war in Iraq. 'Nuff said.
- Gay marriages. Nader supports them. Kerry rejects them and offers a mediocre "civil union" instead.

These are the big three with me. Kerry's positions on these issues mean that I would not vote for him even if Nader didn't exist. But Nader does exist and he represents my positions.

I would add other issues, but I realize that these are progressive issues that don't have a big enough base. I would not hold a Democratic candidate to these, but Nader still gets them right. These would include universal health care, education and real tax reform.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:59 am
EBrown
Your Nader, Kerry beliefs are just republican dreck that you have tried to use as facts. The statements used by you are not backed by any facts that i have read. Most of this is republican propaganda where Kerry is concerned. As I said earlier you have a klinker in your thinker where Kerry is concerned. Im not crazy about him myself but anyone would be better than Bush. A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. Look at the 3 way polls before you deny this is true.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:11 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I have already said that I will not vote for Kerry. This has nothing to do with Nader.

Then don't vote for Kerry.

Quote:
So I have two choices. I can stay home or I can vote for Nader. A vote for Nader is a far better choice.

If you want to flush your vote, have fun.

Quote:
Those of us who vote for Nader will have our votes counted. If 6% or 8% of voters choose Nader it will send a message that there is a significant block of voters who will not vote for a candidate that doesn't represent their principles.

Yes, you will have your votes counted, but 6-8% doesn't mean a thing (and most analysts don't think Nader will get more than 5% of the vote, if that). Further, just because you vote for Nader, if he isn't actually elected, you still have to live under either Kerry or Bush. Just getting 5% of the vote doesn't mean Nader gets to make 5% of the policy, it doesn't work that way. This is an all-or-nothing proposition. Kerry or Bush will be elected, it's just a matter of which one is the lesser of the two evils.

I pick Kerry.

Quote:
This quote is scary.

No, it's reality. Sorry if you find reality scary.

Quote:
This pressure is healthy. It ensures that the important voices in the nation are represented by one side or the other. This fact that people can choose not to support you is the key to making an essentially two party system representative.

That assumes that people intelligently evaluate the positions of the parties and the candidates, which we both know isn't the case. Many, and perhaps most voters vote by party, whether or not they like, or even know about the positions given. Very few care about what the candidate will actually do in office, they only listen to carefully sound bites and look at TV presence or vote on religious affiliation. Campaign promises aren't important to most candidates, they'll say whatever it takes to get elected and once in office, it all goes out the window. American voters are shallow and stupid with a short attention span and an even shorter memory and even if lied to, they'll forget all about it by the time the next election comes around.

That's the reality of our political system.

Quote:
I will point out that if Kerry wins in 04, we will have to make the same compromise in 2008 when we have a race between Kerry and Cheney.

Every election requires a compromise because there is rarely a candidate worth voting for at all. If I had to wait for someone that truly represented me, I'd never end up voting. They're all bad. They're all power-motivated rich twits who have spent so much time in the political machine that they've lost touch with reality, if they ever had it to begin with.

Idealism can be a wonderful thing, but it doesn't change a thing in reality. We've already seen what kind of damage an idiot like Bush can do to the country and we simply cannot afford another 4 years of his theocratic crap. Kerry certainly isn't a wonderful candidate but he deserves a chance, even if it's more because we don't want Bush than because Kerry's policies are so much better and represent us all.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:16 am
ebrown_p wrote:
- The Israel-Palestine crisis. Nader supports a peaceful just resolution. Kerry supports targeted killings.

What crisis? It's yet another example of the US being involved where it doesn't belong.

Quote:
- The war in Iraq. 'Nuff said.

Caused by Bush. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
- Gay marriages. Nader supports them. Kerry rejects them and offers a mediocre "civil union" instead.

Idealism aside, let's be realistic. *ALL* marriages are civil unions because they are granted and licensed by the state. If Nader ever did get elected, he'd never be able to get gay marriage past Congress. A "civil union" with 100% of the same rights and benefits as marriage is no different than marriage, it's just semantics. It's stupid to fight over a word.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:54 am
Cephus, Your partisan rhetoric is almost amusing. But it is just partisan rhetoric. I am an independent and for me it doesn't mean much.

If they Democrats want my vote they need to represent me.

Quote:

Many, and perhaps most voters vote by party, whether or not they like, or even know about the positions given. Very few care about what the candidate will actually do in office, they only listen to carefully sound bites and look at TV presence or vote on religious affiliation. Campaign promises aren't important to most candidates, they'll say whatever it takes to get elected and once in office, it all goes out the window. American voters are shallow and stupid with a short attention span and an even shorter memory and even if lied to, they'll forget all about it by the time the next election comes around.

This is exactly the problem. If you choose to use your vote this way, go ahead.

I don't vote by party. I don't vote for people with positions that I don't like and I do take the time to know about these positions. I don't vote based on sound bits or on religious affiliation. I am not shallow nor stupid.

You are right that if I were the way that you describe "most voters" I would certainly vote for Kerry or Bush.

But I am not.

The very idea that I should act like the typical "shallow" American voter just because everyone else is doing it is preposterous.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:02 am
rabel22 wrote:
EBrown
Your Nader, Kerry beliefs are just republican dreck that you have tried to use as facts. The statements used by you are not backed by any facts that i have read. Most of this is republican propaganda where Kerry is concerned. As I said earlier you have a klinker in your thinker where Kerry is concerned. Im not crazy about him myself but anyone would be better than Bush. A vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. Look at the 3 way polls before you deny this is true.

Please elaborate. What statements have I used that are not backed up by facts.

I would be happy to provide facts if you tell me what you are confused about.

I have also looked at the 3 way polls. I still don't see how you say that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. It seems to me that if all the people who said they would vote for Nader, voted for Bush instead, the numbers would be quite a bit different.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:43 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Cephus, Your partisan rhetoric is almost amusing. But it is just partisan rhetoric. I am an independent and for me it doesn't mean much.

LOL! I'm hardly partisan, I'm a lifelong registered Republican who voted for Reagan way way way back when.

Quote:
I don't vote by party. I don't vote for people with positions that I don't like and I do take the time to know about these positions. I don't vote based on sound bits or on religious affiliation. I am not shallow nor stupid.

I don't either, but I do vote intelligently. A ficus probably represents me better than any candidate running but I'm not out voting for plants. I do realize that we have a choice between Bush and Kerry and am voting against Bush because I don't want him anywhere near the White House for another 4 years. If you can find me an independent candidate who has any chance in hell of defeating Bush, I'd be happy to vote for him.

But you can't.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:44 pm
If Kerry drops way down in the polls, and it is clear that he has no chance to win, I guess you'll be voting for Bush then.
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:29 pm
The chance of my vote making any differencve whatsoever is less than zero: my home state has gone overwhelmingly Democratic in every election (except the Reagan landslides) in memory--it was something like 65% for Gore in 2000. I wouldn't vote for Shrub OR Live-Shot under any circumstances I can think of. The only reason I'm even bothering to vote in November is because there are several local elections (where my vote WILL have some meaning) I care about. If there were no local elections, I'd stay home.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:37 pm
The only thing that bothers me is: The media machine, and voters' beliefs that their candidate can't win really can make a difference in who is elected.

What if a plurality of people either vote pragmatically or stay home--and could have elected a third party candidate? I do think this is a possibility--maybe not this time, but SOME time. I really believe voting one's conscience can make a difference. I think things would be different if everyone voted their heart, no matter how they rationalize their state's vote, or any other criteria. I used to think the two-party system was best--but I'm beginning to think we need about five or so strong, individualized parties.

It is so disappointing to see what emerges at the top of the two heaps every election cycle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:52 pm
Not bad, sophia.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:05 pm
ebrown
Im going to point this out even though I know that you know what I ment by the 3 way voter polls. When Bush and Kerry are head to head in the polls the difference is 1 0r 2 % points. Two way poll. When Nader is added to the mix Bush gains a 7 or 8% edge which means that the Nader vote is withdrawn from Kerry. A three way poll. The republicans are pushing a Nader candidate with glee. It wouldent supprise me if they were aiding Nader financially in order to keep him in the race. So a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. Stupid, arnt I.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:26 pm
I am not saying that you are stupid. You are saying a very stupid thing when you say "a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush".i

You didn't provide very precise poll numbers, but assuming your numbers and analysis are correct, 8% of people who would vote for Kerry will vote for Nader if he is in the race.

But these votes are still counted as Nader votes, not Bush votes. If this 8% decided to vote for Bush instead of Nader, Bush would have a 15% edge. So it makes a big difference that these voters are voting for Nader instead of Bush.

But that is not the point to be made here. What you may be saying is that Kerry doesn't have a chance to win the election if Nader is in the race.

As people have been saying we need to accept political reality. Nader and Nader voters are a political reality.

People have also been saying it is wrong to vote for a candidate who doesn't have a chance. Based on this logic, Kerry is out and there is only one logical conclusion.

All of us should go vote for Bush.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:36 pm
It is foolish, I believe, to indicate that the vote for a third party candidate will make no difference. If one cannot bring himself to vote for either Kerry or Bush because he feels they do not represent his interests or ideas, and the third party candidate does so, it would be a perversion of the voting process to allow the politicians to think that only 5% of the country agrees with Nader when a vote on principle by all would result in a 10% vote for Nader. Bush is reviled by many. Kerry's positions excite no one. The politicians must get a message from us that there is something basically wrong with the postures taken by both major candidates.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 05:22 pm
I think mporter is correct.

If a third party candidate breaks 10%, by the next election cycle, there may be a stronger, viable third party, a challenge to the status quo. The change won't take place quickly enough to satisfy some, but it could be the impetus for the real change so many seek.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 06:44 pm
Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin, Hitler, and Lenin all held public elections. Of course there was only one name on the respective ballots and it went rather badly for any who presumed to file a protest vote.

I do understand the emotion behind the drumbeat that a vote for Nader is a vote for Bush. But there is something unAmerican about discouraging people from voting their conscience.

My preference is that whomever wins this election would do so with a clear majority (more than 50%) of the popular vote along with a majority in the electoral college. With a third party candidate, that scenario appears less likely, but is not impossible if the candidates campaign well in the coming months.

How did we get to be so hatefully partisan? When I am elected benevolent dictator for a year, one of my first edicts will be that nobody may utter criticism of any public figure without first saying three nice things about that figure no matter how creative s/he may have to be.

I think that would stop a lot of the nonsense that is happening though many members of Congress would be apolectic the first day.
0 Replies

fairandbalanced

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:26 am
Actually voting for the third party candidate can make a difference. In this case, it could make Bush win the next election just like Perot's candidacy made a huge dent on the GOP's chances in the nineties. So if you lean more to left than to the right and you want to vote for Nader, you must weigh the consequences carefully. Remember that change and progress does not come overnight. If you really want to change America, you gotta vote Democrat or Green on every local, state, and national election. A left majority in the state and national congress can do a whole lot more to change the country than a Nader win.

If you want a sure Bush defeat in this coming presidential elections, you must vote Kerry. If you want to vote your conscience knowing full well that Nader will not win, then vote for Nader.

Nader will not get 8 percent of the vote so I don't know where you guys got that. Nader will not even get 3 or 4 percent. In 2000, Nader was on the ballot in only 43 states and the District of Columbia and only got 2.7 percent of the vote nationwide. Nader will be lucky if he gets one percent this year but I doubt that. The Green Party is not behind him that is why he had to form his own party. Several states do not even have him on the ballot because he did not get enough votes to put him in.

Right now, a great chunk of Nader's monetary contributions come from hardcore republicans who say they want a "choice" for this election. That just makes me laugh. Laughing

Anyway, here is an article you might find interesting from the Dallas Morning News

Quote:
GOP donors double dipping with Nader

Contributors deny that financial support is designed to hurt Kerry

10:29 PM CST on Friday, March 26, 2004

By WAYNE SLATER / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN - Independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader is getting a little help from his friends - and from George W. Bush's friends.

Nearly 10 percent of the Nader contributors who have given him at least $250 each have a history of supporting the Republican president, national GOP candidates or the party, according to computer-assisted review of financial records by The Dallas Morning News.

Among the new crop of Nader donors: actor and former Nixon speechwriter Ben Stein, Florida frozen-food magnate Jeno Paulucci and Pennsylvania oil company executive Terrence Jacobs. All have strong ties to the GOP.

Democrats have warned that Mr. Nader's entry in the race could help Mr. Bush by drawing votes from John Kerry. Some analysts say Mr. Nader's third-party candidacy four years ago siphoned off Democratic voters and cost Vice President Al Gore the White House.

"Republicans are well aware that Ralph Nader played a spoiler role in the 2000 election. And there is no reason why they wouldn't want to encourage and help him do so again in 2004," said Jano Cabrera, a spokesman for the Democrat National Committee.

A spokesman for the Bush campaign declined to comment on Mr. Nader.

"We're focused on our campaign. We're focused on generating support for Republican candidates," said Danny Diaz, referring inquiries about Nader fund raising to his donors.

Republicans who have given to Mr. Nader offered a variety of explanations, including a desire to provide voters a choice in November and to highlight the consumer advocate's issues. Some donors said they were miffed by efforts, primarily Democrats, to keep Mr. Nader off the ballot.

None said their donations were designed to boost Mr. Bush's chances in the fall.

"Did I give $1,000 to Ralph Nader because I hope and believe he will be president? No," said California business executive Charles Ashman. "I don't believe that any more than Ralph Nader does. But I was offended to see this campaign to squelch him from being a candidate."

Mr. Ashman said he remains a staunch Republican. He contributed $2,000 to the Bush campaign, the maximum allowed for the general election, according to records.

"I proudly made a contribution to the re-election of President Bush because I support him 100 percent," he said. "I hope and believe he will be re-elected."

'Spoiler' label

Mr. Nader has dismissed the "spoiler" label Democrats have given him, saying he expects this time to draw equally from both parties.

In 2000, Mr. Nader was on the ballot in 43 states and the District of Columbia and got 2.7 percent of the vote nationwide. Experts say he was a deciding factor in two states, Florida and New Hampshire, both of which Mr. Bush won by razor-thin margins.

A Kerry spokesman declined to discuss Mr. Nader.

According to campaign finance reports, Mr. Nader raised $930,000 through February. During the same period, Mr. Bush had raised $158 million and Mr. Kerry $41 million.

More than 24 Nader contributors of $250 or more - about 10 percent of his total - are otherwise reliable GOP donors, The News review found.

Mr. Paulucci, the creator of Chun King and Jeno's Pizza Rolls, donated $2,000 in February to Mr. Nader.

The Florida frozen-food executive is a prolific contributor to the GOP, giving more than $150,000 to the Republican Party and national candidates since 2000.

Mr. Paulucci described himself as a independent and said he also has supported Democrats, including those in his native Minnesota. Most of his money in federal races has gone to Republicans, records show.

Mr. Paulucci said he met Mr. Nader in Minnesota some years ago in connection with a tax issue.

"I saw him on TV. I thought I would give the guy a little bit of encouragement," he said. "I didn't think for a moment that this is going to help Bush. No, that was not my thought."

Ben Stein's money

As for Ben Stein's money, the television personality and outspoken advocate for the Republican Party has contributed $500 to Nader and $1,000 to Mr. Bush this year. Records indicate that over the last decade, Mr. Stein has given exclusively to the GOP.

In the 2000 presidential race, Mr. Stein agreed to make TV ads for Mr. Bush, although they were never aired. He did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Others helping Mr. Nader with $2,000 checks are Robert Monks, who lost a Senate race in Maine, and his wife, Millicent. Both have a long history of contributing money to Republicans and are financially backing Mr. Bush's re-election.

Daniel Hartnett, a self-described conservative who operates a plumbing business in Sioux City, Iowa, said his $250 to Mr. Nader was not meant to help Mr. Bush. He said he agrees with some of Mr. Nader's views.

Four years ago, Mr. Hartnett supported Mr. Bush, and although he hasn't contributed to his re-election this year, that's where his loyalties lie in November.

"I'm a Republican," he said. "If Mr. Bush comes out and takes a good hard conservative stand on a few issues that I care about, I'll probably send him $2,000."

Staff writer Jennifer LaFleur in Dallas contributed to this report

Dallas Morning News Link
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 08:23 am
fairandbalanced wrote:
Actually voting for the third party candidate can make a difference.

Thank you for saying this.

Quote:
So if you lean more to left than to the right and you want to vote for Nader, you must weigh the consequences carefully. Remember that change and progress does not come overnight.

I agree and I have weighed to consequences very carefully.

Quote:

If you really want to change America, you gotta vote Democrat or Green on every local, state, and national election. A left majority in the state and national congress can do a whole lot more to change the country than a Nader win.

I don't completely agree with this, although it is not a bad idea.

It will change America if the informed people with conscience vote according to their principles. If this happens, the parties will be forced to come up with candidates that stand for the values of their base.

Kerry is clearly a mediocre candidate that was chosen for some cynical view of who is "electable". He does not represent my principles and to be honest, I am not sure what he represents.

If progressive voters give Kerry their support, they are virtually ensuring that they will not have a decent candidate for at least 8 years, and probably much more.

It is imperitive that the Democrats stop abandoning their progressive base.

Quote:

If you want a sure Bush defeat in this coming presidential elections, you must vote Kerry. If you want to vote your conscience knowing full well that Nader will not win, then vote for Nader.

I would like Bush to lose in November. A sure Bush defeat seems a bit much to ask.

Having a real progressive voice represented in the Democratic party is, to me at least, much more imporant.

Quote:

Right now, a great chunk of Nader's monetary contributions come from hardcore republicans who say they want a "choice" for this election. That just makes me laugh. Laughing

Anyway, here is an article you might find interesting from the Dallas Morning News

I am independent and this doesn't mean much to me. This type of partisan politics turns me off.

But it seems to say the the Republicans recognize the inherent weakness of the Democratic candidate.

But this the Democrats fault. They shouldn't blame either the Republicans nor Nader.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:30 pm
Sofia wrote:
If a third party candidate breaks 10%, by the next election cycle, there may be a stronger, viable third party, a challenge to the status quo. The change won't take place quickly enough to satisfy some, but it could be the impetus for the real change so many seek.

When is the last time a third party candidate broke 10%? Heck, they're all fighting tooth and nail to get 5% so they can get federal matching funds.

Hasn't happened yet, certainly isn't going to happen this year.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:52 pm
Since I live in Texas my vote doesn't mean squat, and I can vote for whom I like.

One thing to remember, though, is that if Bush gets back in, he packs the Supreme Court with ultra-conservatives, and that means that the neoconservatives control all three branches of government, ala Russia and Putin.
0 Replies