Hillary for Pres.

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:41 pm
Just wondering how many people would vote for this woman if she ran for President.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,488 • Replies: 22
No top replies

L R R Hood

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:08 am
Wow, I can't help but be surprised a little.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:46 am
I thought more people would have an opinion on this Smile Keep the votes coming!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:15 am
No votes eh? I personally would not vote for a female head of state. I believe that in reaching a position where she could contest an election, a woman would have had to completely abandon all those qualities which it forseen a female would bring to the role. Margaret Thatcher being a case in point-she was barely better than a nazi.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:23 am
Interesting Wilso... but why did you say "no votes"?... its 8 to 6.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:53 pm
When I clicked on view results in didn't give me anything.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:59 pm
Actually it depends who is running against her.

By the way, did you hear that there is a uni-party bumper sticker for Hilary Clinton? It says "Run, Hilary, Run!"

Democrats put it on their rear bumper. Republicans put it on their front bumper.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:22 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:29 pm
LOL That's awesome!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:25 am
Wilso wrote:
I personally would not vote for a female head of state. I believe that in reaching a position where she could contest an election, a woman would have had to completely abandon all those qualities which it forseen a female would bring to the role. Margaret Thatcher being a case in point-she was barely better than a nazi.

What utter nonsense. What about Mary Robinson, the idealist former UNHCR Commisioner and President of Ireland? Or Benazir Bhutto, íf not the most scrupulous at least the most beautiful President? What about Corazon Aquino, the first democratic Phillipine President after the despicable Marcos years? Or Gro Harlem Brundtland, the much loved former Norwegian PM? Or Indira Ghandi?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:43 am
Aw, shucks. I think a woman could do a great job as a leader. I would have voted for Elizabeth Dole in a heartbeat and not had any regrets. But I am afraid I just could not ever bring myself to vote for Ms. Clinton. She might do a fine job, but I view her as someone who does things or doesn't do things for expediency's sake. What will best benefit her? What state should she run for congress in that will give her the best national platform?

Now I know all politicians do what is best for them to some extent, but I think she (as did Bill) has it down to too fine an art for my liking.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
I don't know whether either would make a decent president for their supporting side, but I still think a matchup between Condi Rice and Hillary would be entertaining.

I also think Hillary could be one of the strongest candidates the Democrats have put up lately. I agree with CR that her agenda appears to be pretty much 100% self-promotion of Hillary, but she is a difficult person to dislike. I think she could have more appeal than many conservatives want to believe. I would hope 'my side' would have somebody very credible and very good to run against her.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:54 am
Not only do I think a woman president would do a great job, I think she'd do a BETTER job than many men.

The machismo and chest thumping nonsense that's in so many of us men only serves to do more harm than good in most cases. I think a woman president would have a much more level headed approach to a lot of our problems.

As for Hillary in particular, why not? She's never done me any harm, and she has a genuine interest in education, health and womens issues. I respect that.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 09:59 am
I can agree Fox that she would make a formidable candidate. And I also think a Condi Rice vs Hillary Clinton race would be vastly entertaining. So maybe we should start a draft Condi and Hillary campaign once the current fight is over in November.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
She had eight years to do something. She had eight years to make a difference in regards to education, health and women's issues...you know what she did? Nothing.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
McGentrix... I thought she was pushing for the whole socialized medicine thing. No one was buying it, though.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
McGentrix wrote:
She had eight years to do something. She had eight years to make a difference in regards to education, health and women's issues...you know what she did? Nothing.

McG, don't let your hatred toward Hillary blind you to the truth. Your comment sparked my curiosity, so I decided to see exactly how Hillary did "nothing" in the time she's been senator. You might want to reconsider your opinion (or to be more realistic, you might want to read this, find something you don't like and turn it into another attack on the woman Laughing )

Hillary Clinton's accomplishments as a Senator:

First New York Senator to serve on the Senate Armed Services Committee

Worked to secure $21.4 billion in funding to assist clean up and recovery, to provide health tracking for first responders and volunteers at Ground Zero and to create grants for redevelopment.

Led a bipartisan effort to bring next-generation broadband access to rural communities.

Co-sponsored the 21st Century Nanotechnology Research and Development Act.

Introduced an amendment to create jobs by repairing, renovating , and modernizing our schools.

To help displaced workers, Senator Clinton won an extension of Unemployment Insurance that was passed on the first day of the 108th Congress.

Visited American troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Etc....

The Senator has been the recipient of numerous awards:

Claude Pepper Award of the National Association for Home Care,
Martin Luther King, Jr. Award of the Progressive National Baptist Convention,
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Medal,
Servant of Justice Award of the New York City Legal Aid Society,
Eleanor Roosevelt Val-Kill Medal,
Public Spirit Award of the American Legion Auxiliary,
Shalom Chaver Award for International Leadership of the Yitzhak Rabin Center for Israel Studies,
Albert Shanker Award of the New York State United Teachers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
Yeah, but until you see the 'McG Seal of Approval' on that list, she'll still be a crappy politician, who hasn't ever done anything good for anyone and probably eats babies for lunch on thursdays.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
She's been a senator for 8 years already Shocked

I was referring to her vice presidency with Billy. she was in a position to do quite a bit, Instead she hid from the embarrassment provided by her husband.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:55 am
Oh, you were talking about her time as first lady! My mistake, I should have noticed that myself (the 8 years should have smacked me in the face there).

Lunch break is over for me, so if I have the time later maybe I'll look up what she's done in that time, unless someone else does it first.

In any case, as a senator, I'd say "not too shabby". Does this in any way impact on your opinion? or its her time as first lady that matters to you?
0 Replies