heavy features

WBYeats

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:42 am
A measured step was heard upon the stairs, and a moment later a stout, tall, gray-whiskered and solemnly respectable person was ushered into the room. His life history was written in his heavy features and pompous manner. From his spats to his gold-rimmed spectacles he was a Conservative, a churchman, a good citizen, orthodox and conventional to the last degree. But some amazing experience had disturbed his native composure and left its traces in his bristling hair, his flushed, angry cheeks, and his flurried, excited manner. He plunged instantly into his business.
==================

My interpretations:
1. HEAVY FEATURES: face showing signs of being old and dark
2.pompous manner: rash/reckless/impolite in bursting into the room
3.conservative:belonging to that party of the same name
4.orthodox and conventional to the last degree: very law abiding

Are they right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 665 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:16 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
1. HEAVY FEATURES: face showing signs of being old and dark
More like large, protruding, depressed

My Better Half, who is much smarter than I, denies the last

Quote:
2.pompous manner: rash/reckless/impolite in bursting into the room
The last might apply

http://onelook.com/?w=pompous&ls=a

Quote:
3.conservative:belonging to that party of the same name
More likely just traditional

http://onelook.com/?w=conservative&ls=a

0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 02:46 pm
@WBYeats,

"Heavy features" means facial features which are large, lined, old and probably saggy.
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 03:28 pm
@WBYeats,
As McT has pointed out, heavy features simply refer to the physical structure of the face. I would not, however, say that heavy features means that the face looks aged. A good synonym would be coarse features--a large nose, heavy brow, a strong jaw line and a large, protruding chin would qualify as heavy features.

Pompous does not mean rash or reckless, and would only be considered impolite by inference. There is nothing in the passage you provided as context which says that this individual "burst" into the room. It really only means someone whose manner is grand, self-important.

I agree with your number three, because the text (if you have rendered it faithfully) capitalizes Conservative. I infer from that that the character being described can be take to be a member of the political party of the same name.

Orthodox and conventional does not simply refer to someone who is law-abiding. Someone who is orthodox and conventional, for example, might consider it bad form to be gratuitously rude to a stranger. It's not against the law to be rude, but an orthodox, conventional person would deplore that, especially someone who is orthodox and conventional to the last degree--which means orthodox and conventional in every aspect of one's character, and to the full extent of orthodoxy and convention.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 04:04 pm
@McTag,
Yes WB, saggy too
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 07:53 pm
http://barbadosunderground.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/steve_stout.jpg
Maybe with a bit less of a smile.

Joe(look up Dick Cheney)Nation
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 11:48 pm
@WBYeats,

I see you are from China. I cannot imagine an asiatic face as having "heavy" features. That look to me is more from the Mediterranean area, maybe Levantine.
Aristotle Onassis in his later years, there's an example. Ariel Sharon. Sylvester Stallone.
McTag

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 12:15 am
@McTag,

Jack Palance. Lee Marvin.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608017144166744304&pid=15.1
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 05:40 am
Thank you~
0 Replies