Donald Sterling

BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:32 am
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
This isn't abouyt government impeding your right to free specch, its about a private organization with its own rules.

True but it is about the right to own and control property that you had purchase and own for many decades even if the mob had been work up to demand that your ownership rights be taken away due to them not caring for your private opinions that had by no actions of your and by way of the illegal actions of others had became public.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:38 am
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
The NBA is a private organization
Really? Well can we get a refund please for all of the tax dollars that have been used to build stadiums for the NBA to play in? Sacramento has $255 million due.

Quote:
People like Bill and Hawk are seemingly defending this man
Not I, I am defending his right to have and to communicate opinions which others find to be offensive. I will take on his ideas, I will not seek to punish the messenger. It aint civilized behavior.

Quote:
“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.”
― Salman Rushdie
BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye is it not odd that by Buttermilk thinking you must agree with some bigoted and silly statements of Stirling to dare to think that he have every right in the world to maintain both ownership and control of a team he purchase thirty years ago no matter how must of a bigot he is in his private opinions
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:50 am
@BillRM,
Right just like if you live in a nice neighborhood with a home owner's association, I'm sure you have a right to make your lawn look like **** without social repricussions right? Because, you know, it's your property and you have a right to make it look like **** regardless if your house is bringing property value down right?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Like I said nothing is private anymore. If this man wasn't a ******* racist to begin with, and maybe if he didn't practice housing discrimination or racism perhaps he wouldn't have gotten banned.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
is it not odd that by Buttermilk thinking
I doubt that there is much of any thinking going on, this seems like an emotional response born out of fear that Sterlings opinions will make good people go to the dark side. It betrays a lack of confidence in their opinions, because logically if their opinions were sound there would be no need to silence counter arguments.

You and I have talked before about what fear and ignorance have done to this country, this is more of the same.
Buttermilk

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 01:54 am
@hawkeye10,
This has nothing to do with emotion, it has everything to do with someone who was outed by someone who set him up. Supposedly, according to the young woman Sterling is so forgetful that he wants his conversations to be recorded so to keep record and back track on things he has said that he may forget. Looks like it back fired.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 02:07 am
@Buttermilk,
Quote:
everything to do with someone who was outed
In other words he has ideas that are not popular. And for that he gets treated like a terrorist, like someone who is out to maim and kill (often already has) . Think about it, we punish for word choice decisions.

When did we become so pathetically weak? Why do so many weak idiots give other people mouths so much power over them that we feel the need to ruin people who say the "wrong" words?

But we are the bestest humans to ever walk the earth I am told over and over again Drunk
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 02:17 am
@hawkeye10,
I did not know that Black people are so hard up that they cant get by without Donald Sterling liking them.

Their self esteem must be in the crapper.
panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:11 am
I watched the Clippers-Warriors game last night and was struck by the solidarity of the Clippers fans and the NBA players.

The relief on coach Doc River's face was palpable.

When the cameras cut to Magic saying that Commissioner' Silvers had done the right thing for our society and for the NBA I had to agree.

Adam silvers wore his "Big Boy Pants" at the press conference.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:37 am
Quote:
Sacramento Kings Owner Expects Unanimous Vote

Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive anticipates that his fellow NBA owners will vote
unanimously to force Donald Sterling to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.

Commissioner Adam Silver wants Sterling to sell the franchise as part of the extremely stiff
sanctions brought against the NBA's longest-tenured owner in response to racist comments
the league determined he made in a recorded conversation.

Ranadive, who emphatically supported Silver's ruling Tuesday, reiterated his stance the
following morning on ESPN Radio's "Mike and Mike."

"I would be surprised if this was not a unanimous vote," Ranadive said during the interview.
"The owners are amazing people -- they're color-blind -- and I fully expect a unanimous vote."

Silver banned Sterling for life, fined him $2.5 million, and said he will press the other teams
to support his desire to make Sterling sell.

"I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him,'' Silver
said.

While the specific timetable for a vote remains undetermined, sources told ESPN.com's Marc
Stein that the NBA's advisory and finance committee will hold a conference call Thursday to
discuss details, such as when a vote will take place and whether it will be public or private.

"There's still a process that the NBA has to go through," Ranadive said Wednesday. "I expect
that they'll have a sub-committee that examines this issue and takes it to the entire board.

"The commissioner has shown that he can act quickly, so I expect him to continue acting
quickly."

For Sterling to be forced to sell, 75 percent of the teams would have to vote in favor of
such a move. That means if 29 teams vote, Silver would have to get 22 yes votes. If all 30
clubs have a vote, the number needed for passage rises to 23.
(espn)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 10:57 am
so the NBA owners will vote to strip the team and then this goes to the courts for the next decade, or till Silver dies.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 11:03 am
Quote:
Shortly before NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced the league's punitive actions, however, Fox News contributor Jim Gray reported that Sterling had told him he would not sell.
His resolve might waver if, in coming days, at least three-quarters of the league's owners vote to oust him. And if more sponsors follow CarMax and State Farm in severing relations with the team.
"Something dealing with race, you don't recover fully," said David E. Johnson, chief executive of Strategic Vision, an Atlanta branding agency. "As long as he is the owner, the Clippers will never get past that."

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-donald-sterling-next-20140430,0,2787058.story#ixzz30OEYX610

letting the franchise strangle to death would be the most likely path for Silver, a final **** YOU to the guys who stabbed him in the back. What is he going to do with money in the grave anyways, it was always mostly a way to keep score.

The NBA needs to look at ways to kill the franchise if they want an out, they cant force Silver to sell it.
BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 03:27 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
I watched the Clippers-Warriors game last night and was struck by the solidarity of the Clippers fans and the NBA players.

I had read that the same feelings of solidarity was common with the crowds at the hangings of black men in the south.

Too bad they can not allowed to hang Sterling at center court before the game.

Drum up mobs emotions are not a very reliable way to judge right and wrong in any case.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 03:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The NBA needs to look at ways to kill the franchise if they want an out, they cant force Silver to sell it.

That's not true. the NBA only needs 75% of the owners to agree to a sale and it's a done deed.
So far the estimate is that the vote would go 29-0
Do you even read Reeg's posts anymore or do you just pass right over them?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Their self esteem must be in the crapper.

Well...after 250 years of slavery and 100 years of segregation I would think you're right.
Of course that flies right over your head since you're so busy protecting our individual rights to be a bigot.
BillRM

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 04:09 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
you're so busy protecting our individual rights to be a bigot.

Of course protecting the worst sobs among us rights is a duty that need to be done in order to protected all of our rights, whites,blacks,yellow and so on, going forward.

Rights should not be in the hands of the mob even when the mob happen to be agreeing with your feelings toward an old bigot at the moment.

Allowing the seizing of Sterling team and handing it over to someone such as Oprah Winfrey is no more moral then the seizing of some black farmer lands in the south of the 1910s who had gotten on the bad side of the local white power structure.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 05:02 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

This was my first opinion, aidan. I agree with you so far.

Sterling's feelings and what he thought were private comments were disgusting. So what? Since when do we light torches and round people up because of private comments and hateful feelings?

I'm still learning about the laws and NBA constitution. This is a fascinating example of free speech at its most heinous. I'll be watching and reading to see if this is justified or not.

No one is being rounded up and burned at the stake. This isn't an issue of "free speech" the First Amendment protects people from the government punishing or preventing free expression. It doesn't protect people from the economic consequences of their speech.

Sterling isn't being punished by the State for what he said, he is being punished by a private organization that he wished to join, and which required he agree to certain terms if he was allowed to. Anyone with money doesn't get to buy a NBA team.

No matter what anyone thinks about what he said, it has, clearly, had a major impact on the prestige, and therefore finances, of the league. It is in the of all owners, including Sterling, that the league take steps to preserve the value of their investments.

It also doesn't matter that the evidence was obtained illegally. The NBA commissioner is not a judge, his deliberations weren't part of the US justice system. There is no applicable concept of "fruit from the poisoned tree."

If Sterling is thinking the league and his fellow owners are "stabbing him in the back," as has been suggested, he's a naive idiot, and no one becomes a billionaire being a naive idiot in business matters. There's no indication, so far, (by the way) that he believes his "friends" in the NBA have betrayed him, but if he does...tough sh*t.

All the other owners are thinking is "How might this affect me?"

Mark Cuban, the most likely owner to get himself in trouble with his big mouth, initially worried that this would set a precedent that might eventually be used to bite him. The he weighed all the factors and, rightly, figured that his financial and personal interests as a NBA Owner trumped any hypothetical paranoia he might have. He declared himself 100% behind the decision of the Commish.

There is nothing wrong with this picture.

Sterling is, obviously, a strange, possibly demented, bigot. Regardless of how this became known and featured in the public sphere, it did. Whether or not black basketball players and other Americans should care what a demented old bigot thinks or says is also immaterial, they obviously do. If the NBA had followed a suicidal path of arguing that Sterling was entitled to his private opinion, and/or the reaction to that opinion is over-blown, the value of every team in the league would now be plummeting.

Silver's response was superb, and I am quite sure the Owners will unanimously vote to force Sterling to sell.

I have no problem with this.

If you agree to a deal that says you can't wear an orange shirt, don't whine when you get f*cked for wearing an orange shirt.

Two additional points:

I'm no less forgiving of any whiners, arguing that their deal wasn't "fair," and this encompasses a wide variety of situations that liberals would argue otherwise.

What really frosts me on this subject is the Media hounds white and black (mostly sports guys right now) who refuse to stop worrying the bone. "What happens if Sterling refuses to sell and sues? Doc Rivers should resign!" "The Clipper players should force free agency!"

I haven't yet (quite surprisingly) seen Race Hucksters like Sharpton and Jackson enter the fray, but I can only imagine that this has been moving too fast for them.

I do get it that these sports guys have a living to make and pushing a controversial subject improves their earning capacity, but it sickens me to see these clueless clown get all high and mighty on the topic.

This is the sad commentary on the issue: Sanctimony sells, and since there is no shortage of people who embrace sanctimony free of charge, now that it can turn a profit we are doomed to be inundated with it.

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 05:14 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Allowing the seizing of Sterling team and handing it over to someone such as Oprah Winfrey is no more moral then the seizing of some black farmer lands in the south of the 1910s who had gotten on the bad side of the local white power structure.

Bill, I have to ask:
What are you smoking?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2014 05:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
good post...i mostly agree.