Donald Sterling

Sturgis

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:28 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
twitter:
NBC News‏@NBCNews·4 mins
JUST IN: @NBCNews confirms that Donald Sterling has been suspended indefinitely and fined $5M, according to a senior NBA official.

Good! (although I'd be happier if they banned him permanently)
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Or...
Adam Silver issues lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine to Clippers owner Donald Sterling
http://nba.si.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-suspension-fine-adam-silver-clippers/?eref=sihp

from the nba.com site -
NBA BANS CLIPPERS’ STERLING FOR LIFE
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/04/29/the-nbas-decision-on-donald-sterling/?ls=iref:nbahpt3a
BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:41 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Good! (although I'd be happier if they banned him permanently)

If I was him if that is true I would have a hundred of so high power lawyers suing the NBA for every dime they own.

As I do not see any court in the US allowing opinions express in private to be the ground for any manner of punishments under contract laws.

Talk about going down the path of PC base thought controls.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:44 pm
@ossobuco,
This of course is hardly the last of this.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:44 pm
Quote:
NBA bans Clippers owner Sterling for life

Basketball Commissioner Adam Silver slapped Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling with a
lifetime ban from the sport and a $2.5 million fine Tuesday over racist remarks attributed to Sterling.

Silver said the National Basketball Association "will begin immediately" to force Sterling to sell
the team, which he has owned since the 1980s. Sterling admitted it was his voice on the recording,
Silver said.

Before Tuesday's announcement, the head of the league's players association had called for Silver
to hit Sterling with the most severe penalties.

"When a hint of cancer is shown, you have to cut it out immediately, and I feel that's where the
players are today," Kevin Johnson, the former all-star who is the chairman of the National Basketball
Players Association's executive committee, told CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."
(cnn)
BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
My my no hearings and no due process how amazing and I can only hope that Sterling have his lawyers in Federal courts asking for an injunction to be issue.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:05 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My my no hearings and no due process how amazing and I can only hope that Sterling have his lawyers in Federal courts asking for an injunction to be issue.
all of the major leagues need to be careful, they are one supreme court opinion away from losing the ability to act like the soviet politburo.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:09 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

The NBA is not a democracy. The NBA isn't a nonprofit charity. It's a for-profit league. Sterling knew what he was getting into when he invested in the team.

When you're such a high profile individual like Sterling (just ask Mark Cuban. He's always in trouble with the league.) in an entertainment industry (like other entertainment industries) which value morals (or at least the appearance of having proper morals) then he should have been aware that there are always going to be earthquake sized consequences to such self-fulfilled disasters.

Image is everything to the money driven industry.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
The guy is 80, has owned the team for 30 years, he pretty much ran the clock out. Now if he wants to he can tie the league up in the courts till he kicks.....dude used to be known as a good lawyer, prob would enjoy the challange.
BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye I would go to war if I was him beginning with getting an injunction in federal court and perhaps shutting down the team playing right in the middle of the payoffs myself.

After all at 80 years old what is a few hundred millions dollars one way or another to his networth?

Actions being taken base on a private conversation recording that it is likely to be a state and federal crime to had produce in the first place and without due process.

It could be a lot of fun with things like slapping commissioner Sliver personally with a suit for millions for misusing his powers and or going way beyond his powers.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
I remember reading at the time that Marge Schott had a pretty solid piece of ground to take to the courts against MLB, that the league was fortunate that she did not go that way. Maybe now is when the legal framework for professional sports leagues gets a thrashing. It is worth noting that the NCAA is also getting challanged on their ability to run a dictatorship.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:00 pm
@BillRM,
The commish has bloody hands like all the rest of them, he has been a league insider for 20 years. No doubt he is trying to divert attention, but over playing his legal hand is the real danger. Once he decided to go to war with one of the prime builders of the league he took his chances that he would end up in a fight that costs the league big. There is every reason to believe that once the leagues are hauled into the courts that they will lose enormous amounts of their power. The sports leagues could end up like the political parties, still in existance but almost powerless.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:06 pm
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/sports/basketball/nba-donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers.html?_r=0

That tenure began in 1981 when he bought the San Diego Clippers at the encouragement of Jerry Buss, the Lakers’ owner at the time. Sterling had lent financial help, buying some apartment buildings from Buss, when Buss needed money to buy the Los Angeles Lakers and the Forum in 1979. But by 1984 Sterling had made a spectacle of himself by moving his franchise to Los Angeles without league approval.

For that, David Stern, then the N.B.A. commissioner, fined him $25 million. Sterling sued the league for $100 million, prompting Stern to reduce the fine to $6 million.

BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:07 pm
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/sports/basketball/nba-donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers.html?_r=0

Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, was among those cautioning the league to move carefully, calling it “a very, very slippery slope” when owners are disciplined for their words. But, after the decision, Cuban expressed full support of the move.

“What Donald said was wrong,” Cuban told reporters Tuesday. “It was abhorrent. There’s no place for racism in the N.B.A., any business I’m associated with, and I don’t want to be associated with people who have that position. But at the same time that’s a decision I make. I think you’ve got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It’s a very, very slippery slope.”

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:08 pm
@BillRM,
I was not aware Bill......ya, I think it is safe to say that this is war, one that the NBA may well lose. The owners will prob cave, they cant have the NBA power cut by the courts, and if the the commish can cave in to the emotional mob and throw sterling out for any reason he deems worthy then he can do it to any of the rest of them.
BillRM

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
.ya, I think it is safe to say that this is war, one that the NBA may well lose.

Hopefully as no one business/ownership rights should be taken away for not only the content of a private conversation but a conversation that by CA law is illegal to record without both parties permissions.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Tsar
Quote:
The NBA is not a democracy. The NBA isn't a nonprofit charity. It's a for-profit league.

You seem to be ignoring Tsar's point.

Maybe if we substitute MLB and NFL you'll get it.
wiki on Marge
Quote:
She is perhaps most well-known for her controversial behavior during her tenure as owner of the Reds, which included slurs towards African-Americans, Jews, and the Japanese. She was banned from managing the team by the MLB from 1996 through 1998 due to statements in support of German domestic policies of Nazi party leader Adolf Hitler; shortly afterwards, she sold the majority of her share in the team.

If she had solid ground to sue MLB, as a sharp businesswoman, don't you think she'd have done it?

Jim Irsay, owner of Indy Colts. The NFL is working towards divesting him of Colts ownership.
Quote:
A sports law and ethics expert, as well as a source familiar with NFL operations, told The Indianapolis Star that the policy could lead Goodell to also ask about Irsay's relationship and associations outside of the Colts, including with an Indianapolis woman with a drug history of her own — a woman who died of a suspected drug overdose two weeks before Irsay's arrest. Her body was found in a $139,500 townhouse Irsay gave her last August.

Your zeal to champion individual rights sometimes aligns you with some horrible causes from my perspective.
engineer

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:32 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
Your zeal to champion individual rights sometimes aligns you with some horrible causes from my perspective.

But that doesn't make him wrong. This was a private conversation in the man's home. The comments are repugnant, but if I held repugnant views, I would hope that my loved ones would challenge me in the privacy of my home, attempt to get me to change my views and NOT PUBLISH THE CONVERSATION ON THE INTERNET. If Sterling had done this in the workplace, at a public forum, at an NBA game, etc. I'd be more likely to support the ban. I don't understand by what authority the NBA has acted. Does a person associated with the NBA give up the right to speak freely in his own home?
Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:38 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:

Magic's discretions has nothing to do with him contacting HIV.

Are you aware of what you've just written? What's wrong with the above statement?

(:
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 02:43 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Two lawyers repeat lawyers are the ones who authenticated the audio recordings!!!!!!!!
Bullshit on top of bullshit

Lawyers..."hefer dust" as they say in Chicago! My first day in law school, a guy had his laptop stolen. The second day in law school, another guy/gal had his/her contracts book stolen.

I'm surprise that no student (as far as I know ) had his/her underwear stolen on the 3rd day! Smile