Donald Sterling

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 09:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Mr Sterling is prohibited from any connection with the team. It's up to Mr Silver and the other owners of teams in the NBA.

If the players refuse to play, and the fans refuse to attend any games, that franchise is essentially kaput!

" if they can do it to you then they can do it to me"

Do you really think that the owners want to see sterling suffer that fate, or to face $1 billion in liability when sterling sues them?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 09:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Come to think of it the sterlings might be collecting offers right now only to peg liability when they go afer the NBA. I still strongly believe that the NBA is likely topay big for Silver going off half cocked.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 09:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't really know; it's only my opinion about an option.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 27 May, 2014 10:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
If the players refuse to play, and the fans refuse to attend any games, that franchise is essentially kaput!

Neither event would have a chance in hell of happening as I said short term outrage even when there is damn little to be outrage over is not hard to drum up but not long term outrage that would harm the team gate receipts or result in over paid athletes turning their back on millions of dollars a year careers and if they did so there are a lot of damn good college level players that did not made the cut that would jump at the chance of having that kind of a career.

Second in a conversation that he have every damn right to assume was private Sterling to a mistress stated he did not wish her to be publicly photograph in the company of black men although she was free to have any private relationship she would care to have with them.

He did not use racist slurs of any kind and to me this is no where near the level to justify the taking of his team away from him.

The last I read public polls are swinging in his direction as a matter of fact.

Quote:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/05/11/polls-show-support-shifting-towards-sterling-and-against-silver-as-public-support-for-free-speech/

NBA commissioner Adam Silver does not have the majority of people behind him any more.

Shortly after the commissioner announced his penalties for the racist comments made by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling that were illegally taped and released to the public, everyone seemed to be supporting Silver.

TNT’s “The Inside the NBA” crew of Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Shaquille O’Neal applauded Silver’s decision to ban Sterling from the league for life, and every NBA owner supported the commissioner. NBA legend and Los Angeles Dodgers minority owner Magic Johnson tweeted: “Commissioner Silver showed great leadership in banning LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life. The public at large also was behind Silver. “On May 2nd, the New York Times jumped out of the gate with a poll that showed 54% felt Sterling’s punishment was acceptable.

But then the polling results began to shift in a big way. A CNN/ORC International poll released on May 5th showed that 47% of the public supported a forced sale of the team, while 50% were against it. Also on May 5th, a Rasmussen poll showed that only 38% believe Sterling should be forced to sell the Clippers. This running poll by HLN has 57% backing Sterling.

I do not think people have softened on how racist Sterling’s remarks were. I think they have started to realize what, exactly, Silver is proposing: the forced sale of private property solely because of an illegally taped conversation made in the privacy of the person’s home. And I do not believe most Americans want to live in that type of society.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 10:14 am
@BillRM,
You're guessing like I am. If this is prolonged, we'll see what actually happens.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 11:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're guessing like I am. If this is prolonged, we'll see what actually happens.

Being a sick old man with seemly no strength to fight this silliness he is likely just to take the money and walk away.

Given there will now be a legal precedent that should you as an owner ever be found to had issue a non-PC statement in your life your investment can be place at risk I wonder if eager buyers for NBA teams will be as common in the future as in the past.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 11:47 am
@BillRM,
The NBA will handle them as they arise.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 11:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The NBA will handle them as they arise.

LOL I wonder how many people will be willing going forward to write checks in the hundreds of millions under those terms?

Bet every NBA owner is now running through his mind every statements and actions he had taken in his life fearing that something could be found to be used as a similar weapon against him.

Silver had placed them all in an interesting corner and finding some excused to removed him would be on the top of my to do list as an owner.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 12:20 pm
@BillRM,
Is that how you live your life? FEAR~! You sound like a conservative. How many committees do you want investigating the NBA? LOL
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 12:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Is that how you live your life? FEAR~! You sound like a conservative. How many committees do you want investigating the NBA?

I am all for taking reasonable risks but somehow writing a check in the sum of 100s of millions for a team that could be taken away due to some comment or posting I have even forgotten about seems off hand insane.

Far more insane then taking a flying go-cart [ultra-light ] to 10,000 feet or jumping our of a perfectly good plane for that matter.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 12:55 pm
@BillRM,
Tell that to the players of the Clippers, their fans, and Mr Silver.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Tell that to the players of the Clippers, their fans, and Mr Silver.

Tell what to Silver that he should be fired for misusing his powers?

Or what do you wish me to tell the fans that are by the polls at least 50/50 divided at the insane level of punishment given? How about the old saying that the person who should throw the first rock should be the person without sin.

As far as the players are concern I would tell them that they have some damn nerves to demand that their employer sell his business to made them happy.

Or that they should have some say. if Stirling is force out as who the new owner can be or can not be for that matter is outrageous.

It is highly unlikely that many of the players have the skills sets to do more then minimum wages jobs off the basketball courts that Stirling and the other owners had provided at a costs of billions of dollars.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 02:05 pm
@BillRM,
Tell Silver anything you want! Old sayings about sins has no bearing on this issue.

BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 02:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
ld sayings about sins has no bearing on this issue.

Oh so you would have no problem in being judge on all your private statements you had made over your lifetime and then punish as harshly as Sterling is being punish for any non PC comments?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 02:35 pm
@BillRM,
How do you jump from "no bearing on this issue," to
Quote:
Oh so you would have no problem in being judge on all your private statements you had made over your lifetime and then punish as harshly as Sterling is being punish for any non PC comments?

No relationship; NONE, ZILCH, NADA.
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wrong it is very connected as you and others wish to cause harms to Mr. Sterling for not meeting a standard that no person born of woman could meet at least in my opinion.

That to set up a legal precedent that can and likely will bit other owners in the future is the height of stupidity and bad judgments by the other owners and very unfair to Sterling.

It is all connected.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 03:17 pm
@BillRM,
There's nothing I can do to Mr Sterling. I have absolutely no connection to how this all plays out; I offer only my personal opinions.

Quote:
NBA team owners applaud Adam Silver's decision | For The ...
ftw.usatoday.com/.../nba-team-owners-applaud-adam-silvers-...
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 03:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are supporting by your public taken positions the actions of the NBA.

How must influence or how little influence either your or my positions on this issue may have is beside the point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 May, 2014 03:33 pm
@BillRM,
That's true. Why then are you trying to assign blame to me from my opinions?
You wrote,
Quote:
How must influence or how little influence either your or my positions on this issue may have is beside the point.

That is the point! I have NO INFLUENCE.

This is all the support Mr Silver requires. From the LA Times.
Quote:
NBA owners overwhelmingly support Adam Silver's decision
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 04:15 pm
Some new news -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140529/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-sale-meeting-wife-nba/?eref=sihp

Tuesday's NBA owners meeting, in which a vote to oust Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling was set to take place in New York City, may not happen after all.
According to sources, if Sterling presents the NBA with a completed agreement to sell the Clippers before Tuesday's meeting, and if the NBA has a "favorable impression" of both the dollar amount and the incoming owners, the league would postpone the hearing until it can formally vet the purchase, sale agreement and pending owners. If the NBA later approves the transaction, the Clippers would be sold and Sterling, along with his wife and co-owner, Shelly Sterling, would no longer have any affiliation with the NBA.

Sources tell SI.com that the NBA's top priority is for ownership to be transferred, and the league would welcome the exchange occurring voluntarily. A voluntary transfer would avert a potentially contentious hearing next Tuesday and, more importantly, avert the potential of Sterling filing a costly and lengthy lawsuit against the NBA and its owners.

More paragraphs at the link.