Donald Sterling

BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And so what? Steve Jobs was by all accounts a consummate asshole, should he have been thus deprived of running Apple? Should we have been deprived of his contributions to technology?

Going back a few generations Henry Ford was an out and out anti-Semitic and even publish a newspaper to promote those views.
panzade

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 01:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Steve Jobs was by all accounts a consummate asshole,

I don't know. Never met him.

Who says we would have been deprived of technology if we'd outed him for being an asshole?
Wait.

You don't see the difference between Sterling and Jobs?
panzade

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:01 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Going back a few generations Henry Ford was an out and out anti-Semitic and even publish a newspaper to promote those views.

Oh yeah. I forgot about Ford.
Well, that exonerates Sterling.

IT'S 2014 YOU SCHMUCK!
BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:06 pm
@panzade,
So human nature had change from the 1930s to 2014 to the point that we should now ban any mover and shaker from the control of businesses not due to his actions but due to his private repeat private opinions?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:16 pm
@BillRM,
I guess the old boy is too stupid or behind the times to realize nothing is private now.

Too bad for him.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:16 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

IT'S 2014 YOU SCHMUCK!

that covers it in so many ways
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:17 pm
@BillRM,
You really have low standards in who can be determined as a mover and shaker?!

The NBA is a multibillion dollar industry where because their business is determined by how they are perceived by the general public, they have morality clauses for all of the players. So they owners probably have them as well in conditions for being in the league. They shouldn't be exempt from that kind of disciplinary action.
BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
So you think that someone putting up hundreds of millions of dollars would agree to a contract that it someone does not care for their morals they would lost their ownership rights!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I guess the old boy is too stupid or behind the times to realize nothing is private now.

Too bad that a great many states do not agree with the above statement and people had found themselves behind bars for breaking the privacy of a conversation by secretly recording it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:36 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
You don't see the difference between Sterling and Jobs?
it appears that Sterling is more civil company, Jobs tended to berate and humiliate people, where does sterling act this way? According to me everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs, it is only their actions that I care about, and I rarely consider speech to be an action. Let everyone think and speak at will, judge actions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
good point
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:51 pm
@Buttermilk,
I'm sorry for the current players in all this, as boycotting, to me clearly warranted, is a dismal environment to play in the middle of. (Yes, I did read they did a pregame message as a team). Oh, and coach Rivers.

Mmm, I bet Rivers has a lot of opinions.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm sorry for the current players in all this, as boycotting, to me clearly warranted, is a dismal environment to play in the middle of. (Yes, I did read they did a pregame message as a team). Oh, and coach Rivers.

Mmm, I bet Rivers has a lot of opinions.

there are calls for the players to refuse to play, not sure what sabotaging their opportunity to win a championship is going to accomplish but the claim is that the optics would be good.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 02:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'd like (I think) the players to play on and win best they can.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 03:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
there are calls for the players to refuse to play

They're in a tough position.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:11 pm
Ooooh.. Magic said to want to buy Clippers.
http://nba.si.com/2014/04/28/magic-johnson-los-angeles-clippers-donald-sterling/?eref=sihp
BillRM

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Ooooh.. Magic said to want to buy Clippers

So let me see the woman who it just happen to be magic friend released a tape that would both drive the price of the team down and put great pressure on the current owner to sell.

If Magic had wished to buy that team he is a very lucky man indeed.
Buttermilk

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Coach Rivers handled this situation with class despite the recent issues.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:49 pm
@BillRM,
Has anyone ever been allowed to own parts of a MLB team as well as a NBA team? Besides, with a net worth of only 500 million I doubt he has more than 10 million not locked up in his businesses. Forbes has the Clippers valued at $575 million.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2014 04:51 pm
@BillRM,
You're not too bright, then again, the fact that you assumed "minority" means black is not surprising. Magic and this woman "aren't friends" in the sense that your posts are intelligent. She took a picture with this man and posted it on Instagram which may be that they (Magic and this mistress) are associates via Sterling.