Donald Sterling

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
The argument goes that the featherbedding of blacks that took place for political reasons went kaboom when globalization happened. Now it is produce or leave.

I am still evaluating this theory, but it sounds right. I remember during the 70's seeing a lot of thoroughly incompetent blacks on jobs in Chicago, now I have a compelling argument for how that happened.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, it was before that in LA. I'm thinking somewhere in the sixties but I'd have to noodle around.

Produce or leave? What a song.

I just quickly looked up when Douglas Aircraft closed and google gives me Boeing links. I could look further and will.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
California was already becoming an expensive state to do business in, it would make sense that excess black workers were shed there earlier than in the rest of the nation.

IDK, all this a theory for me at this point, I am not claiming it as fact.
firefly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 07:55 pm
Quote:
May 03, 2014
NBA to appoint CEO to run Clippers following Donald Sterling’s lifetime ban
By Ben Golliver

The NBA announced Saturday that a new CEO will be appointed to lead the Clippers in an attempt to fill the void created by commissioner Adam Silver’s lifetime ban of Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who was caught on tape making a series of racist remarks.

The new executive, who has not yet been named, will be tasked with “supervising the team’s operations,” according to a press statement. USA Today Sports reports that longtime Clippers president Andy Roeser will remain with the organization “for now” and that he and the rest of the organization will report to the new boss.

“The best way to ensure the stability of the team during this difficult situation is to move quickly and install a CEO to oversee the Clippers organization,” a league spokesman said. “The process of identifying that individual is underway.”

Sterling, 80, has owned the Clippers for 33 years. Last week, TMZ released audio of a conversation in which Sterling can allegedly be heard scolding V. Stiviano, his girlfriend, for bringing African-Americans to Clippers games and for posting photos of herself and African-Americans, including Lakers legend Magic Johnson, to her Instagram account. On Tuesday, Silver fined Sterling $2.5 million and banned him from attending NBA games, practices, the Clippers’ facilities, and all personnel decisions. Two days later, the NBA’s 10-member advisory/finance committee voted unanimously to pursue Silver’s plan to oust Sterling and complete an ownership change.

A three-quarters majority vote of the league’s owners — 22 out of the other 29 owners — is required to force out Sterling. Kings owner Vivek Ranadive said he expects unanimous support from the NBA owners to oust Sterling.

Considering how quickly things have moved over the last week, it’s no real surprise that the NBA would seek to add some immediate stability while the ownership transfer process runs its course.

read more here...
http://nba.si.com/2014/05/03/donald-sterling-nba-clippers-ceo/

BillRM

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:10 pm
@firefly,
An we all can start being on the watch for the first injunction to stop this stealing of a team.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
All of this is rather personal to me -
my in-laws lived two blocks from Budlong and Normandy in '92, were home that day. My ex was a kid playing baseball in Watts the day that all that started. So, not exactly personal, I wasn't there, but their experiences are part of me. They were/are white. The parents were very churchy. That was where they lived and never got attacked (ok, once, some clowns who didn't know them). Both boys got around by bicycle, sometimes well after midnight. That was a decimated area when the jobs pulled out.

Business? Is that all you care about?

Arguing from where I am. I can't stand Sterling, but even more I'm annoyed by the mishugana V claiming he is not a racist since he is so old and has old ways. (no link). The wife, more trouble. I'm no analyst of LA racial/ethnic attitudes taken by some website, but plenty of older people there have room for others.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Shed? Most of those people tried to keep living.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:33 pm
Quote:

Can Donald Sterling best thorough NBA constitution?
Jeff Zillgitt,
USA TODAY Sports
May 2, 2014

The NBA's Constitution and Bylaws is 79 pages and alternately boring and fascinating in language crafted by lawyers.

The document is littered with "thereofs" and "shalls" and "including but not limited tos" and "therebys" and "herebys" and "directly or indirectlys" and "bindings."

It is not only an important charter for owners but for NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, too. Silver is using to guide him in his mission to terminate Donald Sterling's ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers and force him to sell the team.

The document was not made public until Tuesday, when Silver banned Sterling for life, fined him $2.5 million and invoked a constitutional article which allows the NBA to kick Sterling out its exclusive club.

The articles in the constitution spell out how NBA can terminate Sterling's ownership, the procedure for terminating his ownership and what recourse an owner has in such a situation, among other items, including the transfer of ownership.

This is an extremely complex case for Silver, other owners, the NBA's team of lawyers and Sterling.

If three-fourths of the NBA's owners vote to terminate Sterling's ownership, article 14(j) under 'Procedure for Termination' in the NBA's constitution states, "The decisions of the Association made in accordance with the foregoing procedure shall be final, binding, and conclusive, and each Member and Owner waives any and all recourse to any court of law to review any such decision."

That doesn't prevent Sterling from going to court, but the clause "does set up a barrier to Sterling successfully challenging a decision by the owners to strip him of his team, but I don't think it means we won't see litigation," Toledo law professor and sports law expert Geoffrey Rapp said.

There is no indication yet what Sterling will do, and his attorney, Robert Platt, has offered no comment when asked.

It is not yet known if Sterling has even received a written notice of the Constitutional violation the league alleges he has committed. Article 13(a) states an owner may be terminated if he or she "willfully violates any provisions of the constitution ... or agreements of the Association."

While no article in the NBA's constitution addresses the Sterling incident specifically – racially insensitive comments he made in a recorded conversation — Article 13(d) is a catch-all violation.

That article states an owner's may be terminated if the person fails or refuses "to fulfill its contractual obligations to the Association, its Members, Players, or any other third party in such a way as to affect the Association or its Members adversely."

Article 24 in the NBA's constitution also lists the authorities and duties of the commissioner. Silver is charged with "protecting the integrity of the game of professional basketball and preserving public confidence in the League," the article says.

That gives Silver broad authority. He has the right to make decisions in the best interests of the league in situations not covered by the Constitution and By-Laws, including coming down with penalties such as his lifetime ban of Sterling. Silver wouldn't have taken such a bold and unprecedented step if he and lawyers didn't believe their case against Sterling is solid.

Once Sterling receives the charges in writing from Silver, he has five days to respond. After Sterling responds, the Board of Governors will hold a special meeting within 10 days of that response.

Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, the chairman of the Board of Governors, will preside over the meeting. Sterling is entitled to counsel, but the league constitution states, "Strict rules of evidence shall not apply, and all relevant and material evidence submitted prior to and at the hearing may be received and considered of the charge or charges he is accused."

Then, the board will vote and it requires three-fourths of the vote to terminate Sterling's ownership and force him to sell the team. There is a strong sense Sterling will take this to court, and there will not be a speedy resolution.

Outside of going to court, Sterling's options may be limited. Transferring his ownership to this wife or another family matter is not easy. Article 5 covers transfers and 5(f) states, "A transfer shall only become effective if approved by the affirmative vote of not less than three-fourths of all Governors at a meeting duly called for such purpose."

The NBA crafted a constitution to cover a range of issues, both specific and not specific, and used language to protect itself when serious issues arise.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/05/02/donald-sterling-lifetime-ban-constitution-bylaws-owners-los-angeles-clippers-forced-sale/8626843/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Non sequitor
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:57 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose that sounds like cred asking but my reaction about that was that it was so surprising to me, that I dare bring my niece up - oh, in my own thread.

I'll agree I babble, get over it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 08:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

An he have rights under property and partnership laws and whether those rights can be taken away due to a private conversation is also a matter of laws.

Of course, but he accepted the dilution of those rights as a condition of being allowed to buy an NBA team. Everyone doesn't have the right to buy an NBA team. (Although I expect this statement will come under fire the first time the NBA attempts to deny a bid for a team from someone who doesn't meet it's criteria for ownership, but happens to be black). Sterling knew full what the terms were when he bought the Clippers. Whether or not he intends to honor them remains to be seen. You seem to be of the opinion that he should not.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 09:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Let me remind you of what you wrote:

Quote:
He has as much right to an opinion
as anyone else. He has as much right to express
his opinions in private conversations as anyone else.

Where in this comment is there any reference to his property being taken?

My comments, which you quoted, were in response to what you wrote, not what you know want to discuss. How you can come to the conclusion that I believe in a moral right to steal is far beyond me.

In any case, if Sterling is compelled, by the owners, to sell the Clippers he will not have had anything stolen from him.

I really can't believe this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

If you buys a house in a community wherein there are Homeowner Association rules concerning the use of the purchased property, as long as these rules are presented to you at the time of purchase and you agree to abide by them as a condition of purchase, the law (as has been demonstrated over and over) will find in favor of the Association if you later violate any of the rules.

As you wrote, Sterling has a right to his opinion, but that right was voluntarily limited as a condition of his purchasing the team. The NBA, in accordance with the terms of their agreement with him, are punishing him for his expressed opinion, not the government, not society, and not the so-called "mob."

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 09:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think he may mean the tape, but it was Sterling's wife's lawyers who demanded the tapes, or so I read.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 12:59 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think he may mean the tape, but it was Sterling's wife's lawyers who demanded the tapes, or so I read.
we already know which side the wife takes re the whore girlfriend, and I suspect we know which side she will take re the NBA.
Buttermilk

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:07 am
@BillRM,
Ugh man you are the worst reader on the internet. This man has practiced racism way before this incident. NAACP? You act like they're a relevant resource in displaying how "non-racist" Sterling is. Sterling was a donator to their organization. Money talks. bullshit walks. I mentioned him cheating because Sterling is married. If Sterling wasn't messing with a gold digger he wouldn't be in this mess. This is called common sense. I understand you don't understand the concept of common sense but I suggest googling the term and reading up on it.
Buttermilk

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:14 am
@BillRM,
Why do white people have the need to always mention Jackson and Sharpton as if these two individuals speak for me? Never met these two and I can give a rat's ass about. Jackson and Sharpton are as relevant to me as a forrest fire in the middle of Russia. I'm well aware of slective outrage within the African-American community, but the fact of the matter is Sterling (not Stirling) is a racist and your argument to defend him is failing miserably...

BTW it's NAACP not NACCP..unless you're trying to be funny here.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 04:18 am
@hawkeye10,
Your comments here is the reason why you are certifiably an ass....Please by all means, keep shooting yourself in the foot.
BillRM

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:03 am
@Buttermilk,
You mention that he is supposed to have and likely to have a sexual relationship with the lady to somehow throw dirt on him but of course the Rev. King was also married and far far from what you would call a faithful husband so we should judge the good Rev on that standard and do away with his national holiday due to some sexual fun and games he had enjoyed in his lifetime?

On the whole people should be judge by their public actions not their most private actions as few men are saints.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:35 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

... which side the wife takes re the whore girlfriend...

First of all the "girlfriend" 's name is Ms Perez. So why not call her by the name her mother and father actually gave her?

Next, hawkeye you're beginning to sound like a dried- up old racist (and sexist)! Ms. Perez was/is a paid assistant to Mr. Sterling, and she has stated that she and Mr Sterling have never had sex.

I suspect you're a bit jealous of Mr Sterling and merely wish with all your aged and wrinkled heart that you could afford a "jump in the hay" with a BABE, the likes of Ms. Perez.
panzade

Reply Sun 4 May, 2014 08:38 am
@Miller,
Very Happy
0 Replies