Juche -- have you ever heard/read this word?

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:24 pm
The Juche Idea means, in a few words, that the owner of the revolution and construction are the masses. (This sentence is from that evil Kim Ii Sung)

Razz
-------------------------------
Only one of the English-Chinese dictionaries in my hand defines the word as "independence".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 489 • Replies: 3
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 06:08 am
I dare to bet you none of you have seen this eerie word. Razz
0 Replies

Eos

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:34 pm
No, I hadn't seen it. It looks like it's still in the very early stages of moving into the English language - you won't find it in any English dictionaries yet. But you can find definitions of it in English online -

JUCHE is a philosophical idea that man is the master of everything and decides everything. In other words, the idea that man is the master of the world and his own destiny. It is said that this idea was rooted in Baekdu Mountain which symbolizes the spirit of the Korean people.

I wouldn't expect this word to make a lot of headway in the language (unless North Korea starts a war based on this philosophy). Korean philosophical ideas are genarally not high on the average English-speaker's interest list.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:18 pm
Men are created equal. But Jim acted and and now his son acts as an absolutely dictator. Juche idea has been a tool to cheating NK people.
0 Replies