Unfit for Office

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:46 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
Gee, that's the same joke Jon Stewart told on "The Daily Show." Plagerizing your humor again?

A friend of mine was using that joke at least ten years ago. I don't watch "The Daily Show."

John Webb wrote:
[quote="McGentrix"]So what would qualify Kerry to be president? What has he done to qualify himself?

Easy. He is not named George W. Bush, nor Adolph Hitler. Laughing [/b]

Some of these people would look at Beelzebub himself as preferable to President Bush. It's like a major portion of the Democrat party has become mindless zombies.

What's the difference between the two?[/quote]

Beelzebub has demonstrated time and again that he is articulate and intelligent.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:54 pm
Plus, he's not likely to invoke God to justify such dubious endeavors as pre-emptive war...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:00 pm
It's the Devil's job to fool you so he has to be smart (although not really metaphysical). It is necessary for those in power to convince those who don't have power that they have a choice. That's Machiavelli (well, and also quoted in the script of "The Matrix Reloaded" which is after all, about those in power controlling the masses -- albeit done before and better in "1984".)

The joke was all over the media the next day after Jon Stewart used it despite the fact that one might give credit to some friend who may have uttered it
ten years ago. My, in what context? If your memory is that good, surely you can answer that question. If not, make something up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:04 pm
Bush is a One-Step miracle, don't you know, D'artagnan. He's got faith, so much so that he is willing to do anything he might suspect is wrong and will attribute it not to his will but the will of God.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 03:02 pm
Quote:
At no time did John Kerry state he had personally witnessed or participated in war crimes.

Those statements are still available on tape, and people have been listening to them and extracting interesting statements. I've heard one Kerry quote where he said that even he had committed atrocities. I'm not sure if that would be considered "war crimes" or not. In the sound bite I heard he didn't specify what he had done.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 03:20 pm
Cite?

Again, I encourage you to follow the link to Piffka's full post. It's very informative.

Better link:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=584203#584203

Another quote:

Quote:
Beyond that BIG LIE though, I am astounded that anti-Kerryites have said that these soldiers "should have told the authorities" when, in fact, that is just what they were doing during the Winter Soldier investigations. I first heard that anti-Viet Nam vet "slant" on a talk-radio show a few weeks ago and immediately saw it's bogus logic.

The new Catch-22 slant goes like this:

The Viet Nam vets were liars when they reported these attrocities.
Why didn't they report these attrocities? They should have.
But they were liars when the reported this.
They were supposed to report it. They could be held for crimes if they didn't report these lying attrocities.
But when they reported it, they were liars.
ad nauseum

Do you actually think that no atrocities were committed by American soldiers, at all? If your answer is yes, why is it so hard to believe that Kerry -- in a position that was specifically intended to gather those stories -- would have heard them? And if your answer is no, well, again from Piffka's post:

Quote:
Btw, following the Winter Soldier Investigations, over 75 soldiers were tried and convicted of war crimes. This group's efforts to document such testimony followed the well-known 1968 massacre of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. By the 1971 VVAW hearings, the trial of Lt. William L. Calley by the Army was planned. (He was convicted in March 1971.)
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 03:55 pm
Yes, this single unsubstantiated claim casts doubt upon Kerry's long list of military credentials from his voluntary service in the vietnam war; especially when compared to George Bush and his courageous stint (also voluntary) in the vaunted National Guard in war-torn Alabama. Just like to put things in context.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:11 pm
Before an article is readied for publication at a newspaper, editors squabble over something called the pull-quote (also known variously as the billboard, or teaser, or blurb). Boxed off, printed in a larger font, the pull-quote is a typographical device that calls attention to a compelling passage in a piece, or highlights the underlying theme. It's standard practice -- ie, journalistic ethics -- to "pull" the passage verbatim from the article, and to put quote marks around it if it is in fact a direct quotation.

Unfortunately, at The Wall Street Journal, standard practice went down the toilet with the pull-quote the newspaper employed in the op-ed article by outspoken Kerry critic (and Vietnam veteran) John O'Neill.

Here's the pull-quote verbatim:

Quote:
'I was on Mr. Kerry's boat in Vietnam. He doesn't deserve to be commander in chief.'

I understand the appeal that passage has to an editor. It's a memorable quote.

It would be even more memorable if it were something O'Neill wrote.

But it isn't. Those words are nowhere to be found in the accompanying article.

What O'Neill does write is that, while he was "on" the same boat that Kerry commanded, he wasn't there when Kerry was. As he makes clear, he in fact was shipped in to succeed Kerry as commander of the boat once Kerry was removed from the combat zone.

Without verification (and that's impossible, since this is a subjective judgment anyway), inferences such as these...

Tarantulas wrote:
When Kerry left, his crew probaby stayed on the same boat under the new commander. The new commander had the opportunity to observe his men and other men.

...don't pass muster in light of Kerry's stellar evaluations by his superiors, and the stories of the men whose lives he saved.

Additionally, while it's safe to conclude that John O'Neill isn't going to be voting for John Kerry, at no point in the article does he write the words, "he doesn't deserve to be commander in chief." He writes some other words, words that sort of mean the same thing, but to quote exactly what he did write would not be as provocative.

So instead they quoted John O'Neill as saying something he did not actually say.

The WSJ's ethical lapse aside, I continue to be simply delighted at the fact that George Bush's lickspittles keep bringing up Kerry's service records in comparison to the President's valiant fight against tooth decay in Alabama.

They seem to be too stupid to stop doing so, and the distinction is winning them no converts.

But y'all keep on, please. It's working real good. Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:21 pm
Maybe O'Neill presumes to be lily white and should be considered to be Commander-in-Chief. There simply aren't any perfect people on this planet and passing judgements is a national passtime. I'm not willing to assume O'Neill has no buggers up his
nose and no axe to grind.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:30 pm
!
I recently saw the debate between the two. J. O'Neil was a real azzhole then and I notice that he still is! Just another bootlickin', boot clickin' Right Wing jerk-off!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:40 pm
Navy Veterans Fire On KerryLink
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 08:18 pm
http://members.aol.com/tdubyaa/images/accompliced.gif
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:34 pm
PDiddie wrote:
http://members.aol.com/tdubyaa/images/accompliced.gif

I see that PDiddie gained so sense of proportion, let alone propriety, since leaving Abuzz.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:32 am
and I see your sense of humor is intact Finn. :wink:

How lovely of you to drop by. Welcome.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:38 am
In 1968-70 I worked in the Flag Office of the Commander Amphibious Forces Pacific (COMPHBPAC). Anyone who questions the bravery of any of the sailors that manned the swift boats on the Delta have not got their heads on straight but have a simple political agenda. While I was not in the Navy I was in close contact with the Admiral and his staff.

This reminds me of why Ollie North did not win his race of the GOP senate seat in Virginia. He accused Senator Robb of being a "ceremonial marine". Forgetting or overlooking his two tours in country and his bravery in calling in air support on his own position to save some downed Navy pilots. Well as a result North did not even carry Stafford County where he lived and where the Quantico Marine base is located. All Ollie did by misstating the facts about a fellow Marine was to inflame those Marines who have honor and understand what a real Marine is.

Anyone who has ever been to the Wall in D.C. will see most of the dead are from the "Brown Water Navy". A good book about the subject written by Admiral Elmo Zumwalt is quite informative about what went on as he was the in country Commander. What is interested in his book written in the late 70s is that he predicted the type of wars we are fighting now.

Another great place to visit in D.C., and it is open to the public though they rarely visit, is the Naval Medical Command Medal of Honor Hall. It is decorated with the pictures of Navy Corpsmen who have been awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor Posthumously. They were killed in the company of Marines and Navy amphibious forces.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:51 am
The Brown Water Navy In Vietnam

Sailors In Country Vietnam
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 04:54 am
[quote="Lightwizard"]There simply aren't any perfect people on this planet and passing judgements is a national passtime. [/quote]

I can think of one ..... but my tremendous modesty prevents me naming him.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:15 am
I say put John Stewart in as a write-in candidate. He probably has no idea how to run the country, but it seems no legitimate candidate does either, but Stewart could keep the nation laughing while it combusts Nero-like in flames.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:19 am
The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
0 Replies