proof reading - right place?

axi

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:59 am
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I have to do a description of my car for a british buyer. as i last wrote english in school (long time ago) i would appreciate it very much if you could control the text, and tell me wether there are any typical english expressions by wich i can recommend my car to the potential buyer.

many thanks

axi

The car is blue met with blue seats and mountings in different grey-shades.

The present condition is accident-free and very good. It is our family car, we drive with 2 small children so we don't smoke in the car. We regularly make necessary services and maintenance repairs at the authorised fiat dealer. Nevertheless it is a used car, and so the lower part of the left rearview mirror has a small fissure and two or three of the minor plastic parts (i.e. access cover of the boot). None of these flaws affects the cars function.

The car has the standard equipment of the type JTD 105 SX and the following extras: summer and winter tyres on rims and a car radio (Philips ARC395RDS) with the matching 6 discs cd changer. The volume-down button is broken, but you can still quiet it down.

As for the pics, I have to ask someone to come and take them for me, as I have no digital camera. You will receive them as soon as possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 857 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Jer

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:49 pm
Axi,

Welcome to A2K. I rewrote your sales blurb. If you like it great. If not, I'm sure someone else will do it too Wink

Have a great day.

-Jer-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fiat JTD 105 SX

Colour: Exterior - Metallic Blue / Interior - Blue/Grey

Very good condition with no accidents. Non-smoking car regularly serviced by the Fiat dealer.

The car includes all the JTD 105 SX standard features and the following extras:

-Summer tyres on rims
-Winter tyres on rims
-Phillips Stereo with matching 6-disc CD changer (ARC395RDS)

Note that the lower portion of left side mirror has a small crack and there are two or three minor scuffs on plastic surfaces. It truly is in very good condition.

It's been a great daily driver for us. I don't have pictures of the car yet, but I'll have them taken as soon as possible and will forward them to you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

axi

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:06 pm
thank you jer for your great help, this one really sounds different Wink

i'm quite happy having found an english speaking forum, this way i can brush up my written english
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 08:30 pm
Welcome to A2K, axi. Jer's rewrite is spot-on. There are many of us here who will be more than happy to help you -- or anyone else -- to cope with the vagaries of the English language.
0 Replies

axi

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:34 am
thank you merry for this very nice welcome Smile

btw: what means spot-on? Embarrassed
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:43 am
That's a British colloquialism (though I'm not a Brit) meaning 'just right' or 'exactly.'
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 05:47 am
Spot-on : precise; matched.
From the slang derived from British newspaper photo contests wherein the contestant has to figure out where a football (soccer) ball is and place a circular disk over the spot exactly to win.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 07:56 am
And "spot-on" is the name of the youth magazine by the (German) English-learners magazine "spotlight" as well :wink:

axi

This is one of the best dictionaries - the best online, at least - for people like us :wink:
0 Replies