Catch a tiger by the toe.

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:46 am
Eenie, meenie, miny, moe.

When I was a kid, we didn't catch a tiger, we caught a ni--er. At the time, we had no idea what we were saying, it was just a word in the selection rhyme. I never realised the significance of it until years later. I don't know whether to be more horrified by the fact that none of the adults in our lives (parent AND teachers) ever tried to correct us, or that we obviously learnt it from someone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 643 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:01 am
Racism, especially of whites toward blacks, was pretty common up to at least the mid 20th century. There was a publisher of children's books in the United States, Golden Books, which had some wonderful titles. Although mostly small, short books for children, we had a Golden Book that was a hefty tome on the formation of the solar system, of the earth, and the evolution of life on earth. Nothing political, no mention of religion--it was just a straight-forward description of earth science written for children. It really stood me in good stead when i was a child in school.

I also remember seeing a Golden Book on a rack at the local grocery store, Little Black Sambo. At the time i just found it odd--there were no black people in our town, so i had no notion that it was racist, or that there was such an issue as racism. No one thought anything about it. The store manager simply asked me if i were going to buy the book, or just "paw" it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:10 am
We had /have Little Golden Books here too. I may have even had the title you referred to. My experience was in the 70's.
0 Replies