Have you ever fallen asleep at the movie theater?

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 11:46 am
http://www.imdb.com/poll/A6Y5f_C3_0Q/?ref_=po_fp

Was it a boring movie? Had too much to drink? Not used to staying out that late? Too comfortable seating? Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 3,948 • Replies: 50

jespah

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know my father has. Can't recall if I have.

Quote:
Dear Michael Bay,

Your movie gave me the best night's sleep I've had in years. Keep it up!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:06 pm
Ohhhh yeah. Even with good movies. Sometimes the chairs are toooo comfortable.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,

i dozed off (briefly!) during one of the LOTR's...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
I fallen asleep twice at the movie theater.
I. Thelma and Louise (1991): I went to see it when I was stationed at Fort Hood, TX and I must have been wrecked (dead tired). I did remember seeing most of the film.

II. Silver Linings Playbook (2012) : I went to the cinema with a couple of friends after drinking a tad too much wine. I don't remember seeing 90%+ of the film. I woke up at the end of the film (last couple of minutes before the credits).

Other times, I may have wanted to fall asleep because the movie was so dreadfully boring. Example: The Class (2008) Almost as bad as going to high school.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:25 pm
Slept through
Dr Zhivago
The Shining
Friday the Thirteenth
Several others
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
The Shining: Did you remember having horrible nightmares during that time? Shocked
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:32 pm

at home, i can pop in an old movie i've seen a thousand times and be sound asleep before the opening credits are over...
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:35 pm
Never fell asleep in a theater, but films on TV are better than sleeping pills.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:38 pm

BACKGROUND:

Recent divorce; not taking it well; seeing a psychiatrist; prescription of Valium; first date with a really nice girl.

We go to see Sound of Music.

(Music) “The hills are alive…”.

Crash…dead asleep.

Intermission: “Oh, I am so sorry. I am taking a medicine and I guess it knocked me out. Please accept my apology. This is very embarrassing."

Intermission ends. (Music) “The hills are alive…”.

Crash!

“You have to wake up, Frank. The movie is over."

End of first date…and end of last date with a very nice girl.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
What I did see of the movie bored me.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Years ago, dinner theaters were very popular. You got to eat a crappy meal and the show would begin. I only attended 3 times, since I was a guest with a bunch of friends, I usually forgot to ask what was playing. Want to guess what the play was? If you guessed "the sound of music" all three times, you'd be correct.

Dinner theater was awful, well at least for me.
trying2learn

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 12:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
No I haven't.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:26 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Dinner theater was awful, well at least for me.

There's a great scene in the movie, Soap Dish (1991), where Kevin Kline's character has fallen to a new low and has to work dinner theater and was lead in the play, Death of a Salesmen. After seeing that movie, I was completely turned off by the idea of dinner theater.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:44 pm
As an aside, I have only walked out of one movie...A Streetcar Named Desire. Bored me beyond comprehension.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 01:57 pm
I never have, but i have a friend, and i've gone to the movies with him many, many times. He always falls asleep.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:33 pm
@Region Philbis,
I did during the 2nd.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
While Zhivago walked across Siberia, I was sleeping.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've fallen asleep in a movie theater only once--the movie was "The Sting" and I slept through all of it.

My significant other and I had just eaten dinner out, a large meal consumed with some wine, before we headed for the theater. We were both looking forward to seeing this film, the reviews had been great. Unfortunately, a lot of other people felt the same way, and the theater was mobbed. We managed to get two of the last remaining seats, but they were in the front row, way too close to what (in those days) was a really huge screen.

As soon as the lights went down, and that screen lit up, the effect was almost blinding, it was hard to take in the picture, my eyes began to hurt and feel heavy. I began closing them, just for a few seconds at a time, to get relief... and the next thing I remember is my partner shaking me and telling me the movie was over. And he never let me live down the fact I had slept through an entire movie in a theater. He thought it was hilarious.

Maybe it was the large meal, and the wine, and the too-close seats, that contributed to my drifting off. But, then again, maybe not.

What's really weird is that, every time I've tried to watch "The Sting" on TV, I've fallen asleep not long after it started. Each and every time. Rolling Eyes. And I generally sleep through all of it. I finally bought a copy of it, just so I could try again, perhaps in the morning, after 2 cups of coffee, but, so far, I haven't worked up the nerve to give it a try. I'm really afraid it will have that same soporific effect no matter what, and I am just doomed not to see two of my favorite actors--Newman and Redford--in this flick.

Should I risk it? Dare I put on that DVD and see if I can manage to stay awake? Am I the victim of some sort of curse when it comes to watching this particular movie? Or should I just be happy I've found a sure-fire insomnia cure for any sleepless nights, and save any viewing attempts for those occasions? Laughing
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 02:45 pm
No, I haven't. I need quiet to sleep.

But I sure wish I HAD fallen asleep during a few.
0 Replies