U.S. Reveals Iraqi Prisoner Deaths as Scandal Grows

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 03:58 pm
By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Iraqi prisoners were murdered by Americans and 23 other deaths are being investigated in Iraq and Afghanistan, the United States revealed on Tuesday as the Bush administration tried to contain growing outrage over the abuse of Iraqi detainees.

"The actions of the soldiers in those photographs are totally unacceptable and un-American," Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said of humiliating images in the media of Iraqi prisoners. "Any who engaged in such action let down their comrades who serve honorably each day and they let down their country."

Army officials said the military had investigated the deaths of 25 prisoners held by American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan and determined that an Army soldier and a CIA contractor murdered two prisoners. Most of the deaths occurred in Iraq.

An official said a soldier was convicted in the U.S. military justice system of killing a prisoner by hitting him with a rock, and was reduced in rank to private and thrown out of the service but did not serve any jail time.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a private contractor who worked for the CIA was found to have committed the other homicide against a prisoner

Link to CNN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 807 • Replies: 8
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:00 pm
I really wonder if those actions are totally unacceptable generaly, or just when photos go public around the world?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:01 pm
No jail time sounds a bit odd, now that you mention it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:04 pm
Edited because the link did not work on the first attempt at posting
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:06 pm
I would hope these actions are totally unacceptable period. But they betray some mighty poor planning by the D of Defense. Nobody thought we'd be guarding thousands of prisoners a year after Iraq was "secured". Rummy's had a report on his desk for over a month now. Shame on him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:20 pm
Calling stuff "Un-American" - or "un-Australian" and such is just so dumb.

When will people realise that you can't send folk out to kill or be killed and expect that they will just naturally be all cutesy afterwards?

This sort of stuff happens, as far as I know, in all wars - all nationalities. I think it has to be predicted, and, if the military is serious about stopping it, that needs to be taken into account in managing troops.

I can hear howls that I am excusing it - I am not. I just think it is stupid and irresponsible not to predict it - because of some ridiculous belief that we are "the goodies" - and take steps to try and guard against it.

Of course, some of the military people here may know that what I am suggesting is already done.....

I think this sort of stuff is different from what seems to be the standardises abuse of prisoners for interrogation purposes.

There, I just hope that these pictures open up the whole area to scrutiny - I do not think America is alone in this sort of abuse.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:23 pm
roger wrote:
No jail time sounds a bit odd, now that you mention it.

Incidentally, the Military's internal report into prisoner torture does not recommend any jail time either.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:27 pm
"Un-American" is modern Newspeak for "Doubleplusungood".

(Obviously, this means that "American" stands for "Doubleplusgood" in modern Newspeak)
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 04:33 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think this sort of stuff is different from what seems to be the standardises abuse of prisoners for interrogation purposes..

There was an interview on NPR this morning with the former middle east correspondent for the New York Times. He stated that much of the "abuse" was occurring when prisoners were "softened up" by prison guards to make them more pliable for interrogation. I suspect that this was/is more systematic then we are being told and there is much more information to come.
0 Replies