with new eyes

WBYeats

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2014 11:32 pm
http://bodhi.name/book/eng/Christie%20-%20Crooked%20house.html

We were dining at Shepheard's when I made this discovery. It did not come to me with any shock of surprise, but more as the recognition of a fact with which I had been long familiar. I looked at her with new eyes - but I saw what I had already known for a long time. I liked everything I saw. The dark crisp hair that sprang up proudly from her forehead, the vivid blue eyes, the small square fighting chin, and the straight nose.

=============================
1. Does WITH NEW EYES mean my feeling towards her has changed?

2. Does PROUDLY means Sophy is confident of herself?

3. Does FIGHTING mean the two sides of her face show us that she has the power and confidence to get everything she desires?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 503 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 02:56 am
@WBYeats,

Quite good. It's a matter of interpretation, of course.

In my opinion:
1. I looked at her afresh. She has surprised me. I am re-evaluating her as a person.
2. Probably the "dark hair standing up proudly" gives her an air of confidence, yes
3. A jutting, square chin is said to show determination of character. Presumably therefore she would not shrink from a fight for things she believed in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 03:15 am
It is worth noting that the expression "with new eyes" does not necessarily refer to one's feelings. It simply means that someone has re-evaluated someone or something. It means that previous assumptions and perceptions have been set aside, and a new look is being taken at the subject. "With new eyes" cannot necessarily be assumed to be a description of an emotive process.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 04:31 am
THank you~
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 08:50 am
@WBYeats,
Quote:

2. Does PROUDLY means Sophy is confident of herself?

No, it doesn't address the lady; the subject is 'hair'. It means her hair stands up rather than lying flat against her head.
0 Replies