you study the arts in your old age

WBYeats

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 07:19 am

-It was his humour this afternoon to bait that ridiculous-looking little man, Hercule Poirot. ‘So even a policeman needs recreation?’ he said. ‘You study the arts in your old age, M. Poirot?’

‘I am not as insensitive to art in crime as you think. I can admire the perfect murder—I can also admire a tiger—that splendid tawny-striped beast. But I will admire him from outside his cage. I will not go inside. That is to say, not unless it is my duty to do so. For you see, Mr Shaitana, the tiger might spring…’ Mr Shaitana laughed. ‘I see. And the murderer?’ ‘Might murder,’

‘In real life people don’t bother about being too subtle, Mrs Oliver,’ said the superintendent. ‘They usually stick to arsenic because it’s nice and handy to get hold of.’

‘Real life’s a bit different,’ said Battle. ‘I know,’ said Mrs Oliver. ‘Badly constructed.’
==================
For that bold sentence, does it mean 'you learned art, music, theatre, literature, etc in your heyday, when you still had the ability to appreciate the arts/subjects of humanity'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 371 • Replies: 0
No top replies