They Wanted Us to Feel as Though We Were Women

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:10 pm
Very interesting isn't it. Here is another one which I believe to be directly related to is going on now:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20020729-9999_1n29mildrug.html
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:23 pm
Another interesting link to the violant nature of the US military. Fort Bragg where our Special Forces train: http://www.quakerhouse.org/DV-Military.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:19 pm
This thread was always one that stuck in my head.

And now the Lynndie England trial is on, and I have to wonder - where are they getting these soldiers?

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/05/05/news/abuse.php

Quote:
Wednesday was not the first time that England's capacity to discern right from wrong has been raised in her court-martial.

Earlier this week, a psychologist, Thomas Denne, director of assessment of the schools in the poor West Virginia area where England grew up, portrayed her as a troubled child, born a "blue baby" deprived of oxygen.

She suffering from a malformation of her tongue that required it to be clipped, he said.

As a result, he said, she was "electably mute." He said: "We knew she could talk. She just didn't."

England was so shy in kindergarten, Denne continued, that she spoke only to a teacher's aide and would not answer his questions.

Denne tested her again in the second, fifth and eight grades and found her to suffer, he said, from an inability to process information, an ailment affecting fewer than 2 children in 100.

But Denne said that by high school England had learned to manage her disability so that she graduated with a 3.0 average.

Pohl interrupted Denne's testimony to ask, "Are you saying she had trouble telling right from wrong?"

Denne replied, "I don't know that with great certainty, sir."

Pohl was not satisfied.

"The problem here," he told defense lawyers, "is you're creating some inference she had trouble knowing right from wrong."

The judge then instructed the jurors that in her guilty plea England "admitted she knew it was wrong and chose to do it."

But Pohl now appears to have revived his earlier doubts, which he will attempt to resolve in his questioning of England later.

Ralph Blumenthal reported from Fort Hood, Texas, and Timothy Williams contributed reporting from New York for this article.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:32 pm
Either Lynndie is a person who should have been screened out before she was inducted into the army,

OR

she has an attorney who wants to "pull out all the stops", so that his client gets leniency.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:37 pm
Quote:
FORT HOOD, Texas - A military judge Wednesday threw out Pfc. Lynndie England's guilty plea to abusing Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison, saying he was not convinced the Army reservist who appeared in some of the most notorious photos in the scandal knew her actions were wrong at the time.
The mistrial marks a stunning turn in the case and sends it back to square one.

Link

Wow!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:37 pm
An interesting case, and thread, in so many ways.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:39 pm
That's virtually the same article I linked to, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 05:41 pm
Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:16 pm
So - she is adult and functional enough to be allowed loose in another country with a gun and power over people's lives, but not adult and functional enough to be held responsible for her use of those things.

How many other mental children are scattered around the world in your military like kiddies in a toy shop - but with real dolls?

I do hope there shall be mass IQ testing of all your personnel.

From private to president.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:31 pm
What a great salomonic, trend-setting solution!

The US military should fill their ranks with still more soldiers like this woman.
The lack of morality (the inability to tell right from wrong) among the troopers is very convenient for any occupying army. No remorse. No convictability. No legal dependability. Just fun shootin' & torturin' stress releasin'.
Goodie! This way the US can prevent any political veteran backlash, like in Vietnam.
0 Replies