Quote:
Pets?

Yes pet.

I see now ... I missed that part.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 07:44 am
@boomerang,
To me, it influences, but doesn't dictate it.

I suppose the stance I would take if one morality is the opposite of another - how much does it really impact the business and is seen in the business itself? In other words, is there overtly part of the business itself -- ie signs around or when you go into the business anything that shows or states their viewpoint?

So if you did not look at facebook, would you even know about their personal opinions? I guess my point of view is there is always going to be something you do not like or support about someone else's opinion, morality, etc. And most often you do not even know their viewpoints.

Also on the flip side -- if there was nothing of the facebook information -- why would you shop there? Simply because they restored a former building rather than replacing one that was there? Or because you like food purchased directly from a supplier/its healthier/good for the environment?

You need to sort what is most important to you when going shopping. Simply buying at business because you like what they support? So you would buy crap because the owners support everything you support? I find a balance. I like to support smaller local businesses, for example, but only when it is for the items I want and need at the quality I want and need (and of course if the price is reasonable - I may pay slightly more, but not necessarily a huge amount more).
thack45

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:27 am
@Thomas,
After likewise giving it some more thought, I came to similar points, specifically about MY beliefs. I don't think I would fare well at all under the scrutiny of the general masses. Also atheist (nontheist, whatever), and leaning fairly left of center, I bet I could reveal one of my beliefs that even many here would wholeheartedly disagree with... Yes, boycotting feels like punishment, and; in this case, possibly inviting a nasty precedent.

Anyway, you've a better chance of changing the owner's mind by patronizing the store than you ever would by refusing to shop there and blowing up his FB wall. ...Boom, I think we got enough here for you to indulge in at least going there and poking around a bit Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:45 am
@thack45,
Agreeing with thack after going back and forth on the situation. That's dependent though on his actions re his beliefs, as some others have noted.
chai2

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:00 am
@thack45,
Excellent points have been made by thack, Thomas, ehbeth and others.

Not to open an old can of worms, but this reminds me of the Barilla idiocy.

They weren't refusing to sell to gays, hire gays or descriminate them in any way. Guido just said gays weren't their target market.

But many people had to jump on the campaign of the moment.

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:31 am
@chai2,
Right -- convenience doesn't determine where I shop but I certainly welcome convenience.

I try to group all of my shopping but some stores don't carry products I like so I'll make special trips to the stores that do. I can walk to most of the stores I shop at so fossil fuels don't enter into the picture much. Wasting gas is certainly an ethical issue.
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:39 am
@Thomas,
The alternative, in this case, is to continue shopping where I've been shopping, even though it's a bit more inconvenient.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:42 am
@PUNKEY,
I agree -- they were stupid and they brought this on themselves.

Apparently she didn't believe her facebook page, which hosted several articles against gay rights, would be made public. I don't think she understands facebook.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:48 am
@Setanta,
There's something to be said about knowing your customers though, the neighborhood she's moving into is a super liberal pocket of a very liberal city.

This is the city that fined a bakery hundreds of thousands of dollars for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple.
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 10:54 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
In the case of your farmer, the consequences of shopping at his store would be that the environment gets protected by consuming local crops; that my community's historic heritage, as embodied in this farm, gets preserved; that more animals get to live in reasonably-happy circumstances rather than factory-farming hell; and so forth.

Yes, that's all true. If it wasn't I wouldn't have a dilemma.
chai2

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Wasting gas is certainly an ethical issue.

Good deal.

If you can walk to different places, it's not inconvenience, it's exercise. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
We don't really know yet how their beliefs might be reflected in their business.

Discrimination isn't necessarily overt.

If they were secret skin heads and I found out about it I probably wouldn't shop there.
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:19 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
To me, it influences, but doesn't dictate it.

Yes, me too.

I didn't look at their facebook. I don't look at anyone's facebook. It was in the newspaper.

I do sometimes buy crap because I support a cause -- hundreds of door to door school kids raising money for whatever can testify to that!

And yes, I've gone into new business' in the area and bought things as a show of support. I try to encourage mom and pop shops and I'm willing to spend a little more on things if the quality is there.
boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:21 am
@thack45,
I don't blow up anybody's facebook. I don't facebook at all.

I'm sure my beliefs would not withstand such scrutiny either, which is why I don't make them public.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:33 am
Call me oversensitive but I don't think I'd like a gay selling food to me because how would we know he wasn't HIV positive or whatever?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:38 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You go too far sometimes. You certainly did now. Shame. I know you don't believe it, but this is so far out of line.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:39 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Because only gay people are HIV positive?

How very 1970s of you.
chai2

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:44 am
@boomerang,
....and of course you always have seen and ascertained the sexuality of every person who has handled your food.

Even more horrible, the person might not be HIV, but be whatever.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 11:51 am
In fairness to gays, let me say I also wouldn't like to buy food if a smoker has been handling it.
I'd buy other stuff from smokers and gays, but not food, no way hozay..Smile
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 02:27 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I do sometimes buy crap because I support a cause -- hundreds of door to door school kids raising money for whatever can testify to that!

Well that is cheap crap -- those that costs just a couple of dollars -- although I opt to just give them a couple of bucks instead. And not actually supporting a business, but a donation for their cause.

A business I won't buy crap from just to support a local business. But I will spend a little more especially for quality -- I won't spend tons more, but a reasonable amount more.
0 Replies