value-charging, $50

WBYeats

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:31 am
There is a certain card called Cuttlefish. With this Cuttlefish card we put value on it in convenience stores etc, so that when we use the bus service or buy things in stores that are priced with non-integers, we do not have to go through the trouble of using coins. In a restaurant/convenience store if I want to put value on such a card, what should I say in English?:

?value-charging, $50?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 577 • Replies: 14
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:09 am
@WBYeats,
Load my card with $--.
Put $--- on my card.
Give me $-- on my card.
Add $-- to my card.
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:11 am
We 'top up' or replenish the credit on our travel cards, mobile phones, etc, here in the UK.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:21 am
@JTT,
Don't forget to say "Please!" and "Thank-you!"!
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 10:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
For sure, Bobsal. Those were just examples of basic collocations.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 10:29 am
@contrex,
In a restaurant/convenience store you say, "please replenish my card for --pounds?

'Top up' denotes an upper limit. Is it used figuratively?
WBYeats

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 10:30 am
Thank you~
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 10:43 am
You credit your card with an amount when you add money to it.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 10:49 am
@chai2,
Do you think the verb 'credit' is commonly used in the situation WB asked about, Chai?

WB: In a restaurant/convenience store if I want to put value on such a card, what should I say in English?:
chai2

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 11:59 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Do you think the verb 'credit' is commonly used in the situation WB asked about, Chai?

WB: In a restaurant/convenience store if I want to put value on such a card, what should I say in English?:

Absolutely.

You would give them your starbucks card and say, "I'd like you to credit my card with $25.00"

The will know exactly what you are talking about.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 12:02 pm
@chai2,
I agree.

What about,

Please credit my card with $----. ?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 12:10 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
In a restaurant/convenience store you say, "please replenish my card for --pounds?

I'd probably say "I'll have a ten quid top-up please" and hand over the card for the person to swipe in the machine, but I might well write "Replenished phone card £10" in my diary.

Quote:
'Top up' denotes an upper limit. Is it used figuratively?

Well, we use it to mean to add an amount or payment that restores something to the level that is required, not always the maximum possible, or to remedy or prevent something running low.
JTT

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 12:25 pm
@contrex,
Quote:

Well, we use it to mean to add an amount or payment that restores something to the level that is required, not always the maximum possible, or to remedy or prevent something running low.

Now that you mention it, C, I must admit that that nuance does sound vaguely familiar.
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Now that you mention it, C, I must admit that that nuance does sound vaguely familiar.

Suppose I replenish my phone in 10 pound amounts. Before going on a trip I might call the 'check your credit' number and the recorded lady says "You have five pounds credit remaining" - I would top up with five pounds to restore my desired credit level.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 07:44 pm
@WBYeats,
$50 on the card please.

But,

In the real world I'd likely say:

This is a shtick-up, put all the credit on the USB, or else I'll unplug you.

In the imaginary world here I'd ponder:

Will I ever be able to " buy things in stores that are priced with non-integers"?

0 Replies